Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 10:18 AM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
It is a very attractive town but I think there are others just as nice. Spring Lake for one ,Chatham ,Princeton, Cranberry, Montclair and a few others!
Of these towns only Spring Lake could be considered a resort town. Smoke Rise beats anything on your list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 10:19 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, is it unexpected that a travel magazine would focus on resort towns?

Camden and Paterson are never going to be on such a list, no.

Cape May is a resort town with well-maintained properties dating to the 19th and early 20th centuries. It holds the distinction of being the FIRST seaside resort, and the oddity of its history of being a resort town in a northern state that was affected by the Civil War, because people used to stay in Cape May with their slaves.
Sure.. you are right.. but you are missing the fact that Travel magazines don't just cover resort areas but Travel in general.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:24 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Sure.. you are right.. but you are missing the fact that Travel magazines don't just cover resort areas but Travel in general.
True.

Reminds me of a book I found in a bookstore travel section once called "Dangerous Places". It was about traveling to places most people would be afraid to visit.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:35 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The article is about towns.

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/t...wns-in-america

Old 09-22-2021, 07:20 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Tbf I think the article is going after more vacation picturesque locations. 2 in ME, Nantucket, 2 in VT, etc.

I think NJ has some pretty stellar-looking towns like Princeton and Montclair. Others as well...

Old 09-22-2021, 09:34 PM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Tbf I think the article is going after more vacation picturesque locations. 2 in ME, Nantucket, 2 in VT, etc.

I think NJ has some pretty stellar-looking towns like Princeton and Montclair. Others as well...
Sparta, Chester, Morristown, Lambertville come to mind as towns to visit with a cool downtown or with history but none of these are destination locations that anyone should be visiting except for a walk on a weekend.

Pre-Covid though I would fly in ~100+ international corporate people into North Jersey for trainings every year. The question always came up anything else to see besides NYC? Id point them to Cape May and Atlantic City (only to gamble). The feedback was always positive for Cape May because lets be honest where else can you see a whale from the beach.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 09-22-2021 at 09:46 PM..

Old 09-23-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Sparta, Chester, Morristown, Lambertville come to mind as towns to visit with a cool downtown or with history but none of these are destination locations that anyone should be visiting except for a walk on a weekend.

Pre-Covid though I would fly in ~100+ international corporate people into North Jersey for trainings every year. The question always came up anything else to see besides NYC? Id point them to Cape May and Atlantic City (only to gamble). The feedback was always positive for Cape May because lets be honest where else can you see a whale from the beach.
Long Branch

https://youtu.be/6joR-iy6y20

Old 09-23-2021, 09:00 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:

+1 Great post.

But whales can be seen in Ptown, Nantucket, Cape Cod and Newport. Ive seen personally.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:46 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well they are spotted on occasion along the Jersey Shore and obviously some point in the Mass-hole state. LBI had a rare endangered one wash up on their beach a few weeks ago. However in Cape May they are reguarly 1,000ft from the beach where people are laying out. Its quite a sight, and so common there is a whole whale watching industry based on it there.

Old 09-23-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Well they are spotted on occasion along the Jersey Shore and obviously some point in the Mass-hole state. LBI had a rare endangered one wash up on their beach a few weeks ago. However in Cape May they are reguarly 1,000ft from the beach where people are laying out. Its quite a sight, and so common there is a whole whale watching industry based on it there.
Yes, definitely more whale-watching in Cape May than Long Branch. I just remember that happening last year, a day or so after I was at the beach and missed it!

Also major bird-watching in Cape May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey