Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I am TOTALLY against amnesty..it's just wrong..wrong for all the people who wait in line to come here legally!! Think about that the next time somebody tries to cut you off in line. I have no issue with legal immigrants, it's the illegals I have a problem with.
What makes an illegal immigrant illegal? Not waiting in line?

Sometimes one person comes in legally, and earns enough to bring in others in their family illegally. Are you saying you hate families because the rest of the family was pushed to the back of the line?

Its an odd mindset I will never understand. Its wrong because we called them illegal, so they must not get anything!

Who cares? Let them contribute to taxes, without reaping all the benefits. It helps you out. Why would you fight that idea? Because you want a line, because a line of people makes you feel better that they "earned" something by waiting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:29 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Do they? Or is it the people who hire them...American's who hire them that supress the wages? I think your anger is pointed in the wrong direction... I am a contractor and I know all about people hiring illegals in order to undercut the legitimate contractors... is it the immigrants fault or the business owner? And what about Jane Doe down the road that hires a landscaper who hires illegals so she can save a few bucks each month? Isn't she part of the problem??? Hate the game not the player... you need to blame Americans who fund this influx of illegals.
It is both their faults. They come here illegally. No I do not need to blame Americans-at least not 100% as you suggest. There is blame to go all around. If you are here illegally-it is just that. You don't have a right to be here! I blame illegals, companies, Jane Doe,and anyone who hires illegals. Sorry the illegal aliens are not "innocent"-far from it.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
What makes an illegal immigrant illegal? Not waiting in line?
Sometimes one person comes in legally, and earns enough to bring in others in their family illegally. Are you saying you hate families because the rest of the family was pushed to the back of the line?

Its an odd mindset I will never understand. Its wrong because we called them illegal, so they must not get anything!

Who cares? Let them contribute to taxes, without reaping all the benefits. It helps you out. Why would you fight that idea? Because you want a line, because a line of people makes you feel better that they "earned" something by waiting?

What makes them illegal? Umm the fact that they are here illegally. There is a proper way to come to this country-a legal way. They wait in line, pass background checks, health exams etc. We as a country have a right to determine who comes and have a right to set up criteria for that. Plenty of people do it legally and spend time and money to do it. The last time I checked we were supposed to be a country of laws and rules. People who sneak over the border or over stay a visa are breaking the rules, cutting in line and here illegally.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
What makes them illegal? Umm the fact that they are here illegally. There is a proper way to come to this country-a legal way. They wait in line, pass background checks, health exams etc. We as a country have a right to determine who comes and have a right to set up criteria for that. Plenty of people do it legally and spend time and money to do it. The last time I checked we were supposed to be a country of laws and rules. People who sneak over the border or over stay a visa are breaking the rules, cutting in line and here illegally.
Right. They are illegal because we say they are. Having a worker program would make them here legally, thus eliminating the "illegal" immigrant problem, because they would be working here legally.

So again, this mindset simply confuzzles me.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:48 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Right. They are illegal because we say they are. Having a worker program would make them here legally, thus eliminating the "illegal" immigrant problem, because they would be working here legally.

So again, this mindset simply confuzzles me.
And just how do you propose a back ground check is done on the millions of illegals to make them legal???

Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
It is both their faults. They come here illegally. No I do not need to blame Americans-at least not 100% as you suggest. There is blame to go all around. If you are here illegally-it is just that. You don't have a right to be here! I blame illegals, companies, Jane Doe,and anyone who hires illegals. Sorry the illegal aliens are not "innocent"-far from it.
In another post, you claimed that you would do whatever you had to do to pay your bills...so you wouldn't skip over to Mexico Illegally if that's where the jobs were? These are desparate people and if American's stopped hiring them, they wouldn't be heading our way as there would be no jobs for them to have. I totally get your "old fashion" politics...I was raised by a republican marine but these are different times. Fish stinks from the head down...The American employers are the head of the fish.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:55 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Oh there is a proper way... open your wallet! I am involved in a relationship with a Legal Alien... it cost us tens of thousands of dollars to get that Green Card. Had politics been a little different, it would have probably only cost us a few hundred dollars.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
And just how do you propose a back ground check is done on the millions of illegals to make them legal???
How do you propose we utilize government agents to find these illegals, and deport them all?

Putting the onus on them makes life a little easier. As opposed to us trying to track down illegal immigrants, making them file for amnesty gives us their name, an address, etc - in effect, something to work with. Background checks proceed the same way, and in the meanwhile, anyone who doesn't file is the person you want to track.

Right now, illegal immigrants are afraid to come forward in police investigations, due to fear of deportation. By allowing them to work here, that fear goes away, and as opposed to being afraid of officers of the government speaking with them, it directly benefits them to come forward and speak about those who are not filing, who are not trying to be worker's. These illegals are the only ones to worry about, the ones trying to stay off the radar. As a result, illegals who are now legal could openly speak about those they run into who are trying to avoid being caught, expanding the eyes and ears of immigration services.

So tell me, would you rather we vilify people who want to work, or use them to our advantage, financially as well as using them to hunt down the people who we *should* be worrying about?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
In another post, you claimed that you would do whatever you had to do to pay your bills...so you wouldn't skip over to Mexico Illegally if that's where the jobs were? These are desparate people and if American's stopped hiring them, they wouldn't be heading our way as there would be no jobs for them to have. I totally get your "old fashion" politics...I was raised by a republican marine but these are different times. Fish stinks from the head down...The American employers are the head of the fish.
No I would not break the law-I am sorry that you took that literally. I meant I would work however many jobs I had to, cut back, etc. I would not break the law or do anything unethical-cmon.

I blame American employers and I blame illegal alien invaders equally. Plenty of poor people from all around the world wait in line and do it the right way to come to this country. I have no sympathy for anyone who comes here illegally-none. I have sympathy for those who want to come here the right way and people jump ahead of them in line. I have sympathy for Americans who lose jobs or whose wages have become stagnate due to illegal aliens being hired by greedy American companies. I could go on and on about it but basically I am sick of anyone who aids and abets illegals and I blame them all.

We have enough Americans down on their luck , enough problems here. Why should we be expected to take other countries problems?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
We have enough Americans down on their luck , enough problems here. Why should we be expected to take other countries problems?
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey