Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2019, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 6,364 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I wanted to get some advice from NJ residents...

I will be working in NYC but I have elementary school kids and need to find a new house in community with good schools/easy commute to NYC and good diversity, etc. We are Indians (from South East Asia) and would like some good Indian community nearby for my parents who visit us. My max price budget is 900K.

- Which cities/areas would be ideal?
- Any good areas that have a good Indian community?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 09:14 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
What do you consider an “easy commute” to NYC? The obvious choice here is Edison, but you may consider that too far away. Parsippany-Troy Hills is closer but less neighrborood-like. Technically the Indian business district in Edison isn’t even in Edison but rather Iselin, a section of Woodbridge that borders Edison. But Edison is where to live for the better schools.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:19 PM

387 posts, read 616,419 times
While I can provide you a very high level reply, you will find a wealth of information if you use keyword search feature within the forum. It will give you a more rounded perspective around area demographics, school, commute time to work, pros and cons of multiple towns and more importantly commentary around why certain people chose a town while others decided to move out of the same. Some of those narratives might resonate with your desires or challenges.

Also there is a sticky posted on the forum where based on your details folks can point you in the right direction.

NJ as a state does not lack diversity (for most part). Generally those towns on train lines are much sought after for an obvious reason and "typically" might be more diverse. Especially if you apply a filter of 1 to 1:30 hour door to desk commute.

With those very broad statements I would say everything from Jersey City, Hoboken, Nutley, Harrison, Ridgewood, Livingston, Edison, Paramus, Parsippany, Woodbridge, South Brunswick, Piscataway are some of the towns that readily come to mind. There will be plenty others where you will find enough Indians for company though their percentage will vary.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:49 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Technically the Indian business district in Edison isn’t even in Edison but rather Iselin, a section of Woodbridge that borders Edison. But Edison is where to live for the better schools.
Actually, the "Indian Business District" on Oak Tree Road encompasses both Iselin and Edison. While most of the Indian businesses are located on the Iselin side of the border, there are definitely a number of Indian stores/food establishments on the Edison side of the border.

I do agree in regard to the schools. While Iselin's schools are far better than any of the other schools in Woodbridge Twp, without question they are still inferior to the schools in Edison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey