Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 07:45 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I believe there actually is a legal fight with Jenkinson's right now about them blocking beach access.

https://brick.shorebeat.com/2023/09/...to-dep-battle/

I'm a strong believer that nobody should be able to control access to the shoreline.
I agree, except for maybe small beaches and waterfront homes that maintain small patches of beach/shoreline. But if NJ allows this arrangement, I don’t see what’s specific about Ocean Grove except for the religious aspect.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 11:11 AM

690 posts, read 584,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No one owns the Beach front in NJ( NJ Supreme Court made that call). Please explain the "attack on Christians".
Why not? Murphy owns the ocean to sell? Surely, these people own the boardwalk and beach front by that logic?

Old 09-18-2023, 11:27 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,070 times
I’m not an authority on this, but isn’t it generally considered that the beach is public, but the issue at hand with both Jenkinson’s and Ocean Grove is that they control the gates which provide access from the boardwalks, and by them closing the gates is what prevents the access?

Like, if you wanted, you could walk along the beach from Asbury Park or Bradley Beach and cross over into Ocean Grove, and I don’t think they will stop you. They don’t have barricades on the beach, right? I have never been to Ocean Grove, so I don’t know for sure.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:37 AM

9,117 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

The comments are more frightening than the actions taken by the town.

Old 09-18-2023, 12:22 PM

961 posts, read 722,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I’m not an authority on this, but isn’t it generally considered that the beach is public, but the issue at hand with both Jenkinson’s and Ocean Grove is that they control the gates which provide access from the boardwalks, and by them closing the gates is what prevents the access?

Like, if you wanted, you could walk along the beach from Asbury Park or Bradley Beach and cross over into Ocean Grove, and I don’t think they will stop you. They don’t have barricades on the beach, right? I have never been to Ocean Grove, so I don’t know for sure.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's right, something about a high-tide mark. But obviously by putting up a gate, it effectively has the same impact. I've been to the beach in Ocean Grove a handful of times, I don't recall physical barricades blocking it from Bradley or Asbury beaches, but can't say I've ever specifically looked for them. Ocean Grove does close the gate on the walkway to Asbury Park at like midnight, which was put up in the 90's over fear of crime spillover.

Old 09-18-2023, 01:36 PM

10,441 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Ocean Grove should just remove their private owned boardwalk and remove access to the public from the beach. Many towns through NJ don't have access, and they should do the same. People should thank these people for building a town where the public can use their property.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 09-18-2023 at 01:44 PM..

Old 09-18-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's silly to say it's an attack on Christians. Very few people are interested in attacking Christians for the sake of attacking Christians. I'm the moderator on the R&S forum here, though, so I know that's a popular claim by some, not all, Christians, that they are being "attacked", even when it's as simple as someone disagreeing with their opinions or beliefs.

I grew up in a fundamentalist (meaning Bible literalist) church as a child, and the mentality is put forth that non-believers are out to persecute and attack them, which may have been a reality at other times and places in history, but here where it's the majority religion that enjoys a great deal of influence on government and society and in fact has done most of the persecuting of other faiths, it's hardly a valid claim.

It's the threat of losing that sense of power that makes them feel attacked, I think.

I think silly arguments like "It's an attack on Christianity!" are best kept out of the situation and the focus put on more logical facets of the argument.

I myself am ambiguous about this. We went to Ocean Grove for a week on vacation when I was a child, renting a house, and it was a lot of fun. The no-driving-on-Sundays rule was in effect, and while it was different, it is also historically part of what gave the town its character because of its religious roots, and there is some value in respecting those roots and not turning everything into a cookie cutter sameness. It's hardly the only beach on the Jersey shore to choose from.

On the other hand, what on earth does being on the beach really have to do with the Christian faith? Is it not part of Creation to be enjoyed?
Christians are the most persecuted group of people in the world. An extreme minority is pursuing the cause to attack Christians. This is a First Amendment and Fifth Amendment violation to these people. If this ever made it to the Supreme Court, it would be a slam dunk case.

Old 09-18-2023, 02:12 PM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Christians are the most persecuted group of people in the world.

Old 09-18-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Smack you head, but Google it. Its a 100% fact that Christians are the most persecuted group of people in the world. You're living in privilege that you are in the most Christian country in the world.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:01 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Ensuring a town complies with state law regarding public access to beaches is "persecution?"

Wow, to live inside some of these folks' heads for a day. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey