Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 07:57 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I am moving to the center of Bergen County, just a 15 minute walk to the River Edge Station. I also have a job where I will be working in Lower Manhattan, about a 7 minute walk from the WTC Station. My hours will be 9a - 4p. So, I know a lot of you have done this for years/are actively doing it, but what would be the easiest/cheapest/most reliable way to commute into Lower Manhattan form Bergen County?

Here are some of the options I brainstormed:
  • Taking NJ Transit from River Edge to Hoboken, then switching to the WTC PATH and walking the rest (Door to Door: 70 minutes)
  • Park and Ride? I was seeing some options for that... but have no idea the reliability of those.
  • Taking the Bus (NJ Transit) from either Hackensack or locally, then switching to the A/C/E/1/2/3 and taking that down to where I work.

Any insight is appreciated... thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 08:52 AM

968 posts, read 726,396 times
Personally I'd probably do the NJT to Hoboken and PATH to WTC. The PATH crossings are much less impacted by delays than NJT. Challenge will just be the limited frequency of that particular NJT line.

Frankly, 70 minutes is realistically the norm for suburban commutes around here anyway (which is still kinda insane, but is what it is).

Old 05-10-2023, 10:10 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I would take the train. I commuted from Ridgewood to the WTC for much of my 3 decades of working in the city, and I also drove and took the bus. The train is the best.

And I am back to it again, part-time, but now from Monmouth County. I am still near the WTC. Quiet down here compared to pre-COVID.

Use the commute time and the fact that someone else is driving. Read, write, nap, meditate.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:59 AM

252 posts, read 456,498 times
Take 7:45am NJT departure from River Edge to Hoboken. Then take PATH from Hoboken to WTC. Most likely, the journey from the WTC PATH station to your work place will take more than 7 minutes.

In the afternoon, get to Hoboken for the 4:38pm NJT departure arriving to River Edge at 5:16pm.

The commute time, door to door, is more likely 90 minutes each way.

Old 05-10-2023, 01:31 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretorius View Post
Take 7:45am NJT departure from River Edge to Hoboken. Then take PATH from Hoboken to WTC. Most likely, the journey from the WTC PATH station to your work place will take more than 7 minutes.

In the afternoon, get to Hoboken for the 4:38pm NJT departure arriving to River Edge at 5:16pm.

The commute time, door to door, is more likely 90 minutes each way.
Thank you.

I am more or less concerned with the reliability of these trains since I know NJ Transit Rail can make a 30 minute trip, 60 minutes a lot of the time. It looks like it can be 70-80 minutes door to door, but during rush hour and the heat of the moment.. is it actually?

Old 05-10-2023, 06:47 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Thank you.

I am more or less concerned with the reliability of these trains since I know NJ Transit Rail can make a 30 minute trip, 60 minutes a lot of the time. It looks like it can be 70-80 minutes door to door, but during rush hour and the heat of the moment.. is it actually?

80 mins door to door sounds about right.

7:30: leave house
7:45: board train to Hoboken from River Edge
8:19: arrive at Hoboken
8:29: take PATH to WTC
8:40: arrive at WTC
8:47: arrive at office

77 mins total

People say there’s always delays. I only have to go into the city a handful of times per month but the few times I have gone at around the same time as you it’s been as scheduled.

I go Fair Lawn - Hoboken - WTC and either walk 15 mins to my office (SoHo) or take the 1 train for 2 stops. It’s about 80-85 mins door to door for me.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:34 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
80 mins door to door sounds about right.

7:30: leave house
7:45: board train to Hoboken from River Edge
8:19: arrive at Hoboken
8:29: take PATH to WTC
8:40: arrive at WTC
8:47: arrive at office

77 mins total

People say there’s always delays. I only have to go into the city a handful of times per month but the few times I have gone at around the same time as you it’s been as scheduled.

I go Fair Lawn - Hoboken - WTC and either walk 15 mins to my office (SoHo) or take the 1 train for 2 stops. It’s about 80-85 mins door to door for me.
That sounds about right. The reliability of the trains is always much better then the buses that get stuck in the tunnel and the slow, bus only lane. The only caveat is that the PVL line is of course a shameful embarrassment, one track, non grade separated diesel line that in its present condition would never exit in any civilized country...

Also, walking to the station is not the only non car way to get there. You can buy an inexpensive bike and you will get to the station in 7 minutes. You can also but an E-Scooter.

Old 05-11-2023, 09:13 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I have a friend who has a similar commute from Bergen County down to the WTC area who swears by the NJ Transit bus/subway option which is reliable, frequent and less pricey.

Old 05-11-2023, 09:56 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
That sounds about right. The reliability of the trains is always much better then the buses that get stuck in the tunnel and the slow, bus only lane. The only caveat is that the PVL line is of course a shameful embarrassment, one track, non grade separated diesel line that in its present condition would never exit in any civilized country...
The Pascack Valley line has a few sidings so it has 2 way traffic throughout the day.
Most NJT commuter lines are diesel.
The line is decent enough for regular commuters. It is lacking for evening service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Also, walking to the station is not the only non car way to get there. You can buy an inexpensive bike and you will get to the station in 7 minutes. You can also but an E-Scooter.

Old 05-11-2023, 08:44 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Thank you.

The Bergen/Main lines and the North Jersey Coast line, the ones with which I am most familiar, were on time far more often than not.

According to the performance record, Pascack Valley is at 95%.

https://www.njtransit.com/improve/on...rformance/rail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey