Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 10:01 AM

77 posts, read 101,320 times

Advertisements

It's supposed to be mid-high 80s thurs/fri, rare for mid-April, so we thought maybe we'd head to Point Pleasant Beach for a few days to enjoy it on the beach. But now I remember last time we were there (in summer) they were barricading the beach in the morning and early evening so nobody could go on.

Will we be able to get on the beach? If not Jenkinsons anything just north or south open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2023, 11:09 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Just an fyi, the shore will be 10 degrees cooler in the low 70s which is still nice. Unfortunately for us working people, its supposed to rain the entire weekend

Old 04-11-2023, 01:07 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
How do they barricade it? I admit that I hate the beach at jenkinson's and don't understand how they can own it, so I never go to the beach there. Every other normal beach just doesn't charge a fee at this time of year and you're free to walk or hang out on any of them. I like the beach even when it's off season so I'd go. Sandy Hook yesterday was cold, but still so pretty.

Old 04-11-2023, 05:05 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
It will be really cold, but it might feel nice.

Old 04-11-2023, 06:55 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
It will be really cold, but it might feel nice.
Not cold, but not what most would consider beach weather. If the breeze is from the east, it might feel a bit chilly because the water temperature is 43 degrees.

Old 04-12-2023, 04:38 AM

They had steel gates installed at the beach entry points last summer, and also wire on top of that to prevent people from trying to climb it. There were security people on ATVs patrolling up and down the shoreline to make sure nobody came on. The beach was closed in the morning, so no nice morning sunrise walks to pick up shells, or jog/walk on the beach. Couldn't get on until 9am or so? Then it was shut down I think at 7pm, so no nice kite flying, sitting on the beach watching the sunset.

It was so dystopian and horrible we swore we'd never go back, and we won't, other than I thought maybe this week we could get on since it will be nice. My extended family has gone to Point Pleasant every year since the 1950s, we're all native NJ, and we were all so horrified and offended that was it for us. We all go to Delaware now. No charge to get on the beautiful natural resource.

They blamed it on the kids having mass parties, but that's a problem in every shore community around the country, and nobody else did this. Also the kids weren't rushing out at 7am to party on the beach. They sleep in, from my memory.

I feel bad for the local merchants that will suffer from this. Sometimes it feels like they want to try to just shut it off to those who don't live there, make it exclusive like the folks in Deal and other places did by trying to shut down the beach access paths and parking to "outsiders." Maybe they want it to dry up so they can rebuild it with high-rises in the image of Ocean City MD and Myrtle Beach SC. Very sad.

Old 04-12-2023, 09:27 AM

182 posts, read 136,265 times
It’s going to be a bit colder there and parts of the beach will be barricaded.

Old 04-12-2023, 09:58 AM

Totally get that it won't be 86/87 there as it will be inland. I'm one of those people that goes to the beach in the winter just for the calming vibe, and I do the polar bear stuff, even in the ocean, although I'm not sure I'll swim this week. Strong swimmer and scuba Divemaster.

Old 04-12-2023, 04:00 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver4242 View Post
They had steel gates installed at the beach entry points last summer, and also wire on top of that to prevent people from trying to climb it. There were security people on ATVs patrolling up and down the shoreline to make sure nobody came on. The beach was closed in the morning, so no nice morning sunrise walks to pick up shells, or jog/walk on the beach. Couldn't get on until 9am or so? Then it was shut down I think at 7pm, so no nice kite flying, sitting on the beach watching the sunset.

It was so dystopian and horrible we swore we'd never go back, and we won't, other than I thought maybe this week we could get on since it will be nice. My extended family has gone to Point Pleasant every year since the 1950s, we're all native NJ, and we were all so horrified and offended that was it for us. We all go to Delaware now. No charge to get on the beautiful natural resource.

They blamed it on the kids having mass parties, but that's a problem in every shore community around the country, and nobody else did this. Also the kids weren't rushing out at 7am to party on the beach. They sleep in, from my memory.

I feel bad for the local merchants that will suffer from this. Sometimes it feels like they want to try to just shut it off to those who don't live there, make it exclusive like the folks in Deal and other places did by trying to shut down the beach access paths and parking to "outsiders." Maybe they want it to dry up so they can rebuild it with high-rises in the image of Ocean City MD and Myrtle Beach SC. Very sad.
That is appalling! How do they get away with that?!?!

Are you looking for a day trip or staying overnight? What about Asbury Park or Ocean Grove? I'm taking my son to a museum in Sea Girt and then might check out the pinball place in Asbury. If you're doing a day trip, have you ever been to Sandy Hook? You can bring bikes and spend a whole day there exploring. You can fly kites on the bay side and there are some great spots to explore there. Bike all over and walk or sit on the ocean side too. The osprey are back. Tomorrow and Friday will be gorgeous.

Old 04-12-2023, 06:43 PM

182 posts, read 136,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
That is appalling! How do they get away with that?!?!
Parts of the Point Pleasant beach are private. The owners may do what they wish as long as no ordinances are broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey