Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 03:01 PM

27 posts, read 29,065 times

Advertisements

My friend got an improper passing ticket in NJ. He has a clean driving records. He received offer from attorneys to get the ticket reduced from 4 to 0 point. However, the cost of the attorney is very high. Apparently, the court is going to happen by zoom. Is there a way for my friend to go to zoom court on his own and get the ticket reduced to 0 point? Please do not hesitate to share your experiences. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 03:06 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Is "your friend" actually you?

Old 11-01-2021, 03:33 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Anytime I’ve gotten a traffic offense I never used an attorney and I’ve been able to get the level of offense lowered just by showing up to court. If he has an otherwise clean record I can’t imagine the cost of a pricey attorney to be worth it. But I’m not an attorney and there’s usually multiple variables at play here (possible increase in insurance premiums, fine, cost of attorney, etc).

Old 11-01-2021, 04:08 PM

27 posts, read 29,065 times
The friend is not actually me The cost of the attorney is $600 + court fee!! Let me know if you have other thoughts

Old 11-01-2021, 04:46 PM

11,338 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danblum View Post
The friend is not actually me The cost of the attorney is $600 + court fee!! Let me know if you have other thoughts
IMO pay the attorney.

Old 11-01-2021, 04:50 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
In the "olde" daze, before Covid, before courts held sessions online with Zoom, many of us had experience going in to municipal courts and they would usually have an informal meeting beforehand, look over your case and most everyone was offered one or the other no points ticket deals.

I have luckily no idea how this works with zoom meetings.

Those deals were not cheap either but they got you out the door minus some money the court made.

One such option is called something like Unsafe Driving, costs about $450 and you can only use it like once every 5 years or so.
There is another option, a ticket called Obstructing Traffic that is no points, less money maybe $125 but harder to get.

It also varies from town to town and even what mood people are in.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:03 PM

368 posts, read 213,436 times
Ask the prosecutor to amend to Driving in an Unsafe Manner aka unsafe driving as stated above. If he says no, tell them you'd like a new court date in order to find an attorney, and then weigh the option of using an attorney. I'm pretty sure prosecutors will almost always/always offer it since it means more money for the township than the points tickets which do them no good. FYI, I think there's a limit for how many times you can get that amendment made (not more than once every couple years or something) so look into it.

But yeah, with Zoom, no idea how it would work. A prosecutor will be present so you may be able to just openly ask the prosecutor or judge if the ticket can be amended. It also may be possible that the prosecutor will mute the rest of the court while he/she talks to you directly.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:05 PM

5,134 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
In the "olde" daze, before Covid, before courts held sessions online with Zoom, many of us had experience going in to municipal courts and they would usually have an informal meeting beforehand, look over your case and most everyone was offered one or the other no points ticket deals.

I have luckily no idea how this works with zoom meetings.

Those deals were not cheap either but they got you out the door minus some money the court made.

One such option is called something like Unsafe Driving, costs about $450 and you can only use it like once every 5 years or so.
There is another option, a ticket called Obstructing Traffic that is no points, less money maybe $125 but harder to get.

It also varies from town to town and even what mood people are in.

Yeah did this in Woodbridge and Sayreville many years apart. Spoke to the prosecutor before court pled it down to 0 points and around $450 also. Call the court beforehand and see if you can yell across the street to the prosecutor. Ridiculous mandates my gd. Seriously call the court.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:45 PM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Hired an attorney when I was 20 for a ticket I received, probably worth it at that point because I didnt knkw anything. Ive had several tickets after (pre-zoom) the prosecutor would negotiate the ticket for you beforehand it might not worth paying a lawyer.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:54 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danblum View Post
My friend got an improper passing ticket in NJ. He has a clean driving records. He received offer from attorneys to get the ticket reduced from 4 to 0 point. However, the cost of the attorney is very high. Apparently, the court is going to happen by zoom. Is there a way for my friend to go to zoom court on his own and get the ticket reduced to 0 point? Please do not hesitate to share your experiences. Thank you.
I got a 4 point ticket for speeding (40 mph on 25 mph) and then got it reduced to 2 points after I went to the municipal court session in person. My attorney was free since I worked for him, but I would think an attorney is not worth it unless you work for one where you can get one free. He did go to the "informal meeting" before the court session to explain that the cop told me the ticket printer was broken and that I would just get the ticket in the mail (which I did). I got the ticket only reduced to two points just for showing up for court, while in some situations, the judge could also reduce the fine, but I just had to pay a full 2 point speeding ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey