Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 11:49 AM

11 posts, read 111,635 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to rent to the greater Montclair area and I'm seeing a lot of nice looking places listed in Belleville for extremely reasonable prices. Is there a reason for this? Is Belleville a bad area? I really don't know much about it...except that it's precariously close to Kearny & Newark...which could definitely be a deal-breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 12:37 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,367 times
My brother in law is a cop in Belleville-he says it's not a nice area. Not Newark bad or Camden bad, but still not good.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:26 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Default Belleville

Belleville (Essex County) has become quite run down and from what I have read crime has increased. As it is in Essex County, taxes would be higher, to subsidize Newark. A friend of mine is paying almost $4K for a 810 sq ft condo.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:49 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
Grew up there....I would never in a million years go back. It was a cute little town and community when I was growing up there (of course, I'm in my 30's now), if it was still like that, I would've never left. But it is terrible, the crime has skyrocketed, even kids against kids. It definitely looks run down (it's a mini Newark now). I don't know what else to say, but I wouldn't go back and I sure as hell wouldn't want my kids in the school system.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:01 PM

37 posts, read 261,783 times
belleville use to be a tight knit Italian community but in the past 10 years or so has really become a run down area. If you look in the area that borders Nutley it is not so bad but I would never suggest for someone to move there. Look in Nutley or Lyndhurst which are basically blue collar towns but not run down and filled with hard working people.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:56 AM

17 posts, read 104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MElizH View Post
I'm looking to rent to the greater Montclair area and I'm seeing a lot of nice looking places listed in Belleville for extremely reasonable prices. Is there a reason for this? Is Belleville a bad area? I really don't know much about it...except that it's precariously close to Kearny & Newark...which could definitely be a deal-breaker.
most of belleville is not bad in my opinion at all. if you are a sopranos fan you will love it, because most of the old italian neighborhood scenes in the show were filmed there or in bloomfield, which is next to belleville. yes belleville is directly adjacent to newark, but as you will find when you go have a look-see, once you get to the belleville side of newark's branch brook park, the neighborhood starts getting better rapidly. and yes, the town still is home to mostly descendants of the italian immigrants that once populated newark's first ward. (italians are known for keeping good order in their neighborhoods in nj.)

Old 01-02-2007, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 40,662 times
Default Belleville

I lived in Belleville for 31 years. It was a really nice town when I was growing up, but things have Definitely changed. My parents still live there. Not a place I would move to.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:16 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,581 times
I dont know what your talkin about. Belleville isnt so bad. But i guess i think that cause i came from Teaneck.....so i got low standards.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:31 PM

60 posts, read 266,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MElizH View Post
Look in the northern parts of bloomfield or Nutley. That would be a big improvement.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:45 AM

10 posts, read 47,555 times
I can't believe what I'm hearing. Yes, there are some bad parts of Belleville.. BUT there are also bad parts of MOntclair, bad PARTS OF NUTLEY- as well as every other town. I love living in Belleville.. the taxes are high, but they are quickly climbing everywhere. The grammar schools are good, and I agree that the Middle and High school aren't the best.. but that is the case for many of the high schools in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey