Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 08:03 PM

1,934 posts, read 901,303 times

Advertisements

there was a story on Rush, about twenty years ago

car from another state, i think florida, for sake of story let say florida. the driver when to Nj and the the nj trooper ran the tag while it was going down the interstate and it came back that they had a pistol permit. Now the driver did leave it at home, but they held the car on side of the road and pretty much strip search the car for eight hours, keep asking the questiion, where the gun, where the gun, where the gun

so any state but NJ, dont even think about a gun in NJ and no crayon pictures of pistols
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 08:35 PM

11,179 posts, read 8,058,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
If you’re going to carry, it should be a gun that’s guaranteed to stop an attacker
The point was that a .22 is better than nothing.

Old 01-06-2024, 08:57 PM

10,232 posts, read 19,333,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
The point was that a .22 is better than nothing.
Not in NJ. If you get killed you get killed, if you defend yourself with a gun they take away your gun and throw you in a cage with large people who get to torture you for years on end.

Old 01-06-2024, 10:54 PM

3,460 posts, read 1,851,084 times
Both NY and NJ are anti-constitution especially they will create new saws to circumvent the Supreme court forcing them to enforce the 2nd amendment rights. if you disagree, you better have a lot of patience and a ton of money to challenge their laws in the supreme court as it already is being challenged. There are plenty of people with their 50 round mags sitting in warehouses because law was passed to reduce gun mags to 10 rounds.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:09 AM

761 posts, read 324,935 times
I have family in NJ. I don't go there. If you want a gun in NJ, ship it there, but YOU stay home.

Old 01-07-2024, 04:50 AM

2,127 posts, read 6,859,167 times
Appreciate all the additional info. I will make some calls. Being arrested for an unloaded gun in a safe in the back of my car is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 01-07-2024, 07:33 AM

2,127 posts, read 6,859,167 times
It appears this is all the info I need:

Without a NJ PCH, all firearms must be transported in a securely fastened case, unloaded, and separate from the ammunition. If transporting a gun in a car, it should not be accessible from the passenger compartment. If the gun must be carried in the passenger compartment, it MUST be in a locked container. It is illegal to carry a pistol or ammunition in the glovebox, even a locked one.

Old 01-07-2024, 10:33 AM

10,985 posts, read 5,826,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
It appears this is all the info I need:

Without a NJ PCH, all firearms must be transported in a securely fastened case, unloaded, and separate from the ammunition. If transporting a gun in a car, it should not be accessible from the passenger compartment. If the gun must be carried in the passenger compartment, it MUST be in a locked container. It is illegal to carry a pistol or ammunition in the glovebox, even a locked one.
That’s a good start, but it’s not “all the info you need.”

Given that the safe passage provisions of FOPA ‘86 won’t apply to you, you will be under the regular NJ firearm transportation provisions, which are quite draconian. What you noted above address the condition and location of the firearm and ammunition while transporting. However, and this is the big issue, without a NJ PCH, you can ONLY transport a firearm in the following situations/circumstances:

1) By a licensed firearm dealer transporting firearms during the course of their business;

2) An individual transporting a firearm between their dwelling and business, between their dwellings or between their dwelling or business and a firearm repair shop; or

3) Transport to or from a shooting range, a hunting site, or a sponsored firearm exhibition.

From what you’ve described in this thread none of those exceptions will apply to you.

PLEASE, just leave your gun at home, and resolve to only travel to/through Free states in the future.

Old 01-07-2024, 11:05 AM

3,246 posts, read 2,485,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I have an open carry permit here in TN (it's just a .22) and I will be staying in NJ for a few weeks this summer. I see that I cannot have the gun loaded or in my reach while in the car. I'm reading this page
https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/tra...-firearm.shtml

Apparently federal law will not permit my travel with a handgun coming to NJ where the possession of it is not legal. So does that mean I cannot bring the gun at all? I just want to be sure, cause it's pretty shocking to me. (I have no intention of open carrying, I just wanted the gun as I will be by myself quite often).

I was on the uslawshield site and am wondering if I'm supposed to purchase legal protection for a trip such as this? Hopefully someone here has experience with my situation? TIA
A simple search shows this https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state...ey%20residents.

Apply for a permit for concealed carry. Ask when applying how you should carry it in a car if they grant you a permit.

Old 01-07-2024, 11:05 AM

89,077 posts, read 85,693,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That’s a good start, but it’s not “all the info you need.”

Given that the safe passage provisions of FOPA ‘86 won’t apply to you, you will be under the regular NJ firearm transportation provisions, which are quite draconian. What you noted above address the condition and location of the firearm and ammunition while transporting. However, and this is the big issue, without a NJ PCH, you can ONLY transport a firearm in the following situations/circumstances:

1) By a licensed firearm dealer transporting firearms during the course of their business;

2) An individual transporting a firearm between their dwelling and business, between their dwellings or between their dwelling or business and a firearm repair shop; or

3) Transport to or from a shooting range, a hunting site, or a sponsored firearm exhibition.

From what you’ve described in this thread none of those exceptions will apply to you.

PLEASE, just leave your gun at home, and resolve to only travel to/through Free states in the future.
Unless you are going to be spending time in the sketchy rundown cities, of which NJ admittedly has its share, chances of ever needing a gun at hand are pretty slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey