Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 01:14 PM

42 posts, read 79,699 times

Advertisements

I am looking into buying a house in one of these areas. Good schools is a big factor. I see they are generally similar in the sense of having good schools and similar demographics.

How would you compare these three areas? Parameters are housing costs, school districts, other opportunities for kids, commute to city etc.

P.S: I did my research. Just wanted some more opinions before I take a leap.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 06:53 PM

98 posts, read 117,016 times
I'm actually looking myself as well. I currently rent in Plainsboro but here's what I know so far

$ = Cost of living
Princeton / West Windsor = $$$$ Elite/ Great schools house range 500K-1M+
South Brunswick = $$$ Decent School houses range from 300K to 600K+
North Brunswick = $$ Okay school house range 200K to 450K+
New Brunswick = $ Bad schools house range 200K to 300K+

Old 09-30-2019, 03:39 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiroop View Post
I am looking into buying a house in one of these areas. Good schools is a big factor. I see they are generally similar in the sense of having good schools and similar demographics.

How would you compare these three areas? Parameters are housing costs, school districts, other opportunities for kids, commute to city etc.

P.S: I did my research. Just wanted some more opinions before I take a leap.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by HastroX View Post
I'm actually looking myself as well. I currently rent in Plainsboro but here's what I know so far

$ = Cost of living
Princeton / West Windsor = $$$$ Elite/ Great schools house range 500K-1M+
South Brunswick = $$$ Decent School houses range from 300K to 600K+
North Brunswick = $$ Okay school house range 200K to 450K+
New Brunswick = $ Bad schools house range 200K to 300K+
I'm curious as to why East Brunswick isn't on either one of your lists. It's definitely the best Brunswick school-wise.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:36 PM

318 posts, read 450,779 times
If schools are the main priority I would stick with Princeton/ West Windsor or South Brunswick. North Brunswick is definitely more affordable, however you would be taking a big drop off in school quality. Not that the schools are necessarily "horrible" in North Brunswick but West Windsor and Princeton are consistently rated top in the state.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2jm3jm4jm5 View Post
If schools are the main priority I would stick with Princeton/ West Windsor or South Brunswick. North Brunswick is definitely more affordable, however you would be taking a big drop off in school quality. Not that the schools are necessarily "horrible" in North Brunswick but West Windsor and Princeton are consistently rated top in the state.

So would you say South Brunswick is better than North Edison in terms of schools? Because I heard more about JP Stevens than other high schools in the area.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:36 AM

206 posts, read 116,627 times
Quote:
So would you say South Brunswick is better than North Edison in terms of schools? Because I heard more about JP Stevens than other high schools in the area.
They are all good schools. West Windsor and JP stevens probably are slightly better than Princeton high but living in Princeton gives parents access to top notch charter schools.

South Brunswick school system is rapidly improving and is on the way up thanks to all the smart Indian students.

You can't go wrong academically with any of the choices.

I would actually argue that like much of NJ, these schools are actually too competitive for the average normal kid.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:08 PM

351 posts, read 271,225 times
If those were the only options I would pick Princeton

Old 10-04-2019, 07:00 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,892 times
Quote:
Though some may not agree with me, a good school does not equate to good grades or academic achievement. Both, SB and NE have good schools, so you can't go wrong. However, one of your criteria is commute to city, and NE would save you a good 30 minutes.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:52 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,014 times
AGAIN, why isn’t East Brunswick a consideration? With the exceptions of WW/P and Princeton, the schools are better than all the other towns being mentioned.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
AGAIN, why isn’t East Brunswick a consideration? With the exceptions of WW/P and Princeton, the schools are better than all the other towns being mentioned.

Are you saying East Brunswick high school is better than JP Stevens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey