Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2019, 07:12 PM

7 posts, read 8,171 times

Advertisements

I would like some current opinions on Westwood. I did some searches and wasn’t able to find many recent posts.

I am looking at a home in the area of Lafayette Ave, but near the intersection of 4th Ave and Forest Ave. How is this area? Are there areas that I should avoid?

How is Westwood these days? I have visited the downtown area a few times and it seems very friendly. Are the schools still good?

My wife and I are looking at a few homes. One is brand new construction between $850k and $900k for a 3,200 SF house, but with an unfinished basement. Is that too high for the town?

I greatly appreciate your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 08:34 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Westwood is my hometown. Careers took us away but still have family and friends there, and I miss it. Great town, great people, good schools.

Westwood is completely safe. But, I wouldn't spend that kind of money to live near the intersection of Forest and 4th. Why would you want to be so close to a major traffic artery? Have you checked out Goodwin Park? Older homes, definitely, but it's a beautiful area with wide quiet streets. First and Second Ave are also nicer than 4th, and you'd have an easy walk into town.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:04 AM

7 posts, read 8,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Westwood is my hometown. Careers took us away but still have family and friends there, and I miss it. Great town, great people, good schools.

Westwood is completely safe. But, I wouldn't spend that kind of money to live near the intersection of Forest and 4th. Why would you want to be so close to a major traffic artery? Have you checked out Goodwin Park? Older homes, definitely, but it's a beautiful area with wide quiet streets. First and Second Ave are also nicer than 4th, and you'd have an easy walk into town.
Thanks for the info!

The house isn’t at the intersection. It is further down Lafayettte, actually close to the baseball field at Sherry Park, if that makes a difference? I just didn’t know how to best describe the area.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:05 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
In or around Cardinal Lane? I still wouldn't spend that kind of money to live in that area. You're between busy Ridgewood and Forest Ave. The charm of Westwood is due to the vibrant downtown and older, but well-kept housing stock. Those huge new homes seem out of place, (but that's just my opinion).

Old 07-26-2019, 08:43 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
In or around Cardinal Lane? I still wouldn't spend that kind of money to live in that area. You're between busy Ridgewood and Forest Ave. The charm of Westwood is due to the vibrant downtown and older, but well-kept housing stock. Those huge new homes seem out of place, (but that's just my opinion).
Couldn't agree more. Westwood is great though.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:47 PM

586 posts, read 314,030 times
I've lived about a half mile away for 38 years. Westwood and Washington Twp. have a combined school system. My daughter did fine and got into a top college. Before retirement, I worked in the area as a decorating contractor for 40 years. If this is the house you want and the price is right, you'll have no problems.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:51 PM

595 posts, read 1,557,913 times
the values in westwood have been so so, its not the most in demand area. if you haven't checked, go to njmls.com and select sold and it will show you. for a new house at that price range, you are honestly better off looking in river edge..if you are looking for new. taxes in westwood aren't low, and they arent low in river edge either....but at least the schools are better in river edge. i personally feel you would be overpaying for that much to live in westwood....the schools are just okay, the public transit is further away so longer, values havent really improved in the town, and while the downtown is cute, the reputation of the town is still just okay....nothing special and not that desirable, people buy there when they run out of options. its better than other towns like dumont and bergenfield, but its not in the same league as paramus, river edge, oradell , hillsdale, etc.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:56 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
the values in westwood have been so so, its not the most in demand area. if you haven't checked, go to njmls.com and select sold and it will show you. for a new house at that price range, you are honestly better off looking in river edge..if you are looking for new. taxes in westwood aren't low, and they arent low in river edge either....but at least the schools are better in river edge. i personally feel you would be overpaying for that much to live in westwood....the schools are just okay, the public transit is further away so longer, values havent really improved in the town, and while the downtown is cute, the reputation of the town is still just okay....nothing special and not that desirable, people buy there when they run out of options. its better than other towns like dumont and bergenfield, but its not in the same league as paramus, river edge, oradell , hillsdale, etc.
I totally agree with this post. Westwood is a good town, but its the next option ( along with Washington Twp and maybe Emerson) when you can't afford Ridgewood, Paramus, River Edge, Oradell, River Vale and so on. ( I grew up in Oradell)

I would never spend 850K in Westwood. Its a nice town, but not 850K nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey