Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live, Paterson or Camden?
Paterson 29 76.32%
Camden 9 23.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 10:56 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_inquisition View Post
Camden has Donkey's Cheesesteaks! Close access to Philly, cheaper. If I was going to live in a craphole, might as well go big and try the crappiest hole.
But Philly has all the cheesesteak places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 11:23 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Paterson, definitely. My ancestral home in some ways (the people whose last name I carry moved there from Manchester, England, in 1863) and I grew up about 14 miles from Paterson and shopped there with my mother as a kid. I lived in West Pat for ten years and so I know the area better. Don't know squat about Camden except that I went to the aquarium once.

Speaking of food, there's this place:

https://www.allmenus.com/nj/paterson...s-tavern/menu/

You walk through a bar where firefighters are hanging out into a back room with good Italian food and pizza. Some years ago I was there and saw the servers putting together a couple of tables for a larger crowd. Then through the back door came a group of nuns, who were welcomed as obvious regulars. Carafes of red wine were placed on the table and the sisters started knocking it back and all sorts of good food was brought to their table.

Haven't been there in a number of years, but I looked it up and was glad to see it's still open.
Reminds me of Duffy's Tavern, an Irish pub in Paterson, NJ.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:38 AM

109 posts, read 125,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post

IMO you can get better cheesesteaks in Pennsauken, Maple Shape and at Donkeys!

In fact, there's places in Pennsauken, Cherry Hill and Maple Shade that have won contests against well known Philly spots year after year based on blind taste tests.

I think a more comparable poll would be living in Camden vs. East Orange or Irvington even. I'd put them on par with each other on the ghetto scale.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:09 PM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
IMO you can get better cheesesteaks in Pennsauken, Maple Shape and at Donkeys!

In fact, there's places in Pennsauken, Cherry Hill and Maple Shade that have won contests against well known Philly spots year after year based on blind taste tests.

I think a more comparable poll would be living in Camden vs. East Orange or Irvington even. I'd put them on par with each other on the ghetto scale.
South Jersey does have some great cheesesteaks! Even I think Pats has a location in Atlantic City. There are a few Donkeys around in south jersey not sure if its the same owner as the one from Camden people talk about.

Although these are bad areas Trenton and Asbury Park are apparently more dangerous im assuming not in total quantity but bad on occurence by population of 1,000.

https://nj1015.com/the-fbi-names-the...ties-for-2020/

Old 11-13-2020, 12:44 PM

82 posts, read 79,570 times
Quote:

East Orange is definitely a step up from those other places

Old 11-13-2020, 12:48 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
That's why I'd choose Camden. It doesn't have a farmer's market but both Collingswood and Haddonfield have one. Both have a PATCO stop. I've taken my mom to both towns to walk around, dine, and do a bit of shopping. Center City Philadelphia is minutes away. I'm not sure where I could live. It doesn't have the nice looking neighborhoods that Paterson does. On a lovely day, I'd sit on a bench in Johnson Park and eat lunch while reading a book.

Old 11-13-2020, 01:24 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,522,403 times
it's like asking whether I would rather gouge my eyes out or chop off my testicles with a rusty scissor...

Old 11-14-2020, 10:59 PM

356 posts, read 284,261 times
no way, no how. i would sleep in a box in a better neighborhood.

Old 11-15-2020, 01:52 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
I'm leaning towards Camden because it's so close to Philly and the Jersey Shore. Otoh, I don't think Camden has a decent hotel that I can call home.

Old 11-15-2020, 01:35 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Paterson easily. Eastside park area has some beautiful homes and a nice suburban feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey