Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 09:34 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times

Advertisements

Sports in colleges are not a huge thing here on the East Coast? UConn, Syracuse, Penn State, Maryland, Georgetown, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Duke, Pitt, UVA, VTech, UNC, NC State, Villanova, Buffalo, and probably a few others would like to have a word with you. Even some of the Ivies have good basketball programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 05:28 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
[quote=dcb175;56196336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Just Princeton. And Rutgers. And Kean. Or William Paterson. Montclair State. Or NJIT. Seton Hall.

So yeah, I suppose it's not as amazing as... Wyoming?[/QUOTE

The ones I bolded above don't really have name recognition outside of NJ. Princeton does (obviously). Rutgers kinda does (how many people on the West Coast know it's the state university of NJ) although it is a good school.

And fair, Wyoming doesn't compare, what with it's 700K population and all. Compared to states with similar demographics, NJ does fall short:

MA: Duh
PA: Penn, Penn State, Pitt, Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette, etc.
NY: Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Colgate, Union, Syracuse, etc.
MD: Johns Hopkins, Univ. of Maryland
VA: UVA, William & Mary, VA Tech, Richmond
CT: Yale, UConn, Fairfield, Wesleyan, Coast Guard Academy

I guess my point is, for a wealthy state in the NE with 8M people, there aren't a lot of elite colleges. Which is probably why so many go away for school (although I've said before I think people should go away to experience something new, if they are able to financially.)
Most people I knew who went out of state to school didn't go to elite colleges in other states. Most went to some other state schools or small colleges I'd never heard of, often in PA, which seems to be a big college destination for my area.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:54 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
I came from out of state to attend Rutgers as they were one of only a few schools that had my major at that time. I definitely felt like an outsider during my freshman year. I remember the first couple days all the kids in my dorm were talking about what high school they went to and many were already friends before Rutgers. The only other out of state people I ever really met during my 4 years there were from Long Island.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:29 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
B1G schools have a reputation for having good academics, and therefore good job prospects.

They just arent as tough as the Ivy League to get into. There B1G schools are next best option.

I think it is basically kids who want good jobs, but know they dont have the connections to get into an Ivy League school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey