Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,829 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are a newly wed Asian Indian couple in late 20s. We are planning to move to NJ for a job. The job opportunity is based in Little Ferry NJ. I am not familiar with the area and I'm looking for suggestions to look for a rental. Details are below. Given that NJ has a significant Asian Indian population, it would be a plus if there are Asian Indians in the neighborhood. But that is the last priority.

Where are you coming from? Dallas, TX
Why are you moving? New Job
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Not NYC, job is in Little Ferry NJ

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? Around $3000 but can go above if everything works
What kind of place are you looking for ? Preferably a single family with 3 bed home where we can potentially plan for kids and
safe neighborhood as my wife will be working from home.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Yes my wife
Do you need/want good public schools? At least good elementary schools buy not a big priority.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) Diverse, preferably with some Asian India families but would that's negotiable. Young couples or young children friendly. Safety is a huge priority. If possible areas with gated communities.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
Easy commute to work, Charming houses/ neighborhood, family oriented.

Last edited by sasvijay92; 02-22-2022 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 07:19 AM

10,429 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Look into Edison, NJ alot of Indians move there and apparently its advertised in India as "little india".

Old 02-22-2022, 08:57 AM

387 posts, read 615,534 times
Look into Rutherford...especially around the school below. Right now rental inventory for SFH might be low but can pick up in the coming months. There is however an Apartment complex next to the train station which is super convenient for train travel both to NYC and other places. The town is undergoing a lot of change - in a good way. Taxes are lower. Elementary school is good. A lot of young couples and families. We missed on the opportunity to call it home because we choose Nutley at that point. Since hindsight is 20/20 it would have been an obvious candidate. Quite a few dining and shopping options and good overall road connectivity.

https://www.greatschools.org/new-jer...entary-School/

Last edited by Rollingon; 02-22-2022 at 09:40 AM..

Old 02-22-2022, 10:33 AM

131 posts, read 137,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Look into Edison, NJ alot of Indians move there and apparently its advertised in India as "little india".
Edison wouldn't be good though if the job is in Little Ferry. I would just focus on Little Ferry itself and the nearby towns. I believe there's still a good Indian presence in those areas. I'm not familiar with that area though.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:06 PM

10,429 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoj View Post
Edison wouldn't be good though if the job is in Little Ferry. I would just focus on Little Ferry itself and the nearby towns. I believe there's still a good Indian presence in those areas. I'm not familiar with that area though.
Its a 35 mile straight shoot up the parkway. Im sure theres some traffic but its an option.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:35 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoj View Post
Lots of apartments and houses for rent in Little Ferry for less than $3,000 a month. But you need to view them in person. Set up in a motel for a week or two while you search in Little Ferry.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:39 PM

213 posts, read 350,055 times
Try to rent in one of the newer townhomes in Woodridge Wesmont Townhomes. Otherwise it would be a shock for you seeing how congested NJ/Bergen county is coming from Dallas TX. Otherwise try to find a home towards west in Morris country which has easy access to Rt 80 (probably Montville, Lake Hiawatha, Denville etc - commute would be more!!).

Old 02-23-2022, 07:47 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
and you are moving to Northern New Jersey. No matter where you live, you will probably be within a 30 drive to an Indian Community (or Korean, or Chinese or Jewish or ...)

Old 02-23-2022, 11:45 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Its a 35 mile straight shoot up the parkway. Im sure theres some traffic but its an option.
No, at rush hour times that would be a nightmare. There's no "straight shoot up the parkway" between 7 and 9 a.m., lol. There is "slow" and there is "parking lot", especially through the Oranges.

I live in Monmouth County off 109 and have a doctor at St. Michael's Hospital in Newark, which means I have to take exit 145. I will only do appointments at 10 or after so that it takes me 45 minutes rather than 90 to get there.

For Little Ferry, the OP would be better off in the surrounding Bergen County towns or even the better parts of Passaic County. Paramus might be a good choice. They even have an Indian-American community center, IIRC.

There are Indian people everywhere now in northern New Jersey and have been for more than 30 years. They're not even exotic anymore

Old 02-24-2022, 07:21 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Finding both, easy commute and charming houses in north Jersey might be difficult in that price range. I'd go with easy commute and safe neighborhood, as you'd be renting and it would be a semi-perm situation. Check Garfield, Hackensack, Rutherford, and Maywood. All are diverse towns. If you're willing to commute a bit farther, 40-45 minutes, I'd suggest Parsippany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey