Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 03:04 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times

Advertisements

You can sort by county.

https://projects.nj.com/open/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 04:20 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
I went and picked up bagels from a local place today. Guy said he'd been open since 6:00am, and I was his third customer at 7:30. He only made $200 the last couple days, and said it probably wasn't worth the money spent on utilities and ingredients to even have opened, but he has to try. Scary for so many of us - not just those of us newly unemployed.

My own employer may not make it through this, depending on how long we have to stay closed. While I'm hopeful that at some point I have a job to go back to, it's a big waiting game right now. I'm starting to wonder if some of the people questioning an extended shut-down have a more valid point than I originally thought.

Think about what your town looks like right now, and imagine it's semi-permanent. That's beginning to worry me more than getting sick.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:33 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I went and picked up bagels from a local place today. Guy said he'd been open since 6:00am, and I was his third customer at 7:30. He only made $200 the last couple days, and said it probably wasn't worth the money spent on utilities and ingredients to even have opened, but he has to try. Scary for so many of us - not just those of us newly unemployed.

My own employer may not make it through this, depending on how long we have to stay closed. While I'm hopeful that at some point I have a job to go back to, it's a big waiting game right now. I'm starting to wonder if some of the people questioning an extended shut-down have a more valid point than I originally thought.

Think about what your town looks like right now, and imagine it's semi-permanent. That's beginning to worry me more than getting sick.
The devastation to the global economy is going to hurt a lot more people and last a lot longer than the pandemic. There is no doubt about that.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:

my money says that when we are past this and look back; we will see that it wasnt wise to shut the entire country down over an illness.

of course, many will deny that and suggest that if we didnt it would have been much worse. we will all have to decide what we want to believe.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:52 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:

If we had a more efficient society, then companies and people wouldn't be absolutely devastated by a month or two shutdown.

If people picked jobs and created jobs based upon what is actually needed in society, and there was more normalization in pay (instead of paying government employees $150,000 because they have 25 years of 'experience'), well then ... you might only have to work 3 days a week and then not having to work for 2-3 months wouldn't devastate.

Ditto for government controlled healthcare and living above your means, and having a bunch of kids when you're living paycheck to paycheck.

I would ALSO mention that if people were allowed to diversify their training and employability ... well, how helpful would that be in a time like this.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:05 PM

585 posts, read 492,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my money says that when we are past this and look back; we will see that it wasnt wise to shut the entire country down over an illness.

of course, many will deny that and suggest that if we didnt it would have been much worse. we will all have to decide what we want to believe.
So California which shut down is flatlining with cases and New York and New Jersey which hesitated are skyrocketing. People are dying here. Many more are going to die because we didn't see what was happening in Italy and shut things down earlier.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:09 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
So California which shut down is flatlining with cases and New York and New Jersey which hesitated are skyrocketing.
It skyrocketed here before California locked down; we just had no testing. It's probably the mass transit.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:28 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,063,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
So California which shut down is flatlining with cases, and New York and New Jersey, which hesitated, are skyrocketing. People are dying here. Many more are going to die because we didn't see what was happening in Italy, and shut things down earlier.

California & Washington state are simply ahead of us on the curve. Since the coronavirus originated in China; and since the primary hub/destination of most U.S-China transit is San Francisco (or CA generally, for populous); shouldn't the coronavirus have first exploded in the SF area?

...& spread from there? More likely -- it has been there much longer, but it wasn't known as coronavirus.

Many San Francisco and CA people reported heavy early Flu season, prior to January, going back several months :

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...herd-immunity/

Though I loathe publications that have a clear political bias (like National Review), that article is well written, and makes some very good points.

As for Italy, it's becoming clear why they've been such an outlier. This 1 hour long interview with Dr. John Ioannidis of Stanford University explains it quite well :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=25&v=ZEr4rmjwd0g&feature=emb_l ogo

Old 04-01-2020, 06:37 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If we had a more efficient society, then companies and people wouldn't be absolutely devastated by a month or two shutdown.

If people picked jobs and created jobs based upon what is actually needed in society, and there was more normalization in pay (instead of paying government employees $150,000 because they have 25 years of 'experience'), well then ... you might only have to work 3 days a week and then not having to work for 2-3 months wouldn't devastate.

Ditto for government controlled healthcare and living above your means, and having a bunch of kids when you're living paycheck to paycheck.

I would ALSO mention that if people were allowed to diversify their training and employability ... well, how helpful would that be in a time like this.
That's great, but we don't have that right now. We have to decide what to do with the situation we're in.

None of us want to die. None of us want our family members and neighbors to die. Tell you what, though, I'm thinking we should be equally scared of this sending us into a depression. If that happens, it'll be far worse than the Great Depression, given our changes in population, housing, manufacturing capability, and jobs from then to now.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:14 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
That's great, but we don't have that right now. We have to decide what to do with the situation we're in.

None of us want to die. None of us want our family members and neighbors to die. Tell you what, though, I'm thinking we should be equally scared of this sending us into a depression. If that happens, it'll be far worse than the Great Depression, given our changes in population, housing, manufacturing capability, and jobs from then to now.
If we never quarantined and 2 of your co-workers is having to go to the hospital every week because they can't breathe and have a fever of 103, and people are freaking out and not wanting to go to work ... well that doesn't help the economy either, does it?

People give their opinion that the quarantine is over-reacting, but they don't provide the alternative story.

How exactly does it play out? Ok, so XX,XXX old people die, and that's it? No, we need more. You have to give details of exactly how it plays out with no quarantine, and no restrictions on daily life. How does it play out with this thing bouncing around office places, bars, Chuck E Cheese without check? How does THAT effect the economy?

I don't mean YOU by the way, I just mean in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: