Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 03:57 PM

2,670 posts, read 1,190,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Sounds like attempted murder
Maybe today it would seem like that but back then no one thought of it like. We just knew she was all ego like some men are and just had to prove she can do anything a man can do. Never mind coming to work to do that thing called her job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You have it backwards. An EV does not use engine oil, simply because it has a battery-powered electric motor (or two...) and it doesn't have an engine. On the other hand, because hybrids have a gasoline-powered engine in addition to an electric motor and batteries, hybrids DO use oil.

I would love to hear your sister's explanation of exactly HOW "EVs take away jobs". EVs--whether they are made by Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, Ford, GM, VW, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, or any other manufacturer--are made on assembly lines that are staffed by human beings--just like the assembly lines that churn-out gasoline or diesel powered vehicles.
OK forgive my ignorance please. I transposed them without realizing it. Now I thought they both use oil? I know the hybrid uses both or all three Oil, gas just not as much, and electric battery that gets recharged.

The all EV uses battery which is electric charging but no gas, and oil too?

I thought both need oil for the moving parts.

I thought both need freon for the heating and a/c.

EDIt: The last I remember was the whole thing on TV reports of people will lose their jobs that pertain to the oil and gas like mechanics. And there will be no need for mufflers, exhaust pipes. I have not given to much thought to what jobs will be lost. I think it is more fear of having to relearn a new job for most people. I think she got a lot of it from TV shows which she said she stopped watching and told me they lied about something I forget what. It was one of those Fox shows I think it may have been Hannity.

Last edited by staystill; 07-04-2023 at 05:24 PM..

Old 07-04-2023, 08:25 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,644,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Maybe today it would seem like that but back then no one thought of it like. We just knew she was all ego like some men are and just had to prove she can do anything a man can do. Never mind coming to work to do that thing called her job.

I was just making a bad joke of a boss threatening to “fire” someone covered in gas

Old 07-05-2023, 06:01 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
I would love to! I get tired of gas station attendants having to tend to the gas station store and pump my gas!

Old 07-05-2023, 06:56 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
The all EV uses battery which is electric charging but no gas, and oil too?

I thought both need oil for the moving parts.

I thought both need freon for the heating and a/c.

EDIt: The last I remember was the whole thing on TV reports of people will lose their jobs that pertain to the oil and gas like mechanics. And there will be no need for mufflers, exhaust pipes. I have not given to much thought to what jobs will be lost. I think it is more fear of having to relearn a new job for most people. I think she got a lot of it from TV shows which she said she stopped watching and told me they lied about something I forget what. It was one of those Fox shows I think it may have been Hannity.
An EV runs solely on battery power, and as a result it does not use gas or oil.
Moving parts do need to be lubricated, and as a result the differential on all vehicles is filled with a high-viscosity oil. The only other moving parts that need to be lubricated are the wheel bearings--which are lubed with a special type of grease--and the transmission, which requires transmission fluid--a type of oil. However, an EV does not have a transmission, so the only lubicated parts on an EV would be the wheel bearings.

As to losing jobs, the argument that the transition to EVs and hybrids will cause people to lose jobs is the modern equivalent of the folks who cried that the advent of automobiles would lead to a loss of jobs for the folks who made buggy whips. It's called progress, and as technology evolves, so does the job market.

Old 07-05-2023, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I was just making a bad joke of a boss threatening to “fire” someone covered in gas
Oh LOL that went way over my head, sorry my bad.

Old 07-05-2023, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
An EV runs solely on battery power, and as a result it does not use gas or oil.
Moving parts do need to be lubricated, and as a result the differential on all vehicles is filled with a high-viscosity oil. The only other moving parts that need to be lubricated are the wheel bearings--which are lubed with a special type of grease--and the transmission, which requires transmission fluid--a type of oil. However, an EV does not have a transmission, so the only lubicated parts on an EV would be the wheel bearings.

As to losing jobs, the argument that the transition to EVs and hybrids will cause people to lose jobs is the modern equivalent of the folks who cried that the advent of automobiles would lead to a loss of jobs for the folks who made buggy whips. It's called progress, and as technology evolves, so does the job market.
Thank you, Here is my pet peeve with this. What happens to the oil used in any car EV or hybrid? I see there is a lot of oil used in the US not just for cars but damn near anything we ride and fly. ie., oil in gas stations poured in the under cement tanks. That fills up and eventually has to go somewhere. Same with the old trains. I keep thinking EV's and hybrid still need oil in them. EV sounds more and more the way to go in place of all gas run vehicles as long as they are safe, affordable and don't take so long to charge.

I will pass on to my sister that the jobs lost are minimal. I suspect most of those employees who fear the change are older and have a hard time finding another job. Either that or there really are a lot more people this will put on unemployment. I don't know I think more about safety, affordability, and not waiting in the dead of freezing winter to charge the darn thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey