Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:15 AM

253 posts, read 1,267,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Jobs that don't necessarily require college degrees. There are a million jobs that pay under 30k and plenty that pay 70k +, but for those u need a good education. SO WHAT ABOUT US BRIGHT UN-SCHOLARLY SOULS THAT FALL INBETWEEN ?? Right now i make 15/hour which is fine but not enough to start a fam or survive in the burbs these days. What are your professions?

Dang you're putting your business all out there. Even in a city, with car note and car insurance - that's bad enough. Luckily you don't have kids. . . that would be straight poverty. For people to live off of pennies you'd have to, live with someone who makes more than you do, live with your parents/room mates/ or work overtime like heck.

I had 3 children with my associates and I went back to Devry online and got my BA and I'm still enrolled going for my masters. with my assoicates in business, I was only making $43,000 working in the hospital, bring home about $1400 every two weeks and that still wasn't enough....when I'd apply for better positions it was two things you needed - - a Bachelors and to be bilingual (english/spanish only) and I didn't have either. They paid my tuition and I went back now making a better salary at their expense and will be returning again on May 8th for my masters at their expense. In these times, i think it's called survival fo the fittest.

these kids graduating high school are coming out as computer wizards, technology gurus and you have to keep up with them and remain competitive. Even if people don't go to college, some form of higher education is absolutely necessary.

one of my male friends work at Anheuser-Busch in Newark and has been there for many many years and makes $63k w/o a degree. another one of my co-workers finally became a Longshoreman and is at $70k but this is only because his dad and grandfather helped him out. These are both dirty jobs that I wouldn't want for the money - and it's easier for a man than for a woman to make this much money without a degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 11:18 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Air Traffic Controller - Hs Degree Only And I Hear The Money Is Great. High Stress Job Though...
Here's a website for air traffic controller jobs - they make more than I thought...over 80K year : ) Air Traffic Controllers

Old 04-29-2008, 11:27 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
I should comment that without a degree, you still need demonstrable skills. While I don't have a degree, I have skills in AutoCAD, MicroStation, project management, networking, linux, windows, mac, office (and open source equivalents), programming, time management, engineering design practices, millwork design, etc., etc. Without these, I would not have gotten my job. Hell, one partner didn't want to hire me, the other one did. Now the partner that didn't want to hire me is using me for many of his own high level projects, and I even have a few of my designs in magazines, competitions, and being used by manufacturers as examples of work.

It comes down to skill & persistence. Get a job at a place you can move up, let them give you experience, always go above and beyond, and you'll get what you need in no time.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:18 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Man, Cu- you've got mad skills!

How about strippers? They can make $70k/year without a degree? Hmm...but then again, even they need skills- those poles are slippery.......

Old 04-29-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I can also paint rooms, put up coffered ceilings, do my own siding, build asian-styled coffee tables, my own plumbing, my own electrical wiring, tiling, etc., etc.

With all seriousness though, I bust my butt on the regular not only to keep up to date, but to keep ahead. Because of that, an uneducated person ended up making a presentation in an architectural class on nanotechnologies and their impact of future architectural design conventions for a class taught by a partner in a very large firm.

If you don't have the paper to back it up, you need to be that irritating know-it-all as often as you can, and push yourself constantly. Lucky for me, I do, in fact, know it all

Old 04-29-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I can also paint rooms, put up coffered ceilings, do my own siding, build asian-styled coffee tables, my own plumbing, my own electrical wiring, tiling, etc., etc.

With all seriousness though, I bust my butt on the regular not only to keep up to date, but to keep ahead. Because of that, an uneducated person ended up making a presentation in an architectural class on nanotechnologies and their impact of future architectural design conventions for a class taught by a partner in a very large firm.

If you don't have the paper to back it up, you need to be that irritating know-it-all as often as you can, and push yourself constantly. Lucky for me, I do, in fact, know it all
Add a piece of paper to that list of skills you have and you would be making triple what you make now. You are a perfect candidate for "self employment"...if you've got the guts : )

Old 04-29-2008, 12:37 PM

259 posts, read 925,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

How about strippers? They can make $70k/year without a degree? Hmm...but then again, even they need skills- those poles are slippery.......
I like the way you think.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Add a piece of paper to that list of skills you have and you would be making triple what you make now. You are a perfect candidate for "self employment"...if you've got the guts : )
Yeah, I know...

Running it as a small separate business right now. While I tortured people looking for my cheap home based on a $50k salary, my AGI on my tax return was $85k - after all the goodies and discounts. When my gf graduates, and gets a steady job, we can survive off her salary alone... thats when I'll go full time into my own business.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Yeah, I know...

Running it as a small separate business right now. While I tortured people looking for my cheap home based on a $50k salary, my AGI on my tax return was $85k - after all the goodies and discounts. When my gf graduates, and gets a steady job, we can survive off her salary alone... thats when I'll go full time into my own business.
Well if you need any advice, just ask : ) I'll be celebrating my 11th year at being self employed in Nov. 2008... not too shabby for a non-college grad!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:57 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
well when I become Vise-President of my father's company I'll be making 150k so I think I'll just stick to what I'm doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey