Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 11:27 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times

Advertisements

I am a rising senior in college right now living here in NJ and obviously if you have seen my username before, I have Washington, Oregon, New Mexico, and Colorado as my potential choices of where to move. I am an IT major and I plan on applying for IT jobs and jobs outside my major.

I have some important questions based on these states:

1. Do these states do phone/Skype/FaceTime interviews and will they waste my time and money making me fly there for a interview (unless it's a second interview). Even though I live here in NJ and am applying for internships or part time jobs, most of them do phone interviews.

2. How long do you tend to hear back from jobs in these states? I want to gtfo of my parents' house not extremely long after graduation if I am lucky.

3. After hearing back, when should I move? I will drive my car across the country with my stuff (I won't need a U-Haul).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 11:40 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
1) I have heard that if an employer is interested in someone, they fly you down at their expense,,, as long as it not a scam?

2) No one set of times, each job depends on the needs and scheduling of that employer. No set answer, some jobs are tomorrow or right now, some are subject to various approvals etc taking time.

3) You can figure that one out yourself without anyone else guessing. Depends much on all other details.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:44 AM

10,483 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Don't they teach this at college?

1. Generally all companies do phone interviews, and if they like you enough they will burden the cost and fly you out to meet face to face.

2. It depends on the company, but if a company likes you they will want you asap, so no one else snatches you.

3. You will sign an offer with the employer that has a start date. That will totally be up to you and your employer, I would want some time to find a place to live and have at least some time to move and settle before starting work.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Don't they teach this at college?

1. Generally all companies do phone interviews, and if they like you enough they will burden the cost and fly you out to meet face to face.

2. It depends on the company, but if a company likes you they will want you asap, so no one else snatches you.

3. You will sign an offer with the employer that has a start date. That will totally be up to you and your employer, I would want some time to find a place to live and have at least some time to move and settle before starting work.
oops wrong forum guys

Old 08-13-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
1) I have heard that if an employer is interested in someone, they fly you down at their expense,,, as long as it not a scam?

2) No one set of times, each job depends on the needs and scheduling of that employer. No set answer, some jobs are tomorrow or right now, some are subject to various approvals etc taking time.

3) You can figure that one out yourself without anyone else guessing. Depends much on all other details.
oops wrong forum guys.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:56 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Wait, wasn't the same guy who was talking about getting "forklift certified"???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey