Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 12:25 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times

Advertisements

Older folk from Nj are taking their money to FL DE NC SC. Large amount of boomers are retiring, so thats why the pop is slowly decreasing.

And the economy in Nj Isnt doing well so theres no real influx of millenials since outside Cape May there really is no draw to NJ. Ive been everywhere in nj and its just an OK state at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 12:31 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
4) The highest inbound age range is 65+ (unsure as to why) followed by 35-44 comprising around 1/4 of inbound moves. The 35-44 range is likely young families moving in from NYC.

I think I may know why that 65 + inbound range is so high. The people who move to Arizona or Florida or like me, North Carolina start getting so elderly or senile, that their children who live in NJ, "import them" back to NJ to take care of them or put them in a nearby nursing home.

Old 01-17-2020, 12:46 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Older folk from Nj are taking their money to FL DE NC SC. Large amount of boomers are retiring, so thats why the pop is slowly decreasing.

And the economy in Nj Isnt doing well so theres no real influx of millenials since outside Cape May there really is no draw to NJ. Ive been everywhere in nj and its just an OK state at best.
Lol this is honestly a really dumb statement. Yeah, Cape May is the only draw in the entire state. Have you heard of Hudson County? I won't list all the other places, but Hudson County alone proves you wrong.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:28 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Quote:

WRONG. NJ’s state population is slightly increasing, not by much, but it’s not decreasing as you mistakenly stated. It’s estimated the population grew 1.3% between 2010 and 2018.

And Cape May County, the only “draw” in the state according to you, is estimated to have lost 4.8% of its population during the same timeframe.

Millennials and Gen Z have been moving in droves to Hudson County and to an extent nearby areas in Bergen County and Essex County for quite some time now. You don’t know what you are talking about.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:37 PM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'm not surprised. Letting a single-term Democratic governor drive you so bonkers that you uproot and leave your home state is about the most "boomer" thing imaginable.
Honeywell left the state because of Murphy's taxes.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Honeywell left the state because of Murphy's taxes.

Honeywell planned the moving of its headquarters to Charlotte long before Murphy's election.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:

One of the reasons NJ has slow growth is because it's nearly out of buildable land. Where in say, Bergen County, are you going to find 100 acres that you could build median-priced homes on? Nowhere to be sure! Also, those older folks die in FL DE NC and SC, with their houses sold and estates settled, and that nice wad of cash goes back to their NJ children and grandchildren.

Last edited by TheEmissary; 01-17-2020 at 02:01 PM..

Old 01-17-2020, 02:04 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
WRONG. NJ’s state population is slightly increasing, not by much, but it’s not decreasing as you mistakenly stated. It’s estimated the population grew 1.3% between 2010 and 2018.

And Cape May County, the only “draw” in the state according to you, is estimated to have lost 4.8% of its population during the same timeframe.

Millennials and Gen Z have been moving in droves to Hudson County and to an extent nearby areas in Bergen County and Essex County for quite some time now. You don’t know what you are talking about.
Im talking about 2018-2019, the most recent census estimates. It dropped by 3k in population, due to an increase of boomers hitting retirement age and moving down south for half the year and to save money on taxes/social security. Its just there was a huge boom of baby's (Baby Boomers) from 1946-1964 that are now hitting retirement age and CT NJ NY PA MA RI IL etc are all seeing the drops in their populations of older folk. I wouldn't sweat this round of drops, because again, its mostly older folk leaving the state. I cant find the exact numbers.. but they were the primary source of the drop, alongside a decreasing birthrate seen nationwide.

Yes the millennial population is growing, but not nearly as much as WA, OR, MA, NC, DMV. Yeah Hudson County is great and all, but its not a huge draw. Albeit, Hoboken is great to party in. What I meant about Cape May is its the best thing the state offers for recreations alongside the Delaware Water Gap, Jersey City Financial District and some other things in the state. However, these thing arent enough to keep people in NJ in the lower millennial range. Sure its increasing, but it needs to a lot better to balance the population loss it will see in the 2020s from even more boomers exiting the state.

As a borderline millennial, I had a job option in NJ ... but I didnt really like the area in Hudson County, and to boot, all of my NJ friends my age hated it and went to DMV, Boston, San Fran or Denver. NJ blah to most people my age. It would have been just 11 miles from where I was living in Queens (As a crow flies). Im just being real here.. people my age dont want to live in NJ even after visiting it. But its a very fixable issue. Heck I dont want to live in Boston anymore because a beer costs $11 now because the liquor licenses are 500k. Its unrealistic. Some of these Northern states really need to fix up and become marketable towards younger folk. DC has done a great job at that. I understand there was a slight uptick in millennial growth (Mostly due to NYC affordability) but you can't take offense to this, because nothing will get done. NJ Transit needs to be fixed up, signals improved as well, better light rail service from JC to Hoboken to Weehawken and Edgewater and then somehow fixing the property taxes. No one my age wants to move to NJ also because if I buy a 500k house, my property taxes will be almost 15k a year for a mediorce suburb in Bergen County. Thats absurd. I don't want to settle down and be charged 15k. Where I live now would be 7k for a 500k home, which I ever decided to settle here (Which I dont.. trust me... ) would save me 8k in property taxes a year for the same priced unit. There is a whole economic side to this. NJ Could be a great state and honestly should be drawing more Millenials than it does, because Hoboken alone is better than any other city Ive been to, to party in. Ive made that very clear. I like it better than NYC, Miami, LA etc to party in. But the few jobs in my field, traffic woes/congestion, property taxes when I settle and lack of rail service to where I need to go have pulled me and my friends out/away from NJ. And NJ was actually on my radar for about 6 years... But agian NNJ is no draw, because its so unrealistic to live there if you want to settle.

A good way to manage the 2020s dip for most Northern States with the exception of Delaware and New Hampshire, would be to drop the tax on social security checks. Maybe even attempt to restructure the budget and see if state income taxes could be lowered for the middle income? That should help retain some folks and help balance the loss. I wish MA would do this... because just lookng at the pyramid right now, well remain flat in growth for the 2020s.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 01-17-2020 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-17-2020, 02:33 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I know a couple in Florida, both teachers, who sent their child to private schools because their district was terrible. They'd know because that's what they did for a living.

High taxes don't necessarily buy a great education, but it usually means that there are working bathrooms, a decent library/media center, and extracurricular activities.

My son started school in North Carolina, and parents were asked to donate toilet paper, liquid soap, tissues, paper towels, and a whole lot more. Toilet paper? They had a monthly allotment.
In the aftermath of the bloodbath at Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS (one of Florida's "best" high schools) last year, it was revealed that their budget for paper had run out in December, necessitating that their poorly-paid teachers had to supply paper for tests and other classroom activities for the rest of the year. If the budget for copy paper was so meager, I would hate to see how little is spent on textbooks and other materials.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:46 PM

50 posts, read 49,343 times
jessemh431 is correct on nearly all accounts

the economy is booming, housing prices are up, people are moving TO NJ, and the State is in great shape financially

Murphy or a republican...doesn't matter

He's done a fine job IMO

Things are good in NJ right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey