Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Jersey: real estate, realtor, agent, list on mls, market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:15 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,324 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm just hoping to get some other thoughts about this. I spoke to a an agent and gave him an idea of what we are looking for and mentioned a couple of specific places I had seen online. He sent me a few listings and said if I saw something on the internet I want more info about, I should give him the listing numbers. Am I wrong to think the he should go on realtor.com himself and look? Why would I give him the numbers so he can call the other agent - can't I just do that myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,621,229 times
You can call the other agent but dont forget that agent listed the house in my opinion he/she will be looking out more for the buyers. You can give the one you talked to the mls numbers he is supposed to call the other agent (thats why you have an agent) and get more info for you.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:32 AM

17 posts, read 63,046 times
Real estate is such a scam. You really have to protect yourself and understand the process before you dive in with a realtor. They have a MLS system that they rights to. That's why they ask for the number. Make sure to ask for how much it sold for and how long its been on the market. Be careful: Some houses are re-listed again after expiration to deceive (only shows 10 days instead of 300) you. A good realtor would also do an town analysis for you. Unfortunately, some bad apples won't do this because it increases the price and thus increases the fee. These types will feed you very little info. If they don't do this work, dump them immediately. Use Zillow.com to really see what range that property is worth as well. As you can tell, I've been through the process for a long time. They are good realtors out there though.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:35 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,621,229 times
good pts Jr so I gave you a rep pt. It is correct that many say new listings but have been on the market for ages.......your realtor will and can tell you that I know mine has. There are decent realtors out there I know I had one he was great. And it was our 5th time buying so I would say he was the best.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:48 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Hi, I'm just hoping to get some other thoughts about this. I spoke to a an agent and gave him an idea of what we are looking for and mentioned a couple of specific places I had seen online. He sent me a few listings and said if I saw something on the internet I want more info about, I should give him the listing numbers. Am I wrong to think the he should go on realtor.com himself and look? Why would I give him the numbers so he can call the other agent - can't I just do that myself?
I did this with our NJ agent on a couple of properties. He was able to send me the entire listing (what you do not see on realtor.com.) For example, original list price, days on the market, etc... He knew what we were looking for and actually went to those properties prior to our trip there to rule out whether or not they were viable. Maybe he is just trying get more information about those listings for you. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:49 AM

Thanks very much. I know that in this process the only one who will really be on my side is ME. I think I'm just trying hard to not waste my time, or waste too much of my time - haha. Is it normal for them to expect me to find houses? I'm just trying to find out early if this is one of the bad ones. If it's me and I'm working for commission I'm scouring the earth to bring things TO my clients. Not just offering to be the go between and call the number listed on a property they found themselves.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:54 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,021,293 times
There are so many sites that buyers can see listings. Motivated buyers spend countless hours looking through these sites. They have limited info and an agent can fill you in with the details. It is wise to choose an agent that you are confident with. They cannot be there every moment that you decide to browse the internet. Loyalty goes a long way. Build a buyer team. Mortgage rep, attorney, home inspector, this will also show any seller that you have all your ducks in a row. Good Luck

Old 04-15-2008, 09:59 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,941,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Yes, you can just call the listing agent if you want to. And he should be out there looking at and searching for houses that he feels will meet the criteria you gave him. At the same time, he knows that you are ng he knows that ing a probably going to be looking as well. If you should see something that interests you, you should let him know about it, so he can do all the proper fact finding. I would hope he's not expecting you to do all the searching yourself, but he allows for the possibility that you see something he didn't see. Also, you might see a house that he has eliminated as possibility because of something he knows about that house. For instance, (and I use this example because it actually happened to me last year) let's say that you (or your spouse) are very tall; over 6'. You see a house on line that looks like it's everything you want. You wonder why your agent never sent this to you, as it's been listed for over 4 weeks already. So you call the listing agent, make an appointment to go see it with her. You go through the house with them, and it's nice enough. Until you get to the Master suite, which, in this 1964 cape cod, is in what was once the attic. Nice large space, but built right up against the steep sloped roof line. The master bath is over in the corner, and the shower is built right on the roofline. So that 6' tall person will have to either stoop during their entire sower, or try to make sure they don't move fron the one little 8" wide spot that actually reaches to a height sufficiant to allow them to stand.

Most likely he wants you to send anything you like so that he can get a feel for what it is that you like. He doesn't want to miss anything.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 AM

All excellent points. I think I'm going to see if he sends me anything else in the next couple of days just to see if he puts some effort in. It's so hard!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:46 AM

94 posts, read 428,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrippity View Post
A good realtor would also do an town analysis for you. Unfortunately, some bad apples won't do this because it increases the price and thus increases the fee.

if I'm not mistaken, when purchasing a property, the bank has an appraiser physically view and perform a market value appraisal. meaning a true value of the property in todays market so that the bank can make sure the house is worth what it is selling for and worth the amount of money they are lending the buyer to make this purchase. So my point is , a realtor or seller or a plain old joe walking down the street can tell you that house is worth whatever they want to say its worth, but the sale wont go through unless the property is appraised "A valuation by an authorized person" an appraiser.
so where and how does this town analysis that some realtors dont give you
increase the value and fee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: