Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2020, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 3,494 times

Advertisements

Hello - We are a family of 4 (5 YO and 2 YO) and planning to buy house in South Brunswick due to the reviews of it having a good school district and diverse population. Can you please advise with the below:
1. Which are the good elementary schools?
2. Based on the good elementary please suggest good areas/communities to search for houses to buy? We are open to both townhouses and single family houses. Our budget is up to 600k.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 09:47 AM

98 posts, read 117,233 times
For 600K, you could probably get a "decent" SFH in SB. SB is a good pick, a lot of indians and there's a new Shoprite on Route 1. To me SB is becoming the new "Edison"

Example: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...39170856_zpid/

Other areas I could probably recommend would be:
West Windsor/ Plainsboro- Competitive, Diverse, top notch schools but your SFH will be smaller/out dated or a decent townhouse

Not sure where you are working but wouldn't hurt to look at East Brunswick as well but it's more crowded

Old 05-06-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HastroX View Post
For 600K, you could probably get a "decent" SFH in SB. SB is a good pick, a lot of indians and there's a new Shoprite on Route 1. To me SB is becoming the new "Edison"

Example: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...39170856_zpid/

Other areas I could probably recommend would be:
West Windsor/ Plainsboro- Competitive, Diverse, top notch schools but your SFH will be smaller/out dated or a decent townhouse

Not sure where you are working but wouldn't hurt to look at East Brunswick as well but it's more crowded

Thank you HastroX. We heard about Princeton Walk community, with decent SFH and Townhouses. Have you heard about the community and any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, are there any other good residential communities in SB?

Thank you in advance!

Old 05-06-2020, 03:46 PM

Yes, we were actually looking to buy a townhouse before in the princeton walk community. Nice, family oriented community which connects to route 1 for commute for work basically.

For 600K, there's actually SFH for ~lower to mid 500s so within budget. My only problem is they have a HOA being 500$/mo. which is pretty steep when your sharing the same amenities i.e. indoor/outdoor pool, gym, etc. with other townhouse communities who are only paying $400/mo/. or 300$/mo. Add property taxes as well and you're looking at paying 15-20K annually just for HOA +Property taxes

Old 05-07-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Yes, we were actually looking to buy a townhouse before in the princeton walk community. Nice, family oriented community which connects to route 1 for commute for work basically.

For 600K, there's actually SFH for ~lower to mid 500s so within budget. My only problem is they have a HOA being 500$/mo. which is pretty steep when your sharing the same amenities i.e. indoor/outdoor pool, gym, etc. with other townhouse communities who are only paying $400/mo/. or 300$/mo. Add property taxes as well and you're looking at paying 15-20K annually just for HOA +Property taxes
Thank you again Hastro!
In your previous reply, you suggested West Windsor/ Plainsboro as well and that they are Competitive, Diverse and with top notch schools. With your experience, can you suggest some good residential communities for our budget? Thank you again.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:31 AM

Niche.com can also give you insights as well. I think it all comes down to where you and your partner's work location and how tolerable you are willing to comute. WWP have top elite public schools on all grade levels, large family home sizes (2500 sq ft- 4000+) but you're looking to spend 600 to 900K+ for anything updated/modern. WWP is definitely diverse in terms of basically only asian/white. They also have close by Wegmans, Target, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc. as well as Shoprite/Costco in Lawrenceville.

If you look at school ratings, Lawrenceville is pretty much 6/10, South Brunswick is 7/10, WWP is 8/10, Princeton is 9/10. I would say each number higher on a school rating adds another estimated 100K to 150K for the same home.

Most families who live in WWP tend to move out after their kid goes to college since WWP have high property taxes and it doesn't make sense for families to pay taxes in something they don't use (unless they have some personal attachment to it)

You could also check out Hillsborough or Pennington or Montgomery. Great schools, but not really diverse and also more suburban rural feel

Old 05-07-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Niche.com can also give you insights as well. I think it all comes down to where you and your partner's work location and how tolerable you are willing to comute. WWP have top elite public schools on all grade levels, large family home sizes (2500 sq ft- 4000+) but you're looking to spend 600 to 900K+ for anything updated/modern. WWP is definitely diverse in terms of basically only asian/white. They also have close by Wegmans, Target, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc. as well as Shoprite/Costco in Lawrenceville.

If you look at school ratings, Lawrenceville is pretty much 6/10, South Brunswick is 7/10, WWP is 8/10, Princeton is 9/10. I would say each number higher on a school rating adds another estimated 100K to 150K for the same home.

Most families who live in WWP tend to move out after their kid goes to college since WWP have high property taxes and it doesn't make sense for families to pay taxes in something they don't use (unless they have some personal attachment to it)

You could also check out Hillsborough or Pennington or Montgomery. Great schools, but not really diverse and also more suburban rural feel
Thank you HastroX. This is really helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey