Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 07:23 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying that I’m totally clueless when it comes to this stuff but I’m willing to learn. I realize it might be too late for me this year but I want to at least get some ideas for next year.

I know everyone’s go to is tomatoes, but I don’t really care for them. What else do you guys grow? What’s good for this climate and when exactly do you plant them? I know this isn’t the gardening forum but I figure stuff like this is location specific so I’m curious what you guys are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 07:31 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
cilantro and green onion and a pineapple

Old 05-11-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
cilantro and green onion and a pineapple
I like cilantro and green onion a lot. When do you plant them? How long between planting it and eating it? Do you have to plant it every year or does it keep coming back?

Old 05-11-2022, 09:31 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
If you live in New Jersey you have to plant tomatoes. If you don't have an established garden, plant them in 5 gallon buckets or pots. Most herbs, other than cilantro, are pretty easy. Cilantro hates heat and will usually bolt, kick, early. Parsley, oregano, and others easily tough out the heat of summer.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:04 AM

58 posts, read 63,026 times
I've been farming here in rumson for 10 years or so, I have great luck with:

Okra
Tomatoes
Peppers
Turnip
Collards
Potatoes
Leeks

Garlic
Chard
Beets
Artichokes with special care during the hot months

Old 05-12-2022, 06:41 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
In my garden, besides tomatoes (6 varieties, including early and late-producing types), I plant peppers (3 varieties), plus Green Beans. In my raised bed planter on the deck, I grow basil, peppermint, thyme, and rosemary.

My preferred source for tomato plants and pepper plants is Cross Country Nurseries, in rural Stockton. If you don't want to drive there, they also have an online entity by the name of Chile Plants (they will ship your purchase to you), and they undoubtedly have more varieties of peppers than anyone else.

https://www.chileplants.com/

Last edited by Retriever; 05-12-2022 at 06:56 AM..

Old 04-09-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In my garden, besides tomatoes (6 varieties, including early and late-producing types), I plant peppers (3 varieties), plus Green Beans. In my raised bed planter on the deck, I grow basil, peppermint, thyme, and rosemary.

My preferred source for tomato plants and pepper plants is Cross Country Nurseries, in rural Stockton. If you don't want to drive there, they also have an online entity by the name of Chile Plants (they will ship your purchase to you), and they undoubtedly have more varieties of peppers than anyone else.

https://www.chileplants.com/

Thanks. About to place my order soon

Old 04-11-2023, 06:29 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
I've had good results with all varieties of tomatoes. Basil and mint also do well. I grew oregano one year and it was so successful it took over much of my raised bed and I eventually dried it and removed the plant. Bell peppers do okay depending on the year. I successfully grew melons one year. I'm trying again this year but it will depend on the heat and the season length. For the first time I'm trying to grow corn and oats. We'll see.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 04-11-2023, 06:38 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
I tried corn last year and it didn't go great. I don't think my irrigation system was set up well enough.

Doing tomatoes and peppers in the main veggie bed this year. I have the seedlings going indoors now. Everything else is in containers. I have a three large window boxes filled with strawberries, and in some pots I have some herbs (rosemary, mint, basil, and chives), and I just sowed some radishes and arugula yesterday in some large pots. I also have a peach tree growing as a fan against an east-facing wall.

Trying to get the most out of a small patio in Jersey City.

Old 04-11-2023, 09:08 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Just for reference, results may vary. NJ has 4 different climate zones, and obviously very different soils.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey