Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 12:53 PM

9,384 posts, read 20,855,904 times

Advertisements

I spent my youth in West Caldwell and graduated from Montclair State University way back in 1999, so of course I read this article every word, and was shocked to hear that the town now has 6 train stops to get to Penn Station. Sounds like I wouldn't recognize this place any longer.

Very interesting read.

https://www.city-journal.org/article...nd-dysfunction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 08:52 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,268,429 times
Quote:
It is beyond belief that, especially in this day and age, Montclair permitted an eight-floor, 159-room hotel to be built a stone’s throw from an elementary school.
LOL. I don't know about Montclair inside baseball, and I'm sure the PILOT deals are corrupt, but clutching pearls over a hotel being "a stone's throw" from an elementary school is a bit much.

Old 06-11-2023, 09:08 PM

4,037 posts, read 3,679,127 times
I didn’t read the whole article and I don’t know much about Montclair outside of it being a pretty happening suburb, I’ve always kind of held this belief of the elite suburban towns. They’re painted like an oasis by realtors but they often have way more issues than some lesser regarded towns.

Old 06-11-2023, 11:26 PM

10,603 posts, read 7,118,525 times
I read the full article. This is not only an actual portrayal of Montclair, but of the Democrats of the entire state. The NJEA is nothing more than tax theft of all homeowners and property renters to the Democrat party, Murphy Administration. The other half are all the developers in bed with Democrat mayors and the state of NJ.

Everything in the town is runs on favors, greed and faux sales pitches. The schools are atrocious but if you move there with kids you are sending them to private schools.

Old 06-12-2023, 12:00 PM

165 posts, read 134,751 times
This is exactly what one would expect from Montclair, the chosen place for sanctimonious NYC elites who don’t believe or practice what’s on their lawn signs. Fortunately, there are so many towns in NJ where people are “real.”

Old 06-13-2023, 08:22 AM

7,061 posts, read 19,348,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I spent my youth in West Caldwell and graduated from Montclair State University way back in 1999, so of course I read this article every word, and was shocked to hear that the town now has 6 train stops to get to Penn Station. Sounds like I wouldn't recognize this place any longer.

Very interesting read.

https://www.city-journal.org/article...nd-dysfunction
That's not new. I lived in Montclair just a few years after you graduated and used one of those stations (Walnut St.) to get to my job in the city.

Unfortunately the story about the schools isn't unfamiliar either. The author's poor understanding of math and HVAC aside, there are real cost control issues and disinvestment issues confronting school districts in many towns large and small, affluent and poor, in several states (blue and red) I follow.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:37 AM

23,634 posts, read 17,312,299 times
show me the NJ town and I'll show you the crime

as Hudson said, 'painted by realtors............."

Old 06-13-2023, 12:32 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,786,107 times
"The locker rooms are apparently unusable since the students have no access to them during gym class; as a result, they take gym wearing their street clothes and have to keep their sweaty clothes on throughout the school day. "

Funny, seems like they like to extrapolate a lot of the problems. Most schools do this now. Kids just do not want to change.

Same with test scores.

and god forbid!!! "The high school does not even have a debating club."

"One middle school social studies teacher left abruptly just a few weeks before the end of this school year to go teach in another school district; no one at the school gave his angry and confused students an explanation for why he was leaving"
None of their business. Personal decisions are not yours to know

Just another old person that doesn't realize the world has changed and nothing is like the rosy visions of times past (even the actual times)

Old 06-14-2023, 09:07 PM

32,010 posts, read 27,191,473 times
Ahhh lovely Montclair, New Jersey.

Beautiful Victorian homes, leafy tree lined streets, an enclave of wealthy were everyone is welcomed and gets along of all races and creeds including LGBT.

That's the story they give out; scratch beneath the surface and you'll hear another story.

What you've often got is tons of limousine liberals and progressive democrats who paid huge sums for their homes and are raked over coals in taxes trying desperately to make things work. Otherwise how can they justify positions taken and or otherwise continuing to promote beautiful Montclair as that wonderful slice of liberal heaven.

More to point too many cracks in that façade might cause property values to decline. So people keep on drinking the Kool-Aid even if they have to choke it down.

Old 06-15-2023, 12:03 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,034,253 times
So Montclair is a wealthy town? I thought it more middle class. I guess the well off people send their kids to private schools like NYC does. Has there been a lot of gentrifications?

I can only hope these stories are exaggerated. Students should not have to go through this stuff like the teacher sexually mollesting students.

However, as someone who went to public school in NJ, I foresaw the degradation of public education into something bad. I went to what is normally a good school system, but even at this place there was much awry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey