Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 03:47 PM

387 posts, read 615,666 times

Advertisements

To all those connected with school education what is the message/ inputs being shared about school opening for the next academic year in 2020.

In my town we are hearing 6 feet social distancing and classes on alternate days to accommodate all students. Schools will probably have to continue with Virtual classes. What’s the news in your town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 04:48 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingon View Post
To all those connected with school education what is the message/ inputs being shared about school opening for the next academic year in 2020.

In my town we are hearing 6 feet social distancing and classes on alternate days to accommodate all students. Schools will probably have to continue with Virtual classes. What’s the news in your town?
NJ put out their guidance list for schools a couple of weeks ago. I get updates daily via text but I don’ t have that one anymore. I’m sure it’s on the state website or google NJ school re-opening plan.

One child per seat on bus, skip a row between them. In school six feet is preferred but if not accomplishable they can do other things such as plexiglass barriers between desks. Masks required for staff and “encouraged” but not required for students. Staggered lunch times and recess, no buffets or salad bars.

Actually here it is: https://www.nj.gov/governor/news/new...0200626b.shtml

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-07-2020 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-08-2020, 03:21 AM

387 posts, read 615,666 times
Thank you.

Considering the uncertainty with schools it would be interesting to see the effect of the situation on real estate and home sales.

Especially those zip codes where the prices are mainly driven by the school ranking. As parents face uncertainty in the job market and school itself may revert to virtual lessons how many would be willing to catch a falling knife.

Are people adopting a wait and watch approach!

Old 07-08-2020, 06:05 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingon View Post
Thank you.

Considering the uncertainty with schools it would be interesting to see the effect of the situation on real estate and home sales.

Especially those zip codes where the prices are mainly driven by the school ranking. As parents face uncertainty in the job market and school itself may revert to virtual lessons how many would be willing to catch a falling knife.

Are people adopting a wait and watch approach!
I don’t think that will be a factor. Everyone understands this is temporary, and schools are planning to reopen on time. And if they did move to online instruction during a surge or something I’d assume that instruction would still be better in a higher ranking school. Also higher ranking schools tend to have more serious and accomplished kids, which helps lead to that ranking. Parents will still want their kids around other kids who share similar educational goals.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:12 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,275,078 times
Our district sent out a very preliminary plan for opening schools. They're talking about a four-hour day, with the possibility of staggering days so there are fewer kids in the school at one time. What a freaking waste!! Our kids aren't going to be learning anywhere near what they should be. It's not so bad if your kid is in elementary, but for my high school kids? This is bad. Daughter is in Honors Math Analysis and Honors Physics. There are eight periods/classes - six of which are taught on a daily rotating schedule. Giving the kids "plenty of time for hand-washing" and class changes, we're talking about 30 minutes of instruction per class, three or four times a week. This is horse****.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:28 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,459,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Our district sent out a very preliminary plan for opening schools. They're talking about a four-hour day, with the possibility of staggering days so there are fewer kids in the school at one time. What a freaking waste!! Our kids aren't going to be learning anywhere near what they should be. It's not so bad if your kid is in elementary, but for my high school kids? This is bad. Daughter is in Honors Math Analysis and Honors Physics. There are eight periods/classes - six of which are taught on a daily rotating schedule. Giving the kids "plenty of time for hand-washing" and class changes, we're talking about 30 minutes of instruction per class, three or four times a week. This is horse****.
I’m sure the virus will understand if you explain the situation to it.

Yes, this sucks. But you know what would suck more? Your daughter’s teachers, or, heaven forbid, your daughter getting sick, or worse. That would really put a crimp in her learning.

In teacher talk, the term “monitor & adjust” is used a lot. That’s what everyone has to do now.

BTW, teachers and students should not have to be sacrificial lambs to make things more convenient for parents.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:31 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,275,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
I’m sure the virus will understand if you explain the situation to it.

Yes, this sucks. But you know what would suck more? Your daughter’s teachers, or, heaven forbid, your daughter getting sick, or worse. That would really put a crimp in her learning.

In teacher talk, the term “monitor & adjust” is used a lot. That’s what everyone has to do now.

BTW, teachers and students should not have to be sacrificial lambs to make things more convenient for parents.
Uh huh. Kids are really not at risk unless they have underlying conditions, and even then Covid is rarely fatal. At the same time, calls to suicide prevention lines are up, and suicide is the third leading cause of death for teens. But hey, let’s keep our kids locked away, fearful, and not stimulated or engaged. That’s a great idea.

As to your idiotic snark about convenience, I’m freaking unemployed, thanks to the shut down. It’s not exactly an inconvenience for me to have my kids at home. If it were all about me, I prefer having them home. But it’s not. It’s about their well-being, and that includes their mental state and education.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:18 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Its not any better for the littles. My son just finished kinder, at home. He knows only marginally more than he did when school stopped despite doing all the lessons and practicing. I am not a teacher nor do i want to be and i was working from home full time. At least older kids can read.

My sons school, its a charter school not a regular public school, sent our a "survey" for us to express our wishes. None of them were kids attending school 5 days a week during the day
1) splitting the kids into 2 "shifts AM/PM
2) 2 days a week in school 3 days a week at home with virtual learning
3) alternating weeks on and off
4)all virtual learning

I dont care for any of these options. I still have to work. My husband still has to work which means that when he is "home" he will actually be at daycare and we will have to squeeze in all the virtual learning in the evenings when I get home. That is an unworkable situation

Old 07-10-2020, 10:57 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,771,444 times
yea, looks like my town is going to do the bare minimum to be able to say that they have the schools open. Nothing set yet, said they are going to wait until Aug 9th for the final plan. But my town has a mayor that wants to keep everything closed as long as possible. Even though sports are now allowed by the state, my mayor refuses to open the fields, so basically very little can be done.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:24 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
I'm not permitting my kids to be in school until we have a COVID19 vaccination program in place. Currently unvaccinated kids for standard vaccines are not permitted to attend school so why should schools be even accepting students when there is an active virus out there. School just like church becomes a major incubator and spreader of the virus if kids and teacher do not have strict infection controls in place.

If the kids don't die from COVID19 and it spread in their homes and kill their parents. We're gonna have a lot of foster kids up for adoption. Even workplaces are not taking any chances and reopening offices anytime soon, I believe work from home is a permanent practice for office workers. If your job is affected by it, I'm sorry businesses have to make adjustments. We can no longer have certain business practices until the virus is under control globally.

Last edited by vision33r; 07-10-2020 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: