Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 03:00 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,231,272 times

Advertisements

It's not just retirees leaving the state. It's also working parents whose kids are out of the school system. In my expensive Essex County town, the joke is that you will see two signs in the front yard of a house - "My son/daughter just graduated from HS!" and "House for sale." I'll bet a lot of them move back to NYC, to be replaced by another young family from Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 03:29 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,367,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
It's not just retirees leaving the state. It's also working parents whose kids are out of the school system. In my expensive Essex County town, the joke is that you will see two signs in the front yard of a house - "My son/daughter just graduated from HS!" and "House for sale." I'll bet a lot of them move back to NYC, to be replaced by another young family from Brooklyn.
It's probably true. A lot of people I know in NJ with children were living in the city before. They moved to NJ for the suburban family life and public schools. Now some are looking at purchasing real estate in NYC again because the kids are gone.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:01 PM

23,589 posts, read 17,269,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'm not surprised. Letting a single-term Democratic governor drive you so bonkers that you uproot and leave your home state is about the most "boomer" thing imaginable.
Murphy is part of an unbroken line of democrat govs, both houses dominated by dems, murphy is the compounded accumulation of bad governors especially now as a declared sanctuary state and all that implies. CC was hamstrung by dem dominated legislature. So in that sense the string of dem control is unbroken.

The voters are the reason hope is lost. murph gets a 35 % turnout of which he had to have at least 17% of voters cast for him. Imagine, 17% of voters determine the fate of the large majority of residents.

Murphy is a byproduct of the real problem, NJ voters who do not vote. Elected officials have term limits, NJ voters do not.

Last on lists of best places and first on list of worst places. A lock on that position. Static, one party state, legal and illegal corruption run by lawyers elected to office.

Nj is an exceptional state, a wonderful state.....ruined by the befuddled and confused voters that just won't move away and whose capacity for tolerance is infinite when it comes to political abuse.

All we know is word comes down from the mountain and becomes law. No meaningful discussion, debate, just burdened with what ever the one party system decides.

Nj regs make leaving the state a requirement for retirees, especially state workers.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:00 PM

10,512 posts, read 7,050,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Honeywell planned the moving of its headquarters to Charlotte long before Murphy's election.
Very familiar with the situation and that is wrong. It was due to personal tax rates of executives who lived in the state. They wanted to get out NJ so bad and quickly they moved the Company without even a planned office, location or temporary location in Charlotte. After the announcement they had a 4 month window for everyone to move.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:19 PM

551 posts, read 1,189,858 times
I just have a personal example to share. I have property in jersey and looking now in Fl, Tx, and NC - from a property tax example all these other states are 50% less than what I pay yearly now. From a salary perspective, I will lose 20% flat. From groceries and utilities and trash removal etc there is an increase compared to NJ at 10% There is no state tax at some of these as well.. I have not yet compared tax implications

Old 01-17-2020, 05:42 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,694,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
When would "the Murphy effect" begin? This data was for all of 2019. Murphy was governor for an entire year before 2019 began. Then he was governor all through 2019. This data is for 2019. Clearly his effect on the state has turned into real numbers at this point.

I mean, the data also literally shows that the vast majority of people moving out of state are retirement age and around 1/3 said their primary reason for moving was retirement. Idk why you're trying to fight actual data. Data is data. Your opinion is your opinion. The former is a concrete fact. The latter is just your personal feelings unsubstantiated by anything relevant.

House prices stagnating is likely for two main reasons, among many others. 1) The federal tax scam. Limits on local deductions would of course affect how much people are willing or able to spend on a house. 2) If so many people are moving out of state, that frees up housing. Supply and demand is real. NJ is growing, but slowly IIRC. If the supply is near the demand, it would make sense that prices would stagnate. If supply is low and demand is high, prices go up. If supply is high and demand is low, prices go down. It's honestly a very simple concept.

Combine the above two reasons, and you have stagnating housing prices.

Housing costs are the only factor that goes into a booming economy. If you look at the data, a huge percentage of people moving to NJ moved for a job. If the economy is so terrible, why did 54% of people move here for a job? Stagnating housing costs do not solely determine the health of an economy. I'd also say that housing costs plateauing is a good thing, not a bad thing. If the unemployment rate is low, the majority of people are moving here for a job, and the housing market is remaining steady, why is that bad?
There is no murphy effect ,just mad voters that didn't get their way .

Old 01-17-2020, 05:47 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,694,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Very familiar with the situation and that is wrong.

No , you are incorrect. The move had nothing to do with Murphy as you are alleging .

Old 01-17-2020, 07:57 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,490,104 times
the older residents are actually colonizers that help gentrify and pacify the south.

They help center the country and improve the pizza and bagel situation down there and advocate for more passenger rail

Old 01-17-2020, 08:42 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,527,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I don't know why people automatically think you need high taxes to have good schools. I pulled up this article as an example. States like Florida, Washington, Nebraska, and Virginia are all in the top 10 and those are certainly not high tax states, at least not compared to NJ. And believe it or not, I know so many people in lower ranked states that have sent their kids to public schools and they have been very successful in life. There is no unwritten rule that you have to send your kids to private school in these areas.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education
Completely agree. The fallacy that money is needed for good school systems is a lie perpetuated by those in poor neighborhoods who don’t emphasize education at home. And leftists.

In fact, the reason why the argument holds any water is because high property taxes keeps the riff raff and their ilk out keeping good school systems, well.. good.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:26 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,238,405 times
As soon as you get old enough to pay taxes you want out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey