Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 02:54 PM

19,145 posts, read 25,367,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm not permitting my kids to be in school until we have a COVID19 vaccination program in place. Currently unvaccinated kids for standard vaccines are not permitted to attend school so why should schools be even accepting students when there is an active virus out there. School just like church becomes a major incubator and spreader of the virus if kids and teacher do not have strict infection controls in place.

If the kids don't die from COVID19 and it spread in their homes and kill their parents. We're gonna have a lot of foster kids up for adoption. Even workplaces are not taking any chances and reopening offices anytime soon, I believe work from home is a permanent practice for office workers. If your job is affected by it, I'm sorry businesses have to make adjustments. We can no longer have certain business practices until the virus is under control globally.
+1 on all points!
And, below is a link to a relevant article from Esquire magazine. Just don't open the link if you have an aversion to four-letter words!

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...trump-no-plan/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 03:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,978,298 times
My sister and my good friend both teach in Bergen County. They would LOVE to return to the classroom. One teaches spec. ed, the other 1st grade, and both of them found it impossible to make any real gains with their students using remote methods. But unlike some of the posters here, they have not yet received an answer as to what the fall will bring.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:28 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,465,275 times
Quote:
I'm not permitting my kids to be in school until we have a COVID19 vaccination program in place. Currently unvaccinated kids for standard vaccines are not permitted to attend school so why should schools be even accepting students when there is an active virus out there. School just like church becomes a major incubator and spreader of the virus if kids and teacher do not have strict infection controls in place.

If the kids don't die from COVID19 and it spread in their homes and kill their parents. We're gonna have a lot of foster kids up for adoption. Even workplaces are not taking any chances and reopening offices anytime soon, I believe work from home is a permanent practice for office workers. If your job is affected by it, I'm sorry businesses have to make adjustments. We can no longer have certain business practices until the virus is under control globally.
Thank you for talking some sense.

I’m a teacher in a “high need, underperforming” district. I was on medical leave the past year, so I didn’t have to deal with with the disaster COVID-19 reigned upon schools. I’m scheduled to return on September 1, and I’m dreading it? Why? Here’s what’s likely to happen...

1. Plans are put on paper that appear sound, and schools open full-time, especially in “high need” districts.

2. Schools and the state lack (or refuse to obtain) the resources to implement plans. The plans will be promptly ignored, without consequence. Why no consequences? Reread the first sentence of this section.

3. Kids get sick. Teachers and staff get sick. Teachers who aren’t sick but have sick time will find ways to declare themselves sick to avoid coming into a potentially dangerous work environment.

4. The few teachers who continue to come to work end up being forced to watch an entire building of children. Then they get sick.

5. Rinse and repeat.

I’m only 47, but I’m literally counting the days to 55 so I can get out. It was miserable before this, but this is next level bull poo now.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:38 PM

4,033 posts, read 3,652,986 times
Quote:

What if there’s never a vaccine?

Old 07-10-2020, 06:14 PM

5,073 posts, read 2,284,851 times
Quote:

The kids aren’t going to drop dead. How many have died so far in total in the US? I think it’s like three or four. With all the cases the US has had, all the parents who got it, but we’re told to stay home unless they themselves were at death’s doorstep, if kids were going to be massively affected we’d have seen it by now.

Kids might spread it. That a more uncertain thing. The scientists still can’t seem to come to an agreement as to how much the virus is spread by those who don’t show symptoms (and kids don’t). Teachers might be afraid, but surely there has to be a way for them to stay physically distant if that’s what they prefer.

Vaccine? We’re now being told there is no immunity to this. Maybe our resident Dr. can chime in, but if there is no immunity, how can there be a vaccine? Or can you be immune, and that’s one more thing science has got wrong. There’s no way we can wait for a couple more years until that is worked out.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:19 PM

585 posts, read 493,564 times
My town's school system is going with the one week at school one week at home schooling approach. I am still trying decide what is best. Nothing is ideal...

Old 07-10-2020, 07:43 PM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
What if there’s never a vaccine?
There will be a vaccine because there's money to be made.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:22 PM

217 posts, read 822,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There will be a vaccine because there's money to be made.
There's NO guarantee there will be a vaccine and even if there is one, I highly doubt it will be in the next school year. It's quite possible we will have to deal with this 3-5 years.

With that said, I'll temper my true feelings and just question how child care will work when the school day is shortened or not in school. Then, there's the consideration of who will 'teach' the kids. Some employers are accepting the current state but that is rapidly changing.

Personally, I am considering private school. My god daughter at Immaculate Heart is FT and they just installed some state of the art air filtration system. Will it work? Dunno but they are going FT.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:45 PM

195 posts, read 136,032 times
The hysteria is highly politicized...none of this occurred with H1N1, Swine, Ebola. a major difference is the motives of MSM. This virus is not a hoax, but what it has done to this country might possibly be a hoax. The poorest kids, kids with difficulties or ieps will barely learn.Kids will lose social skills. Parents will sue school boards because they pay high property taxes and the have to stay home and tutor the kids through distance learning. The teachers dont want to come to work, and even if theres a vaccine people wont believe it or have faith-in it . This cant be the new norm and i feel like were all being played like fools

Old 07-13-2020, 09:32 PM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgosto View Post
There's NO guarantee there will be a vaccine and even if there is one, I highly doubt it will be in the next school year. It's quite possible we will have to deal with this 3-5 years.

With that said, I'll temper my true feelings and just question how child care will work when the school day is shortened or not in school. Then, there's the consideration of who will 'teach' the kids. Some employers are accepting the current state but that is rapidly changing.

Personally, I am considering private school. My god daughter at Immaculate Heart is FT and they just installed some state of the art air filtration system. Will it work? Dunno but they are going FT.
There will be a vaccine because there is money to be made. It may not be very effective and may have to be administered annually like the flu vaccine, but it'll be here sooner or later. It has nothing to do with schools, offices, or public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: