Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2022, 01:42 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Were they the single use bags, or the heartier ones that are reusable? New Jersey recently banned single use plastic bags as you know, and a lot of people on NextDoor were posting that they still got plastic bag with their take out order so what gives, but the bags they were getting now were heavier reusable plastic, not single use.

The Chinese take out on Main street, over by the police station, is still using a plastic bag with a paper bag and piece of cardboard inside it. I'm not sure if they are exempt from the bag law because it's a small place or if they just don't care.

Heritages, the one by the police station, also has paper bags which also should be illegal. I don't recall if they charged for the bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
There is now a possibility that the regulations will be revised in order to allow stores to provide paper bags:
https://www.nj.com/news/2022/09/as-r...low-paper.html

From your link, bag donation look-up tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
1) I don't have any bags. My wife has our bags; when I go to the grocery store (usually when I'm doing something else) I have no bags in my car. So it's either not get my items or juggle them.

2) I don't like to shop with a cart unless I'm getting a lot of stuff. They're big and unwieldy. Of course, now baskets have disappeared (since people would take them when they didn't have bags to use), so it's either a cart, shop into a bag you brought (which there are signs warning you against but people do anyway), or juggle.

You should consider throwing a few reusable bags in your car. Even my hub carries two reusable bags from Shop Rite that are $.33 cents each. They fold into thirds then in half very easily to throw in a glove box. I can easily stuff 2 in my purse. They are in the shape of a plastic bag, soft sided. There is a photo at this link

I have other, larger bags in my trunk but I'm notorious for buying more then is on my list, so these 2 bags are always being used.

Quote:
ShopRite charges a flat fee of $1.50 that includes as many bags as you need. But Walmart pick you can use your own bags. They bring the items out in bins and you and the worker bag them at the car.

Are they giving you the bags I mention above?

I usually buy one each time I go because the day will come when they stop having them. They take up so little room when folded in thirds, then half. I can stick some between the passenger seat and center console. The other bags aren't stored as neatly, I keep those in the trunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 06:01 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
She's smart, reusable bags are loaded with bacteria, and likely one of the most filthy things anyone can touch.

I worked at Trader Joes during my college years (a very long time ago), where its customary where we pull the products out of the cart, scan and bag all the customer groceries. There was a sanitary training on how to handle if a customer brought their own bags, where we had to clean our hands and wipe down the counter if that occurred.
You're right about bacteria. And if used bags are kept in a hot car, there is more bacteria to deal with. The bags should be wiped down with disinfectant.

Old 09-15-2022, 03:14 PM

50,336 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
You're right about bacteria. And if used bags are kept in a hot car, there is more bacteria to deal with. The bags should be wiped down with disinfectant.
Bacteria schmacteria. We have always been surrounded by bacteria, this gives us herd immunity, but since Covid, some are being ridiculous. Going out to lick my grocery bags...

Old 09-17-2022, 07:39 AM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The Chinese take out on Main street, over by the police station, is still using a plastic bag with a paper bag and piece of cardboard inside it. I'm not sure if they are exempt from the bag law because it's a small place or if they just don't care.

Heritages, the one by the police station, also has paper bags which also should be illegal. I don't recall if they charged for the bag.

You should consider throwing a few reusable bags in your car. Even my hub carries two reusable bags from Shop Rite that are $.33 cents each. They fold into thirds then in half very easily to throw in a glove box. I can easily stuff 2 in my purse. They are in the shape of a plastic bag, soft sided. There is a photo at this link

I have other, larger bags in my trunk but I'm notorious for buying more then is on my list, so these 2 bags are always being used.

I usually buy one each time I go because the day will come when they stop having them. They take up so little room when folded in thirds, then half. I can stick some between the passenger seat and center console. The other bags aren't stored as neatly, I keep those in the trunk.
They are like a cross between fabric bags and plastic. Very sturdy. Have pictures of fruit and ShopRite logo. I tried to upload a picture but I don’t know how to make it small enough to be accepted. When I tried it said my file was too large.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Bacteria schmacteria. We have always been surrounded by bacteria, this gives us herd immunity, but since Covid, some are being ridiculous. Going out to lick my grocery bags...
I agree. There are probably many more germs on the self check out touchscreen, and much more on the cash in your wallet or that you get in change.

I have long thought one of the reasons little kids get earaches and other mild illnesses frequently is that everything is constantly being disinfected today and their immune systems don’t get the chance to encounter the germs that will make it stronger.

Also, most people don’t read the labels on antibacterial products. Most of them say on the back that the surface must be wet for 10 minutes with a solution, but most people just wipe it down and then dry it. In that case, we are simply creating super germs that will eventually become immune to antibacterials.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

I generally keep a rather cluttered car, lol. I just have the bags inside the biggest bag sitting open on the backseat.

Old 09-17-2022, 08:34 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
They are like a cross between fabric bags and plastic. Very sturdy. Have pictures of fruit and ShopRite logo. I tried to upload a picture but I don’t know how to make it small enough to be accepted. When I tried it said my file was too large.
When you have the picture open on your computer, look for "Resize" in whatever editing program you have for pictures. Sometimes you can get it by right clicking and you will see Resize as an option. You will see the size of it and can make it smaller. For example, it may say the picture is 4000 X 6000, which is way too big. try to make one side of it around 1200 and you'll be OK.

Old 09-17-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When you have the picture open on your computer, look for "Resize" in whatever editing program you have for pictures. Sometimes you can get it by right clicking and you will see Resize as an option. You will see the size of it and can make it smaller. For example, it may say the picture is 4000 X 6000, which is way too big. try to make one side of it around 1200 and you'll be OK.
I tried to edit it on IPhoto on my phone. I didn’t see anything that said resize, I was looking for something like that. And for some reason that I am too technologically illiterate to understand, on my computer (Mac) the photos seem to go into the cloud and they don’t let me upload them.

Old 09-18-2022, 10:09 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
I tried to edit it on IPhoto on my phone. I didn’t see anything that said resize, I was looking for something like that. And for some reason that I am too technologically illiterate to understand, on my computer (Mac) the photos seem to go into the cloud and they don’t let me upload them.
OK, I'm not an Apple person, so I wouldn't know how. On my Android phone, I can hit edit and there's an option to resize. I mostly do photos on my computer, though. Tiny phone letters and fat fingers just don't mix.

Old 09-22-2022, 03:49 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:

Maybe try uploading it to your facebook, then when it's there, save it or screen shot it, then delete your facebook picture, come here to post it lol.

Have you tried screen shotting the pic on your phone? Sometimes that works too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey