Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 01:00 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
This might just be a Hispanic thing but ask a kid I remember anytime we went to someone’s house party in the winter, the guests would just pile up theirs coats on a bed somewhere and when the parents weren’t looking the kids would play on top of the pile of coats.
It’s a Utah thing, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 02:51 PM

668 posts, read 471,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
It’s all relative. My 119 year old home doesn’t have a coat closet.

No closets downstairs whatsoever.

Same here, my house was built in 1900, and zero closets downstairs.

Old 02-23-2020, 02:52 PM

8,502 posts, read 4,744,511 times
I didn’t even know closets by the front door were a thing!

Old 02-23-2020, 02:55 PM

668 posts, read 471,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
This might just be a Hispanic thing but ask a kid I remember anytime we went to someone’s house party in the winter, the guests would just pile up theirs coats on a bed somewhere and when the parents weren’t looking the kids would play on top of the pile of coats.

LOL definitely NOT just a hispanic thing!!! I remember doing this as a kid. Still being done at large gatherings!

Old 02-23-2020, 03:45 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I didn’t even know closets by the front door were a thing!
We have a coat closet by the front door of the house in which I grew up. As someone else mentioned, the front door puts you right into the living room. There is a double-size closet to the left. We all kicked our shoes into there when we came in, except for my father, who never took off his shoes. He took off his legs, but he did that in the bedroom. The shoes stayed on the legs.

The house was built in 1957.

Like everyone else, I remember parties where all the coats went on the bed. I also remember waking up underneath a pile of coats on a bed at a party.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:52 PM

8,502 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We have a coat closet by the front door of the house in which I grew up. As someone else mentioned, the front door puts you right into the living room. There is a double-size closet to the left. We all kicked our shoes into there when we came in, except for my father, who never took off his shoes. He took off his legs, but he did that in the bedroom. The shoes stayed on the legs.

The house was built in 1957.

Like everyone else, I remember parties where all the coats went on the bed. I also remember waking up underneath a pile of coats on a bed at a party.
So maybe this is more common in snowier states? I’ve lived in a couple of places here in Texas (oldest was, IIRC 1992), and while it can definitely get pretty cool here, no snow, no coat closet. My childhood home in California was built 1964ish, and definitely no coat closet. My SIL’s house in Western NY, which I think is also a 60s house, does have one. It’s gotta be a climate thing.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:10 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
So maybe this is more common in snowier states? I’ve lived in a couple of places here in Texas (oldest was, IIRC 1992), and while it can definitely get pretty cool here, no snow, no coat closet. My childhood home in California was built 1964ish, and definitely no coat closet. My SIL’s house in Western NY, which I think is also a 60s house, does have one. It’s gotta be a climate thing.
That's a possibility.

However, the OP's complaint is about no coat closets in New Jersey, where we do wear coats.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:48 AM

20 posts, read 15,665 times
New construction homes are typically made with open floor layouts and mud rooms right by the garage door which is where you would store your coats, and leave your shoes and umbrellas in the garage. My home for example has that exact layout with a small coat closet in the middle of my living room under the stairs.

Old 02-24-2020, 04:26 AM

78 posts, read 83,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljavi84 View Post
New construction homes are typically made with open floor layouts and mud rooms right by the garage door which is where you would store your coats, and leave your shoes and umbrellas in the garage. My home for example has that exact layout with a small coat closet in the middle of my living room under the stairs.
Yea, this is what I'm starting to understand. It's very strange to me to use the garage instead of the front door. I guess if you frequently take the car when you go somewhere and you can actually fit a car in the garage I can see how that makes sense.
I'm remembering my parents house, and the garage was under the bedrooms. If you had to open the garage door everytime you wanted to leave you could wake the whole house up. They also disabled their key pad so you couldn't open the door unless you were in your car.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:55 AM

538 posts, read 733,616 times
We have a 90-year old house in South Orange which has a coat closet near the front door. We rarely use that door because the garage is right next to our side door and we have a set of hooks over there for our coats and an area for shoes there.

We rarely use our front door. Even if we're walking somewhere we go out the side door. Admittedly, we're on a corner lot, so it's not like the side door is further from a street. Also our front door is a big wooden door with a slightly finicky lock. Our side door is just a regular door. As such, the front door is pretty much just used for guests.

I grew up in Phoenix, and the house there (built in the late 70s) didn't have any coat closet near the front door. Obviously the coat situation was pretty different there as you usually didn't need much of a coat and if you did have one it would be a pretty light coat. Garage was also in the front. We probably used the front door and garage door to get out of the house equally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey