Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 08:29 AM

14 posts, read 19,300 times

Advertisements

My husband would be working on the Wall Street we are thinking of buying a house. We are considering the possibility areas within NJ, Westchester, or Connecticut with the following criteria:

1. Friendly and close knit suburban area with preferably good diversity and lower population
2. Maximum 1.5 hour door to door commute, private or public transportation is equally okay.
3. Budget of about $500.000 for a 1800 sqft house
4. Walkable, available sidewalk with good care (including clean streets and well cared public facilities)
5. Quiet neighborhood with little night life. As long as there’s a grocery store, decent school, a park, a small mall perhaps, all is well
6. Hilly region with forest or lake

I really want to emphasis on a suburban lifestyle with natural vista. Hence why I’m not choosing an apartment in NYC which would probably be a more convenient choice. I enjoy taking walks, socializing with neighbors, and i want a neighborhood that really has that spirit.

NJ has quite a number of reserves and i suspect there might be one or two neighborhood near those beautiful reserves that fits my criteria.

I had considered several places and i’m drawn to Englewood, but i’m not sure as I have never lived there so it’s purely google search. Please share your thoughts on what would be a suitable area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 09:12 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,257,977 times
Englewood is an option except for the good schools part. Palisades interstate and flat rock brook are both wonderful parks although they are not in walking distance to the the neighborhoods that would be your targets.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:13 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,525,443 times
I'm mostly familiar with Bergen country and it's going to be hard to find a home for $500k that meets your criteria that isn't a fixer upper by my standards (really depends on your tolerance level for the condition of the home). Bergen has malls everywhere within a 15 minute drive tops, mostly clustered around Paramus. Tons of strip malls everywhere else, so this requirement shouldn't be an issue.
Englewood is fine, except that are nicer parts and not so nice parts. It's close enough to overpeck which is a nice park with a pond, not really a lake.

I will say that for a commute to wall st, your best bet is PATH from JC to WTC and then walk, or the ferry from Weehawken that pretty much drops you off on Wall St. Both would be about 20-30 minutes NJ to Wall St, so factor that in as the additional commute time from your house to JC/Weekhawken.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:14 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
My immediate reaction is that Englewood will not come even close to fulfilling your desire for a "hilly region with forest or lake". One of the things that surprises most people who move to NJ from other parts of the country (or from other parts of the world, like you) is the length of commuting time to NYC. What you want is possible, but you will likely to looking at the extreme upper end of that 1.5 hour commuting time if you want a town with a forest or lake.

Rather than suburban, your desires sound more like you are looking for a home in a rural area that is fairly far from NYC, and that may result in limited access to public transit, thus putting your husband in the car for a very grueling commute to work.

Regarding commuting by car, are you aware of the tolls that are charged for driving into NYC?
Are you aware of the cost of parking a car in NYC?

Old 11-06-2020, 09:32 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,257,977 times
"I really want to emphasis on a suburban lifestyle with natural vista. Hence why I’m not choosing an apartment in NYC which would probably be a more convenient choice. I enjoy taking walks, socializing with neighbors, and i want a neighborhood that really has that spirit."

Are you aware that with a half million dollar budget you will only be able to afford a tiny one bedroom or studio in a nice neighborhood close to wall street?

Maybe look up in Inwood. You could take the (cheap) subway to work, there are beautiful parks, very diverse.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:33 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
This is a bad time to buy, go renting is so much cheaper right now.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:17 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times
I don’t think you will find anything with your budget.

Getting off the path and walk to Wall St is like 15 to 20 minutes.

Old 11-06-2020, 12:58 PM

214 posts, read 351,182 times
You have to try towards Western Morris (NJ Transit Morris Essex or Gladstone-Peapeck line) or Western Somerset county or may be Eastern part of Hunterdon adjoining 78. I can easily find houses, townhome for this kind of budget in Bridgewater, Basking Ridge, Montville, Randolph, Morris Plains, Morristown, Denville. If you come further west to Mendham, Chester, Mount Olive, Long Valley, Clinton, Sommerville, White House you can stretch your dollar more. All these areas are near mountain, lot of hiking trails, lakes.
You can checkout some instagram tags like #northjerseyadventures, #morriscountynj
Some page you can checkout to get a feel of the area (of course it looks more pretty with instagram filters, but definitely can give you more idea) https://www.instagram.com/ilovelongvalley/ https://www.instagram.com/ilovechesternj_official/

Old 11-06-2020, 05:39 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Your budget is much too low for anything that close to Wall Street.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
Look at south shore of Staten Island. Ferry is best option for a shorter trip - it's only a few stops on the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey