Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,108 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Edgewater
Why are you moving? Kids are ready for elementary and more space
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Midtown (42nd and 6th)

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? 650k
What kind of place are you looking for ? 3br SFH, townhomes without any HOA

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Yes 2 kids and spouse
Do you need/want good public schools? Schools are important. But it does not have to be a tenafly.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
would like to move within Bergen county with diversity and safe place for children

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

1. commute to nyc (1 hr to 1 hr 10 mins)
2. Safety and good environment for kids to grow
3. Family oriented

With all the above details we have looked into towns like river edge, fair lawn and Paramus. In fact we like a property in paramus but could not conclude on the commute. Train is most preferred. And I found that the home is 10 minutes away from New Bridge landing station (which I have heard will have parking spots available). And thought of transferring at secaucus and then continuing to Penn.

1. Is this doable and reliable?
2. I see that the frequency on PVL is not often. Is it a thing of concern?
3. Can this commute be done in 1 hr and 15 mins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 05:14 AM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Fair Lawn is on the Bergen County line, which has much more service and two train stations. I believe that is within your commute time. There are also buses to the PABT, which is closer to your job and involve no transfer.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:17 AM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Fair Lawn is on the Bergen County line, which has much more service and two train stations. I believe that is within your commute time. There are also buses to the PABT, which is closer to your job and involve no transfer.
You would need a SFH. The only true townhouses I know of in that area, meaning singularly-owned townhouses, not in a condo complex, are in Radburn (Fair Lawn), but you still have the Radburn Association.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:18 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,289,362 times
Keep looking...there are townhouse developments in both Paramus and River Edge. Speak with a knowledgeable -- and I stress the word knowledgeable -- broker/agent.

I've had my office in Paramus for over 30 years. It's a nice town. People knock the traffic, congestion, and I am sure plenty of other things. Hey, you got Rt 4 and 17, the GSP, routes to the GWB, NYC, etc. -- it's certainly not "the country" LOL. The New Bridge train stop is very popular. There's parking there, but I have no idea how it works. There's "additional" parking nearby if you think creatively, and there are a lot of people who do quick pick up/drop off as well.

All three towns are nice...good luck!!!

Old 06-26-2020, 11:05 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,249,505 times
Given your price point and train commute, I’d look into houses walking distance to river edge train station. Also consider houses in oradell close to station. I personally like those towns better than Paramus and fairlawn.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,108 times
Thank you all for the response. I am narrowing it down to Oradell, River edge, Paramus and Fair lawn in that order. Hoping PVL line being reliable.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:58 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,289,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watlan View Post
Thank you all for the response. I am narrowing it down to Oradell, River edge, Paramus and Fair lawn in that order. Hoping PVL line being reliable.
Excellent choices! Good luck and all the best!

Old 06-29-2020, 01:59 PM

595 posts, read 1,558,106 times
I live in Paramus. keep in mind the lines for the NJ Transit buses are long when trying to come home. sometimes its just 20 minutes alone just on the line. you might want to look into the towns serviced by https://ridehip.com/ . They do service Oradell.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:24 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
I live in Paramus. keep in mind the lines for the NJ Transit buses are long when trying to come home. sometimes its just 20 minutes alone just on the line. you might want to look into the towns serviced by https://ridehip.com/ . They do service Oradell.

This on both accounts. And YES, you will wait in line.

PVL train station in both, more parking in Oradell. 165 bus (River Edge and Oradell) and 165P Oradell and points north. And the parts of Paramus that border each town could be an option for walking to bus, perhaps train. 1 hr 15 doable in the morning. Earlier is even better. Evening, real crap shoot, take what you can get, in usually plan on 1.5 hr, but I'm midtown east. (Don't know about bus lines from Paramus - it's a large area in contrast all all surrounding towns - but there are many nice neighborhoods in Paramus and homes cost less than RE or Oradell and prop taxes less.)

Was excited about HIP but it premiered a week before shutdown. If we ever go back to working in city, we'll try it.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:13 AM

595 posts, read 1,558,106 times
The main bus in Paramus to NYC is the 165P. There is a parking lot for it but i think it tends to get full so can't come too late. And there is also the 168T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey