Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:06 AM

438 posts, read 965,088 times

Advertisements

I am going to give a description of this THING I found in my backyard yesterday here in Montague. Hopefully someone can give me an idea of what in the hell it was I saw.....
I have seen alot of spiders around my house lately so I bought a spray to kill them. When I was spraying the sides of my house 2 of these things came out of a wood deck area very close to the dirt. They jumped up on my wall.....
Around 3 to 5 inches
very thin and slender, VERY long legs
it looked like it had a tongue zipping in and out of it's mouth, it was (I guess) surveying the area to see where i hadn't sprayed yet and didn't like what it tasted. It scurried back in to the dirt before i had a chance to get a camera or at the very least step on it.

the pictures I've seen online (after entering a description) point me to a Tetragnathid Spider but I'm not certain. Since I've moved from BC to Montague I've seen things I've never even known to have existed.
as anyone encountered one before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 07:11 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfulou View Post
I have seen alot of spiders around my house lately so I bought a spray to kill them. When I was spraying the sides of my house 2 of these things came out of a wood deck area very close to the dirt.
I prefer spiders (and bats) to gnats, flies, mosquitoes, etc... Trust me, leave the spiders alone and they'll take care of the other stuff.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:21 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I prefer spiders (and bats) to gnats, flies, mosquitoes, etc... Trust me, leave the spiders alone and they'll take care of the other stuff.

Agree ....we don't have any Brown Recluses or Black Widows here unless they hitched a ride....

Old 06-13-2008, 07:29 AM

I kill off the ones inside (here and there) but the stuff I am seeing on my house outside is a no no. If they are killing off other things not wanted, they have fallen behind on the caterpillars!

Old 06-13-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I kill off the ones inside (here and there) but the stuff I am seeing on my house outside is a no no. If they are killing off other things not wanted, they have fallen behind on the caterpillars!
I never kill spiders..hubbie hates them and will point them out to me so i can pick them up & put outside before he squishes them.

You would need an army of spiders to keep up with the caterpillars right now....I'm just wondering if all these caterpillars crawling all over will soon be turning into gypsy moths

Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 AM

that is what I am trying to prevent...
we have a small moth issue in my basement and after a week I realized it wasn't me leaving a door open or something. I bought a dehumidifier yesterday and just running it all night into this morning made a difference down there. We have a finished basement and a laundry room and the last thing I need is a moth mess.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
that is what I am trying to prevent...
we have a small moth issue in my basement and after a week I realized it wasn't me leaving a door open or something. I bought a dehumidifier yesterday and just running it all night into this morning made a difference down there. We have a finished basement and a laundry room and the last thing I need is a moth mess.
Well if they are gypsy moths they will do a lot of damage to the trees
I remember years we had them so bad, if it was quiet out, you could actually hear them munching away on the trees

Old 06-15-2008, 05:13 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I never kill spiders..hubbie hates them and will point them out to me so i can pick them up & put outside before he squishes them.

You would need an army of spiders to keep up with the caterpillars right now....I'm just wondering if all these caterpillars crawling all over will soon be turning into gypsy moths
I thought I was the only "nut" that saved spiders : ) We have some pretty huge ones here... The neighbor called them "duck spiders" - they love the pool area. I think they may also be called "funnel spiders". We had one Cave Spider or Cavern Spider in the basement a while back... I didn't kill it and it eventually went back into its little hole : ) Now I'm rescueing bumble bees and honey bees from the pool each day. Last year we had tons of bumbles and hardly any honey bees. This year it seems to be the opposite. Wasps and Hornets... I won't intentionally kill them but if someone else happens to step on one by accident... that's ok with me : ) I don't get their purpose but the bumbles and honey bees are so important to our existance.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:53 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
"say hello to my little friend" : ) I looked up the spider that I keep pulling out of my pool..it's a "Fishing Spider" or "Northern Dolomede". Either way, they are ugly and some of them have been close to 3-inches long...yuck! http://spiders.entomology.wisc.edu/P...tenebrosus.jpg

Old 06-15-2008, 02:09 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Agree ....we don't have any Brown Recluses or Black Widows here unless they hitched a ride....
Sorry Kate, I beg to differ. My ex was bitten on the ankle by a brown recluse about 5 years ago. It was terrible. He developed a severe infection and had a fever of around 104. He was lucky that it was caught relatively early on no thanks to the ER who insisted it was a tick bite. You are correct though, they are not native to the area, but the family Dr. said that they "hitch" rides up north especially in wood deliveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey