Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 05:29 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think she was just raised in the city in a trashy home. Not to be mean, but her parents were both alkies and after her father died when she was 13, her mother could no longer afford Catholic school, she ended up in a public school where she got beat up for her lunch money every day, then she ended up pregnant and had a kid at 16. To her credit, she dumped the baby's father and got a job with the city as a bus parts person when they were first being forced to hire more women and raised her kid until she met my now-ex's friend, who was bartending in her neighborhood. He and NJ were the ticket out of her crappy life. That's how we were friends, our husbands, and then we both had a kid at the same time, so for a few years, we hung out.

She wasn't unintelligent, but she was not familiar with how the world works outside of a low-class urban 'hood, and she was very defensive.
Interesting, ok. But I am still stuck on the thinking all men in NJ are volunteer firefighters thing. Have any basis you know of for that? What a strange assumption, seriously have never heard of anything like that before.

I've heard, "wow this beach is so clean!" in NJ and "wow there are so many trees!" from people not from here coming with obviously different expectations, but firefighters? What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 05:30 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You don't think Stephen King chose to live in Maine at random, do you?
LMAO. He was born there.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:38 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Interesting, ok. But I am still stuck on the thinking all men in NJ are volunteer firefighters thing. Have any basis you know of for that? What a strange assumption, seriously have never heard of anything like that before.

I've heard, "wow this beach is so clean!" in NJ and "wow there are so many trees!" from people not from here coming with obviously different expectations, but firefighters? What gives?
LMAO, I think she said something once about having an uncle in NJ who was a volunteer fireman and they gone to visit them and had a fire in the backyard. Or something.

Anyway, when she met her husband, she asked him if he was a volunteer firefighter, and he said no. Then when she moved to NJ, she asked if this one or that one was a firefighter, and then she seemed perplexed when so many were not, because, I guess, if the only NJ man you ever knew was a volunteer firemen, why that must mean all NJ men are. I think between this childhood visit to NJ and TV shows, she had some goofy ideas about the suburbs.

Someone else I knew dated a woman from the city, and when they had an argument at a party, she said she was leaving and was going to get a taxi back to the city. It was around midnight. About half an hour she storms back in complaining that she'd been standing out there all this time and not one cab had come by. This house was on a little side street in Fair Lawn. If you wanted a taxi, you had to CALL for one.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:44 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My aforementioned friend from the city (she's not actually a friend anymore, but that's a different story) used to give me plenty of ignorant things to laugh at besides her shock that there are APARTMENTS in New Jersey and that all the men aren't volunteer firefighters. There was a strange noise keeping her awake at night in late summer and she didn't know what it was. I had to tell her about crickets.

Then she took her kid to the park and "they had ducks there! Some even had green heads!"

But that wasn't as bad as the time other friends who had a place up in Maine invited them to come for the weekend. When they got back, I talked to the other friend and asked if they had a good time. She said no, it was awful bringing her there. They took a walk to the creek to let the kids play and brought sandwiches, but she just kept looking around nervously and wanted to go back to the house after only half an hour because she was afraid of wild animals. She kept complaining that there was "nowhere to go" and she was bored.

When I talked to the New Yorker--whose father had died young of a blood clot in the head a year after being mugged and beaten coming up out of the subway and left with seizures in the last year of his life--she said she couldn't sleep in Maine because there was nothing but woods around and she just knew that there were axe murderers in there who would come in the night and kill them all.

This woman was already in her thirties, by the way.
I feel sorry for her, but it's pretty funny, too. OMG! Crickets! Wild animals are going to eat me. They'd probably go for your neck first, so it shouldn't hurt too much.

Years ago I used to hike in the Pine Barrens alone. I had absolutely everything that a person could possibly need to survive out there for days. Mom was worried that I'd be murdered. I reminded her that a person has to murder you, and I never saw another person on those hikes.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the question isnt if we will be killed by an axe murderer; its when will we be killed by an axe murderer.
Machete. They're cheap.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:02 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
We are really close to buying a house in NJ, Bergen County. This was not our first choice, we were hoping to live on Long Island, but you have to pay 150k+ more for a house that need extensive renovation. In NJ you get move in ready house and much bigger property.

My question is: Has anyone regretted moving from the City? I guess I just need some reassurance from people who need to commute every day to NYC, be far from all the happenings and cultural life. Will we have enough things to do with our kids? I am aware some questions may sound stupid, but this is a big decision since I am not buying in my dream town. I just need someone to tell me things won't be as horrible as I am imagining
You might regret it every time you see your property tax bills.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Machete. They're cheap.
now that i am an owner of a home with property to maintain, ive used an axe to cut trees so i would also be concerned that the axe would penetrate too much and would get stuck. its annoying having to pull out a stuck axe.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 06-04-2019 at 12:11 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 11:14 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
now that i am an owner of a home with property to maintain, ive used an axe to cut trees to i would also be concerned that the axe would penetrate too much and would get stuck. its annoying having to pull out a stuck axe.
Flesh is different than wood. Besides it’s only really an issue if they don’t die on the first strike.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:55 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Flesh is different than wood. Besides it’s only really an issue if they don’t die on the first strike.
Hey, you're supposed to be putting people out, not cutting bits off of them. Isn't there some sort of AMA rule about doctor territories?

Old 06-04-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Hey, you're supposed to be putting people out, not cutting bits off of them. Isn't there some sort of AMA rule about doctor territories?
If some woman went into labor at the restaurant where he was dining or someone got bitten by a shark at the beach, he'd be all over it. There's a time and place for many things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey