Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 07:54 AM

49 posts, read 214,481 times

Advertisements

friendly community, cute downtown, solid schools, what town/community do you folks think is closest to 'Shangri La'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 08:53 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Freehold Borough or Township. Most of Monmouth County is suburban. Will you commute to NYC?

Old 09-21-2020, 08:54 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Freehold Borough or Township. Most of Monmouth County is suburban. Will you commute to NYC?
it is not my understanding that the towns presented fit what the OP is looking for. OP i hope someone else chimes in with other suggestions.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:08 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Obviously the "Cute downtown" prize for Monmouth County goes to Red Bank, but I think some posters have had things to say about the schools. I love going to Red Bank, which is only a couple of miles from where I live, but I moved to Monmouth from Bergen after my daughter was done with school, so I really don't know.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:15 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Obviously the "Cute downtown" prize for Monmouth County goes to Red Bank, but I think some posters have had things to say about the schools. I love going to Red Bank, which is only a couple of miles from where I live, but I moved to Monmouth from Bergen after my daughter was done with school, so I really don't know.
Right, schools could be better. Red Bank isn’t particular wealthy. I mean, the obvious answers to check all of the boxes would be Spring Lake and Manasquan. But are we talking about commuting to the city? They are quite the distance. Not that anywhere in Monmouth is that great for the commute. And obviously...they are expensive.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:44 AM

175 posts, read 281,775 times
I lived in Colts Neck for a decade and a half and I loved that town, so that would be my number one recommendation. Very family oriented with great schools. Real estate can be a little pricey though.

I would also recommend Holmdel, Middletown, Hazlet, Freehold (township), Wall, Ocean/Oceanport, Shrewbury, and West Long Branch as they are all family oriented suburbs with good performing schools and shopping opportunities. Matawan/Aberdeen is a good area too, though slightly more blue collar in some places. Same could be said about Keyport/Union Beach, though Keyport does have a very nice downtown, Neptune Twp is nice in certain areas but not so nice in others. Howell is a good are as well but compared to other districts in the county the schools are just mediocre. Rumson/Fair Haven/Little Silver are probably the nicest areas in Monmouth county but vastly unaffordable for most. Tinton Falls is decent though most of the housing stock is townhomes/condos. And then there is Millstone and Upper Freehold Twp., very nice townships with a country-like feel and surprisingly affordable, though they are quite far from the rest of Monmouth County and don't have much shopping.

The only towns I would NOT recommend (other than the obvious low income towns of Keansburg, Long Branch, and Asbury Park) would be Marlboro and Manalapan Township. Although these are both upper-middle class suburbs with good schools and shopping opportunities, there is a major attitude problem here. Most of the people in these two towns are Staten Island guidos who are rude, obnoxious, and hyper-materialistic. No real sense of community in those towns, and many of the people there are overly judgmental or even racist.

Most of Monmouth county is suburban sprawl, but Freehold, Red Bank, Asbury Park, and Keyport all have nice downtowns with many restaurants. Matawan also has a downtown though not as big. There is also Pier Village in Long Branch, though not a true downtown, offers lots of restaurants and stores in a walkable high-density setting.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:47 AM

156 posts, read 165,354 times
I like Freehold downtown.
Take a look at surrounding townships like Manalapan and Marlboro as well.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:54 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
I lived in Colts Neck
I have a friend from Colts Neck. With his Jersey accent, for a long time I thought he was from "Cold Snake", LOL.

Now, back to your regular program...

Old 09-23-2020, 07:28 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew in Jersey View Post
friendly community, cute downtown, solid schools, what town/community do you folks think is closest to 'Shangri La'?
Spring Lake ,Rumson, Sea Girt.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:11 PM

23 posts, read 38,326 times
I would say Marlboro/Holmdel/Colts Neck area. No downtown but can easily drive to Freehold Boro or Red Bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey