Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 12:43 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

I lived in CA for 4 years, and I agree about the water being too cold. You need a wet suit just to be comfortable in it. There are all kinds of beaches there, not just the ones surrounded by cliffs, but those are the most beautiful. The beaches there do tend to be windy and cold the more north you go. I used to go to Stinson beach a lot, and I would need to bring layers because I never knew what wind/temperature would be like from minute to minute. For hot sun and swimming, I prefer the east Coast beaches. For the scenery, CA usually wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 07:29 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
^

Southern California during a heat wave, the water is almost warm enough to swim in. The beaches with cliffs are hundreds of miles to the north and the only people you see in the water on a regular basis have wet suits and surf boards.

Stinson water is warm enough to swim in by September/October when "summer" in northern CA used to occur pre climate change. Might be warm enough by August now, but it's always a crap shoot. They do have great beach burgers though .

Old 07-10-2022, 10:46 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
California cliffs and views are fantastic, but how many people do you see in the water? The water in the pacific is much colder than the Atlantic.
It's really not a comparison.

The beaches in southern California are better and less crowded and there's a far better surf culture there.

But Jersey shore is decent for what it is.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:24 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
My somewhat secret place is Del Mar Heights. From the end of July to about the end of September, it is very comfortable to swim in. Pacific Beach and Ocean Beach are hit or miss. Coronado Island: always too cold. Laguna Beach (closer to LA) is a beach you can swim in at the height of July and August. But you are right, 74 degrees is about as best as you can achieve.

Most of the actvities on these beaches aren't in the water. Volleyball, paddle sports, frisbee are very much a thing. I will take the backdrop of the cliffs and smaller dips in the ocean in exchange for a monotonous stretching beach with no terrain any day of the week. Going to the big island in Hawaii in a couple of weeks, and they get the best of all worlds: terrain and warm water.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
My somewhat secret place is Del Mar Heights. From the end of July to about the end of September, it is very comfortable to swim in. Pacific Beach and Ocean Beach are hit or miss. Coronado Island: always too cold. Laguna Beach (closer to LA) is a beach you can swim in at the height of July and August. But you are right, 74 degrees is about as best as you can achieve.

Most of the actvities on these beaches aren't in the water. Volleyball, paddle sports, frisbee are very much a thing. I will take the backdrop of the cliffs and smaller dips in the ocean in exchange for a monotonous stretching beach with no terrain any day of the week. Going to the big island in Hawaii in a couple of weeks, and they get the best of all worlds: terrain and warm water.
I thought this thread was about the top beaches in New Jersey?

Old 07-11-2022, 06:31 AM

5,155 posts, read 3,762,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I thought this thread was about the top beaches in New Jersey?
Derailed again what's new?

Old 07-11-2022, 07:27 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Well at least it's still about beaches. We've talked about NJ beaches in previous threads a lot. Not much has changed....

Old 07-11-2022, 07:50 AM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Who agrees with me that the water looks much cleaner this year than last? I’ve been to Seaside, Pt. Pleasant, LBI and Sandy Hook so far this year. All of them, especially LBI, looked better than OBX where we vacationed in April.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-11-2022, 07:56 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
If you really want an adjacent thread derail, my wife and I are currently on a beach trip in Spain, if anyone is interested in Spanish beaches. In the past couple of weeks we’ve been to a lot of them on the mainland, and now on our 3rd Spanish island. Probably around 15 beaches so far.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:26 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Who agrees with me that the water looks much cleaner this year than last? I’ve been to Seaside, Pt. Pleasant, LBI and Sandy Hook so far this year. All of them, especially LBI, looked better than OBX where we vacationed in April.
The concept of “clean” ocean water seems to go over many people’s heads. While the color of the ocean water in places like Miami Beach is undoubtedly “prettier” than what we have, it is not a reflection of cleanliness. After all, clean water should have “no” color, and if you scoop some of that water into a bucket or cup, that is how it looks. Ocean water color differences are primarily driven by differences in the kinds of plankton present in the water.

That said, yes. The water has looked a bit prettier this year compared to average. More of that clear blue color and a light green tinge on the bottom of the waves when they come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey