Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 06:11 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Hawthorne. It is walkable with a small town center, municipal pool and a public park. It is more affordable than some of the neighboring cities. A lot of my high school classmates still live in town and they are in their 60’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2023, 08:13 AM

1,894 posts, read 892,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avelina53 View Post
Looking for recommendations on where a single, 50-something, sans kids, may feel comfortable living in northern NJ. Preference is to be in walking distance of a small town.
My best friend lived alone in Manalapan Township, she had a condo in a tiny neighborhood that was near a walkable part of town. She loved it there. She worked for Fort Monmouth, so when it closed she had to move away unfortunately.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 1,719 times
Thanks so much, everyone! Really appreciate all of your input and suggestions. Since I'm newer to the area and getting more acclimated to less of a city life, there are definitely some towns I've not heard of, or visited, like Manalapan, Hawthorne, Westfield, etc or so I'll make sure to do some research and check them out.

I'm presently in an apartment in Chatham, but would ideally like to purchase a small home, condo or townhome in the 500k range in the next few years, so I'll definitely look at some real estate options in these suggested towns as well.

And I really like the tips for joining a group or activity, exercise, hiking, etc to get more involved and meet new people. Great ideas. Appreciate this groups wealth of knowledge and advice shared!

Old 08-21-2023, 11:14 AM

1,894 posts, read 892,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avelina53 View Post
I'm presently in an apartment in Chatham, but would ideally like to purchase a small home, condo or townhome in the 500k range in the next few years, so I'll definitely look at some real estate options in these suggested towns as well.

You can definitely get a nice condo in Manalapan for that. My friend's condo was more of a duplex, and it was ~$300k.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:00 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I grew up in Hawthorne. It is walkable with a small town center, municipal pool and a public park. It is more affordable than some of the neighboring cities. A lot of my high school classmates still live in town and they are in their 60’s.
I lived near there most of my earlier life, and actually lived in Hawthorne for four months. I used that pool. It was great. Yes, that's a good town, but I don't know if it's specifically great for older singles.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:57 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Because a lot of the quieter places up there don't have good apartment stock.

I might look at Mount Olive/Flanders. There's 'some' apartments there.
I lived in Oakwood Village (now called Overlook) in Flanders for 5+ years. Met my wife there, in fact. Oakwood was relatively quiet for a large apartment complex with a lower crime rate than comparable complexes in Budd Lake, and some said it was because a lot of MOPD cops lived in Oakwood.

Old 08-22-2023, 06:56 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I lived near there most of my earlier life, and actually lived in Hawthorne for four months. I used that pool. It was great. Yes, that's a good town, but I don't know if it's specifically great for older singles.
My parents lived there until my Dad passed and years later my mom went to assisted living. They were active in senior groups in town. I think meetings were at the library. For a younger senior, it would probably take some effort, just as it would in most places. I moved to Knoxville, TN without knowing anyone and was able to make connections through meetup walking/hiking/dining groups and political activism. I grew up spending summers at the Hawthorne pool. It is a great asset. They converted the former elementary school that is next to the pool into condos. I don’t plan to move back, but if I did I would take a hard look at buying one of those condos. I swim laps every day.

Last edited by JOinGA; 08-22-2023 at 07:09 AM..

Old 08-22-2023, 07:22 AM

3 posts, read 1,719 times
Thanks for sharing this great info everyone. I plan to look into these places, and really appreciate the feedback!

Old 08-22-2023, 09:54 AM

10,478 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Check out the Hills in Bedminster. I always got the sense that the entire area was upper middle class divorcee's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey