Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2022, 09:43 PM

10,438 posts, read 6,964,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
When I see them blowing around I try to grab them. I picture them as a possible danger to drivers as well (landing on their windshield.)
oh please ive been (and all of us really) never had a concern of plastic bag litter ever in the state. Ive lived in the state all over and plastic bag litter has been a non-existent issue for anyone.

Additionally if this was at all a litter or environmental issue they wouldnt have banned paper bags along with it.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 07-13-2022 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
... and in every other US state. The only places where I have never observed plastic bag-related problems are in Europe, where carrying one's own shopping bag has been the accepted practice for many decades.

Anyone who thinks that improperly discarded plastic bags are not--at a minimum--an eyesore, or--at the other extreme--an environmental problem, is either oblivious to the obvious, or is in serious need of an Ophthalmological evaluation.
Years? Parts of Europe inacted bans in July 2021, and its certain plastics not specifically bags. There reasoning makes more sense, as they dont use landfills and incinerate most of their trash and it becomes an air quality issue. Europeans used to ship most of their plastic to China until a couple years ago, when they stopped accepting it.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 07-13-2022 at 10:38 PM..

Old 07-13-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Excess bags were supposed to be recycled in the bins at the grocery stores and drugstores.
I have seen bags in trees and bushes in New Jersey.
The issue here is that almost all plastic bags or single use plastics were never recycled, and you were likely lied to about it being recycled (same with much of the recycle trash at the curb). Some of the pick of the litter (no pun intended) was pulled to be recycled and the remainder was shipped in massive cargo ships to China paid by the US taxpayer to accept the trash. The Chinese would pick what could be recycled and the remainder was dumped of our recycling into the Pacific Ocean. It was quite the racket, the Chinese were paid to take our trash and dump it, politicians were looked at as having accomplished something, US consumers felt great about something they were deeply misinformed about.

In 2018 during the US-China Trade War, the Chinese Govt stopped accepting US shipments of US recycled trash coming to them. So now the state government, cities and local municipalities have issue on their hand that they cant just dump our recycling to China for an out of sight out of mind mentality, it needs to be dumped into our landfills. The plastic ban is just the first stepping stone to get the idea in our heads to ban the rest of plastics.

Additionally, id like to stress the point that the Government lied/half-truthed to all of you about recycling the last 20-30 years. More or less your recycling caused more harm to the environment than just tossing it into a landfill all these years.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:44 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Years? Parts of Europe inacted bans in July 2021, and its certain plastics not specifically bags. There reasoning makes more sense, as they dont use landfills and incinerate most of their trash and it becomes an air quality issue. Europeans used to ship most of their plastic to China until a couple years ago, when they stopped accepting it.
No, decades...
I have been a frequent visitor to Europe since the '70s, and most people were already using their own "net" or cloth bags for grocery shopping during that decade. Eventually, all European nations began banning the use of plastic bags, with France being the last--in 2006.

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...europe-663634/

In 2008, the European-based Reuters news agency even commented on the unique reliance on plastic bags in The US:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...55508520080124

Old 07-14-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
No, decades...
I have been a frequent visitor to Europe since the '70s, and most people were already using their own "net" or cloth bags for grocery shopping during that decade. Eventually, all European nations began banning the use of plastic bags, with France being the last--in 2006.

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...europe-663634/

In 2008, the European-based Reuters news agency even commented on the unique reliance on plastic bags in The US:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...55508520080124
Your link just showed that this is not true. One country charged .03 cents for cost per bag in 2006 and to sum up Europe in a comment which has 44 countries and a population 2.5x the size of the US silly.

In college I worked in a grocery store and on occasion people brought their own bags or refrigerated bags here in the US, but I wouldnt use a broad brush when it might have have been a couple percent of the shoppers.

I will say shopping habits are different in Europe, grocery stores are a fraction of the size and it is common for Europeans to visit the market multiple times a week.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:31 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Also, those rings that go around beverage cans should be cut up before being put in the trash so they don't end up somewhere around an animal's neck or body.
There was a TV news segment once on a guy at a county park who was trying to catch a mallard that had a sixpack ring around its neck and cut it free. I think he was a park employee. He kept trying to figure out how to catch the duck, and then one day he saw it with a bunch of other ducks making their way down the wide creek that ran through the park. He went on to a pedestrian bridge that crossed the creek about fifteen feet above and waited until just before the duck got there, and then he jumped off the bridge into the creek, grabbed the duck, and cut the plastic off its neck. He also broke his leg. Then the duck blended in with all the other ducks and kept going down the creek, and he went to the hospital.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:24 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,771,444 times
https://www.nj.com/news/2022/08/cust...rkets-say.html

Old 08-05-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
Oh everyone knows this is happening. I was at Shoprite, and would usually you leave them at the self checkout register, but took one of those shopping baskets to my car to dump the contents and left it in the cart return area. My partner was with me, and thought I was crazy for doing it, but what else are you supposed to do without a bag? So we get in the car and someone else was walking out with one too

Old 08-05-2022, 06:33 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times
Quote:
I saw that. My store put up big signs saying not to remove the baskets from the store. But I don’t see the baskets anymore so they either got stolen or the stores are putting them away. Another unintended consequence of banning bags that dissolve in about a year.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 08-05-2022, 07:07 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Quote:
LMAO

In all seriousness, these reusable bags are stacking up. No exaggeration, we have 30+ from this week alone - Amazon (whole foods), stop and shop, target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey