Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 08:05 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Nowhere did I say, nor do I expect, the builder to take a loss.

And by builder, I mean a private contractor, not one of the mass-production outfits.

Similar to your situation (where you already own the house), I own the lot... and want a small home built. I'm willing to pay X amount of dollars to do so. A fair price, without any "market adjustment". You've got the connections to get what you want, and that's great.

This thread is loaded with you saying you are offering a fair price. Clearly it is not a fair price or you would have found a builder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 08:38 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
The whole concept of "starter home" went out 20 years ago. The reason is real estate values are not increasing as quickly as they did in decades past. You can't buy a house today, make a huge profit in 5 years, and upgrade to a more expensive house. The house you buy today will likely not be worth much more in 5 years than what you bought it for today (and hopefully the value does not go down). Taking my house as an example, in the past 12 years my home has only appreciated about 40-50K in value. I purchased it at 350K which is right in line with "starter home" prices. That 40-50K appreciation over the past decade really doesn't put me in any better position to "upgrade" today as it would have if I had bought a more expensive home to begin with.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:41 AM

252 posts, read 456,498 times
“And, the regulatory costs and professional fees are nowhere near $100,000.“

JG, $100,000 on a $400,000 house is a fair estimate. Homebuilder association analysis estimates regulatory costs equate to 24% of a new homes price, or $85,000 on an average new home price of $349,000.

https://www.nahbclassic.org/generic....183.1584368472

Old 03-16-2020, 01:13 PM

20 posts, read 15,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The whole concept of "starter home" went out 20 years ago. The reason is real estate values are not increasing as quickly as they did in decades past. You can't buy a house today, make a huge profit in 5 years, and upgrade to a more expensive house. The house you buy today will likely not be worth much more in 5 years than what you bought it for today (and hopefully the value does not go down). Taking my house as an example, in the past 12 years my home has only appreciated about 40-50K in value. I purchased it at 350K which is right in line with "starter home" prices. That 40-50K appreciation over the past decade really doesn't put me in any better position to "upgrade" today as it would have if I had bought a more expensive home to begin with.
Starter homes are non-existent these days. One shouldn't buy their first home as an investment but rather as their actual home to live in and raise their kids. If their means of living are as cheap as possible then buy a cape cod in a small lot in a very cheap area. Vice versa if they can afford a million dollar home elsewhere then good for them. It's all about your way of living and buying into what you can afford....

Old 03-16-2020, 01:30 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Condos are really the only “starter homes” around anymore. Most people get married/have kids later in life and the real estate market as a whole is more expensive then 25+ years ago.

Plus in NJ many middle class people live in relatively small homes. It’s not like in Ohio where the average guy might be able to buy a small cape at 25 and then upgrade to a McMansion at 40.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:06 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Condos are really the only “starter homes” around anymore. Most people get married/have kids later in life and the real estate market as a whole is more expensive then 25+ years ago.
Even condos are very expensive. In my area of Essex County most condos are just as expensive, if not more expensive, than an average SFH. If you go to a town like Parsippany, 150K gets you a 1BR/1BA in a garden style apartment...probably not what most people have in mind for a starter home.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:58 PM

20 posts, read 15,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

Plus in NJ many middle class people live in relatively small homes. It’s not like in Ohio where the average guy might be able to buy a small cape at 25 and then upgrade to a McMansion at 40.
The majority of condos in NJ are more expensive than most homes. When you add the mortgage plus the HOA fees it tends to be more than a small house paying separate for utilities. Unless you move to the NJ suburbs of Philly but doesn't make sense if you work in NYC....

Old 03-18-2020, 06:34 AM

98 posts, read 117,168 times
This is so true, my wife and I were struggling to find anything "average" colonial SINGLE FAMILY house aka 3 bed 2.5 bath. It was either a cheap condo/townhouse with high monthly HOA fees (like 350$/mo+) or really expensive old 1950s-1970s SFH which needed major renovations with a split or bi level plan (which we didn't want)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey