Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 7,911 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to NJ in July and we're really in need of some good advice. Our plan is for me to rent a room in the city (I'm attending Columbia U in the fall) and for my husband to rent us a place in NJ (he's taking a job in Edison). We're already considering options in Metuchen, which fits much of our criteria: I need an uncomplicated commute to the city for those handful of days/nights I stay in NJ or when my husband wants to visit me in the city, but also - we're really looking for green, quaint NJ, a Main Street, farmer's market, friendly neighbors, eclectic and ethnic restaurants.. a tip: we weren't all that keen on Jersey City. .. SO, anywhere else besides Metuchen where we should be looking? A friend recommended Ridgewood, which sounds really nice, but I'm wondering about the commute to NYC..? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 02:55 PM

24 posts, read 88,476 times
Westfield may be a good option! Town center is beautiful, train into NYC.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:02 PM

45 posts, read 203,440 times
I think Metuchen and Westfield would be your best bets. The Clara Barton section of Edison also fits your criteria (the area off of Amboy Ave.)

Last edited by JerseyLover21; 06-13-2008 at 03:11 PM..

Old 06-13-2008, 04:38 PM

98 posts, read 291,587 times
Default Orange County to Maplewood

We are relocating from Orange County as well. We chose Maplewood - diverse, quaint, midtown direct to NY Penn. Want to know more you can email me directly.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:48 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,672 times
Well Metuchen has the direct train which Westfield does not. You would have to switch in Newark. New Jersey Transit - Home

Metuchen's downtown is mainly restaurants and coffee houses. They do have a Farmer's Market and an antique car show once a month in the summer. Something good is usually going on there.

Here are some links I gave to a previous poster with Metuchen questions:

Home - Welcome to Franklin Square, Metuchen ! (broken link)

Metuchen Chamber of Commerce

Metuchen, New Jersey, Chamber of Commerce, apartments, motels, jobs in Metuchen NJ

Metuchen Branch YMCA - (http://www.metuchen-edisonymca.org/metuchen/main.htm - broken link)

Last edited by tandcookies; 06-13-2008 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: fixing links

Old 06-13-2008, 06:15 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
Try Bayonne

Close enough to Edison, take the trains to Manhattan(columbia)

walkable, very old fashion

Old 06-13-2008, 06:36 PM

45 posts, read 203,440 times
I don't think Bayonne would fit her "green, quaint NJ" criteria...I'd get she's looking for something more suburban and Bayonne is more on the urban side.

I would still say Metuchen is your best bet...I live here and love it. The downtown is one of the bests in the area with a lot of great restaurants, the neighbors are very friendly, and the commute to NYC is easy. There's a farmers market on Rt. 1 by Menlo Park Mall and there's also a small produce store by A&P on Amboy Ave.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 7,911 times
okay, thanks all. sounds like we're basically on the right track w/ Metuchen, though I'll do Westfield & Maplewood investigations just in case.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:18 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Ridgewood is a nice town. It has train service, but you have to switch trains in Secaucus to get into NY Penn Station. There are express buses that run directly from Ridgewood to NYC, though. Check NJTRANSIT.com if you wanna look into it. It would be a long commute to Edison for your husband, though. Why deal with that when you don't have to?

Metuchen is a good choice for your situation. I think few people on City-Data inquire about it. It has a little village center, coffee shops. It's close to the Oak Tree Road area, where there are tons of Indian restaurants and shops. I'm sure Metuchen has a farmers market, and also there are Korean and Pan-Asian markets in Edison, the township that surrounds Metuchen.

I'd recommend Metuchen, but if you want to check out some other towns just for due dilligence, look into:
  • Red Bank (live music/nightlife scene and near the shore),
  • Highland Park (it's tiny but enough conveniences in walking distance, schlep to the train though),
  • Rahway (a bit gritty but showing promising signs with redevelopment).
  • I'll also say take a look at South Amboy. I bet people on this forum will yell at me for saying that, but I've heard about a lot of waterfront redevelopment which is making it a very nice town and destination for commuters.

All those are worth a look, but IMO Metuchen comes out the winner.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:11 PM

5 posts, read 16,309 times
Hah! I moved out here from the OC to be with my Jersey native husband..it's been about 2 1/2 years I have been out here. We currently rent in Edison. But when we buy something, definitely Westfield or Metuchen. Both are really cute and quaint. Westfield has a Trader Joes and a really cute outdoor shopping area with some super classy stores. And at least a few farmers markets. And then Metuchen is a little more low key...with a cute main street area with some cafes and little stores. Smaller than Westfield, but equally as cute... Best of luck and have a safe trip here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey