Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 01:56 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM77 View Post
Just to provide an update for those that commented. My son called me last night to inform me, my ex wife decided to go to the court yesterday to have the FRO dismissed. She signed all the necessary documents, however there was no judge available for her to stand before. Apparently she was told they would call her to come in at a later time.

Not sure how that will work out an all but it's a start in the right direction I suppose. Never heard of this happening for any matter so not sure how this will shake out...
That is good, though. Very cool. Judge just asks why you are vacating the FRO and wants to make sure you aren't being threatened to do it.

Old 03-08-2023, 04:53 AM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM77 View Post
Just to provide an update for those that commented. My son called me last night to inform me, my ex wife decided to go to the court yesterday to have the FRO dismissed. She signed all the necessary documents, however there was no judge available for her to stand before. Apparently she was told they would call her to come in at a later time.

Not sure how that will work out an all but it's a start in the right direction I suppose. Never heard of this happening for any matter so not sure how this will shake out...

Thanks for the update.

I have one against my ex from 1999. I've been trying to call various offices in Burlington County to find out how to get rid of it. It's been so hard to do because of COVID. I was told to call one office, did so, they said they were not the correct ones to call. I have to motivate again to see if I can figure it out.

My ex had gone to Canada a few years ago with the GF he was seeing, he claims that Canada locked him up because of the restraining order which made no sense to me. They thought his GF was me, they were questioning if her ID was real

I don't live in Burlington County any more, I don't want to just drive to the court house to take a chance due to offices being closed because people are working from home.

He ended up getting another restraining order against him last year from a girl he was seeing a few times, so even if I remove mine, he will still have that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You can't get your ex to take care of it? It requires a trip to the courthouse, but it doesn't take long. The judge asks if you are doing this of your own free will, etc., and then it's done.

I needed to get one because my now-ex was a mess with alcohol and drugs and he kept threatening to take our child and disappear. The FRO gave me room to breathe and forced him into a rehab program before he could get visitation with our daughter. It was very helpful.

But a few years later, he was doing better, acting like a father, and attending her school events. The FRO said he was not supposed to be at her school, so technically, he could be arrested. (It also said he was not to come to the World Trade Center, where I worked, but at that point, it no longer stood.)

Then one day he asked if I would get it dropped because he wanted to buy a gun. I started laughing and said "you want me to go to court and ask them to drop the FRO so you can BUY A GUN?"

He said yes, because he was working and living next to the GWB, which was a terrorist target, and if someone was going to try something, he wanted to be able to pick them off. I couldn't stop laughing. I don't know if he ever bought one.

But there was no reason to have the FRO anymore, and although we were divorced, we were always going to be parents together, and we had developed a civil relationship. So I had it cancelled.

I did not know you could apply to have it removed yourself. If she just can't be bothered to go to the courthouse but will agree remotely, I'd say give it a shot.

Do you remember what office you spoke to to get it dropped? My restraining order is in bad shape, you can barely read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2023, 07:52 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for the update.

I have one against my ex from 1999. I've been trying to call various offices in Burlington County to find out how to get rid of it. It's been so hard to do because of COVID. I was told to call one office, did so, they said they were not the correct ones to call. I have to motivate again to see if I can figure it out.

My ex had gone to Canada a few years ago with the GF he was seeing, he claims that Canada locked him up because of the restraining order which made no sense to me. They thought his GF was me, they were questioning if her ID was real
I doubt they locked him up, but it likely showed up in the computer when he tried to cross the border. You have anything out there, it will come up with either your name from your passport in the CBSA's computer system or with the information that pops up when your license plate is photographed as you approach the border. People with DUIs on their records have gone to the border and been shocked to find out Canada won't let them in because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I don't live in Burlington County any more, I don't want to just drive to the court house to take a chance due to offices being closed because people are working from home.

He ended up getting another restraining order against him last year from a girl he was seeing a few times, so even if I remove mine, he will still have that one.

Do you remember what office you spoke to to get it dropped? My restraining order is in bad shape, you can barely read it.
Yes, went back to family court, same as where I got it. In my case, it was Hackensack, since I lived in Bergen County at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey