Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 05:32 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Lets just hope there is no 2nd wave. But, personally I think we need to have a vaccine by flu season to prevent one.
One thing I fear is that there is a vaccine, but in order for your kid to attend school, the state mandates it. I do NOT want this vaccine for myself or my children. Our district said today that kids in pre-K must have a flu vaccine to go to school.

For schooling, our district laid out three plans. One is the option to do all online. One is a hybrid. One is five days a week for all kids (except the ones who choose online), four hours a day, with some online in the afternoon. All kids and teachers will have to wear a mask. Kids with documented reasons for not masking will have to wear a face shield. We have eight periods at the middle and high school. They’re thinking about four per day to minimize time kids are crowded in the halls.

They attached a survey asking if we would send our kids back if they go with the every day option. Will update if they share the results of the survey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 04:59 AM

7,368 posts, read 3,529,717 times
Quite a few districts have announced half day schedules where students only meet 2-3 days a week half day and the rest is virtual. My question is, if the virus is so dangerous that such extreme measures have to be taken in the schools to keep staff and students safe, then is it really safe to open at all?

Old 07-25-2020, 06:22 AM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Posted this elsewhere, but adding it here. This girl has shown more eloquently than any words written what the online school experience has been like. I cried: this was us. Thankfully, it’s getting a lot of attention. Education administrators need to be made aware of how this is affecting our kids.

https://youtu.be/iSkbd6hRkXo

Edit: does anyone know how to get the video to show, and not just the link?

Old 07-26-2020, 07:14 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i wonder if there are any pre-existing online education platforms to cover this stuff. the offering last year was not sufficient so if they want to do it online they should use a proven platform, pay for it and refund to homeowners the difference in cost.
They also need to do something about the many kids who don’t have access to tech, or Internet.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Lets just hope there is no 2nd wave. But, personally I think we need to have a vaccine by flu season to prevent one.
Well that’s not going to happen, that’s only a month or 2 from now. They’ve just begun human trials, but they need longer than two months.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptjcz View Post
the teachers are either fearful or living thier "best life" of staying home and getting paid. many ppl would love to stay home stare at a laptop for a few hrs and get paid. they know this is not true school, its bs to do as little work as possible and get paid the same.If you think this is not a major element on why the teachers dont wanna go back, then ur living in lala land
I don’t think it is. Every teacher that I know personally has been depressed about not being in the classroom. They feel like their kids are failing being outside the classroom, and believe it or not most teachers do actually care about their kids. My niece teaches in a low income semi rural area, and she knows a lot of the kids don’t have access to internet.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:38 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Quite a few districts have announced half day schedules where students only meet 2-3 days a week half day and the rest is virtual. My question is, if the virus is so dangerous that such extreme measures have to be taken in the schools to keep staff and students safe, then is it really safe to open at all?
My hope is that the districts are nimble and can up the hours in the classroom if the evidence and infection rate points to that modification.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:01 AM

7,368 posts, read 3,529,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
My hope is that the districts are nimble and can up the hours in the classroom if the evidence and infection rate points to that modification.
Some Summer camps and some contact sports in a few towns/universities have already been cancelled in NJ due to people testing positive. I just don't see how the schools will be any different.a few positives will prompt Murphy to close them again.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:58 AM

182 posts, read 136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well that’s not going to happen, that’s only a month or 2 from now. They’ve just begun human trials, but they need longer than two months.
I believe AstraZeneca has been contracted by the U.S. to create 300m doses of the vaccine with the initial batch scheduled to be made available in early October.

Hopefully, it works.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:15 PM

1,146 posts, read 860,463 times
Mike J is correct. I also hope the vaccine is successful. If so, we should begin seeing more normalcy as we approach November and December.

The big question about schools the Gov has dodged constantly is what would happen if a student or students are tested positive for COVID? Would the entire school have to close or would just those students be quarantined? What would be the protocall if a teacher tests positive? Basically none of the guidelines address how districts are supposed to deal with any positive cases that come their way. Yes, it is inevitable that at least one school somewhere in the state will see some COVID infections. Also, most likely none of those potential cases will be fatal. Bottom line, schools must open in person because many students are not learning at home and falling very far behind especially with our low infection rate. However, there does need to be a process in place in case someone in the school becomes infected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: