Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2024, 04:49 PM

89,080 posts, read 85,693,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolympus View Post
Of course he enjoys the fact that up to 100,000 want to attend his rallies. I really don't see anything wrong with that. The only reason to be upset about that, is if you just don't like the guy or his policies.

The downside does not come the attention he gets. The down side comes from facing the corrupt establishment that has thrown everything they have at him since 2016.

Here is a 3 minute video, an interview with Oprah Winfrey in 1988, that proves he has long wanted to solve the countries problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEPs17_AkTI
I don't see where it proves he has long wanted to solve the country's problems at all. It just shows what we always knew about Donald Trump, that he liked to talk big, play the know-it-all, and be in the spotlight.

And you know what? That's OK. That's who he always was, an attention seeker who liked being a celebrity, part of the color of New York City, especially back in that era. There was nothing wrong with that. It's when he began take his celebrity to the next level and realized he could play the political game and realized followers were lining up that he went somewhere I don't think he should be. Oprah even calls him on it in that clip. "This sounds like political presidential talk to me."

I truly believe that if he didn't have that TV show, half the country wouldn't have had an interest in him. I never saw it, but I heard of it, of course, but recently I was shocked to learn it went seven seasons! I thought it was on maybe a year. I guess it was a matter of seeing the timing for him. He had the attention of the people who admire the wealthy and would watch a show like that, and he realized he could fill that gap where no one in Washington was paying attention to that segment of society. Lesson learned for the DC establishment, maybe, but maybe not.

What we can hope for after the disasters of the past eight years is that there where will be a major overhaul and by some miracle, a true leader or three will emerge.

Old 05-20-2024, 08:13 PM

374 posts, read 96,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't see where it proves he has long wanted to solve the country's problems at all. It just shows what we always knew about Donald Trump, that he liked to talk big, play the know-it-all, and be in the spotlight.
1988 to 2016 seems like a long time to me. He enjoyed building buildings and making money and hoped some other leader would come along and address the problems of the country. Specifically, the trade issues he was talking about.

Quote:
And you know what? That's OK. That's who he always was, an attention seeker who liked being a celebrity, part of the color of New York City, especially back in that era. There was nothing wrong with that.
Yes, it is OK.

Quote:
It's when he began take his celebrity to the next level and realized he could play the political game and realized followers were lining up that he went somewhere I don't think he should be. Oprah even calls him on it in that clip. "This sounds like political presidential talk to me."
So a business man - celebrity should never seek the U S. Presidency? This is the mystery to me. Trump was OK, everyone seemed to love him. Just look at the admiring eyes in Oprah's audience. But as soon as he announced he was running for president, half the country hated him.

Quote:
I truly believe that if he didn't have that TV show, half the country wouldn't have had an interest in him. I never saw it, but I heard of it, of course, but recently I was shocked to learn it went seven seasons! I thought it was on maybe a year. I guess it was a matter of seeing the timing for him. He had the attention of the people who admire the wealthy and would watch a show like that, and he realized he could fill that gap where no one in Washington was paying attention to that segment of society. Lesson learned for the DC establishment, maybe, but maybe not.
I never watched that show. "Your Fired!" I have never heard anyone say that is the reason for their support of Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2024, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Trump has no policies and no accomplishments in his first administration other than riding on Obama's coattails of an already recovered and functioning economy (other than improving his golf handicap score).
Yes, I remember. Everything that happened during the Obama administration was Bush's fault. Obama had all his accomplishments during the Trump administration.

Old 05-20-2024, 09:41 PM

4,198 posts, read 5,113,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Obama sold out the country!!
...and nowhere in your diatribe do you present one shred of evidence to support that claim.

Because there are none.

You're a provocateur, nothing more.

Old 05-20-2024, 10:12 PM

10,829 posts, read 7,297,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
...and nowhere in your diatribe do you present one shred of evidence to support that claim.

Because there are none.

You're a provocateur, nothing more.
Did you just say not a shred of evidence after I mentioned the TPP?

Maybe you weren't astute to what was happening during the Obama Administration but it was literally selling off the country to the highest bidders. The Big Banks, Wall Street, auto makers got taxpayer bailouts. The insurance companies and pharmaceutical industry made out by in Obamacare. Then the Obama Administration did everything they could to outsource the remaining manufacturing and lower level white collar jobs, and flood the country with H-1B visas. If you wanted to make money in your 401k during the Obama years, just move it to an International Index.

This wasn't some type of Republican theory, even the left was taken back and said it needs to stop. From a pop-culture reference the biggest TV shows were Outsourced.

Over half of the 2016 election was about Obama selling out the country and ending it. It's ultimately the reason why Trump was elected.

Old 05-21-2024, 06:25 AM

89,080 posts, read 85,693,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolympus View Post
1988 to 2016 seems like a long time to me. He enjoyed building buildings and making money and hoped some other leader would come along and address the problems of the country. Specifically, the trade issues he was talking about.

Yes, it is OK.

So a business man - celebrity should never seek the U S. Presidency? This is the mystery to me. Trump was OK, everyone seemed to love him. Just look at the admiring eyes in Oprah's audience. But as soon as he announced he was running for president, half the country hated him.

I never watched that show. "Your Fired!" I have never heard anyone say that is the reason for their support of Trump.
Did I say that? No, I did not. And I don't hate him. He once told me I was terrific (on a business call, pre-running for President.) He was certainly right about that.

It is his ego and self-centeredness that make me not want him for President. That does not make someone a good leader in government. He brings his personal dislikes into office and lets them influence decisions that should be about what is best for the country.

Old 05-21-2024, 08:37 AM

5,308 posts, read 3,880,620 times
Quote:
Did I say that? No, I did not. And I don't hate him. He once told me I was terrific (on a business call, pre-running for President.) He was certainly right about that.

It is his ego and self-centeredness that make me not want him for President. That does not make someone a good leader in government. He brings his personal dislikes into office and lets them influence decisions that should be about what is best for the country.
Ego and self centeredness is part of the package of nearly every politician. Personal dislikes? Looked around the past 3 plus years and seen what is going on?

Old 05-21-2024, 08:49 AM

10,829 posts, read 7,297,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaStevens View Post
This is verifiably false. You shouldn't have to lie to prove a point...

$100k invested in January of 2009 in any index that tracks total US markets would have been worth about $299k in December of 2016. The same amount invested in an index tracking international markets would have only grown to $169k.

You probably manage money about as well as Trump does.

Source - http://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/b...ass-allocation I used US stock market vs Global ex-US Stock Market as my portfolios, I'm sure you can plug in exactly which ever indexes you want.
Using your own link, Obamas first term.

Emerging Markets: 22.26%
US Stock Market: 15.98% (that also comes from the big bounce from the bottom of 2008)

Not to mention Emerging Markets soared 76% under Obamas first year.

There was an pending Emerging Markets Debt Crisis that occurred during Obamas second term.

Old 05-21-2024, 10:49 AM

5,308 posts, read 3,880,620 times
Manage money the way Trump does? Patently silly statement the guy is worth over 7 billion dollars.

Old 05-21-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:

His personal dislikes? He doesn't like open borders with millions of illegals coming into our country unchecked for human trafficking, terrorists and fentanyl. He doesn't like other countries when they don't pay their fair share. He doesn't like men competing is women's sports and dressing in women's locker rooms. And stuff like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey