Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:34 AM

4 posts, read 34,189 times

Advertisements

My question involves a careless driving ticket from the State of: New Jersey.

I am a PA resident and occasionally have to be in NYC for work. I park at the MetroPark Parking Deck and take the train to NYC.

It was around 730am today, heavy bumper to bumper traffic in the parking deck, and I was looking for a parking spot. I get pulled over by two cops, furnish registration/license/insurance as requested, and one of the cop tells me that I was speeding. Honestly, there is no way I could be speeding, given the heavy rush hour traffic in the parking deck. The cop goes to her car, writes up the ticket, hands it over to me and walks away. I was blocking the traffic, so I decide to find a parking spot and read the ticket.

She charges me for careless driving in the ticket. And I clearly remember the cop saying that she had stopped me for speeding. First of all, I feel I was unfairly being charged, and given a ticket and not given an opportunity to ask questions and clarify the charge on the ticket.

In another incident two weeks back in the same Metropark parking deck, one of the cops involved in the recent incident (careless driving charge), had issued me a ticket for driving in the wrong way in a one-way. I have to admit I was guilty in this case. I have a court date for the wrong way charge next week and court date for the careless driving charge the following week at the same court.

1. I would appreciate your thoughts on how should I approach this situation. As much as possible, I would like to avoid points on my driving history and any insurance premium hikes.

2. Given that I am a PA resident, what impact would NJ tickets have on my driving history and insurance?

Any thoughts on this, are greatly appreciated. I would like to add that I have never had any traffic violations in the past 9 years of my driving experience. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:45 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,603,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyDude View Post
My question involves a careless driving ticket from the State of: New Jersey.

I am a PA resident and occasionally have to be in NYC for work. I park at the MetroPark Parking Deck and take the train to NYC.

It was around 730am today, heavy bumper to bumper traffic in the parking deck, and I was looking for a parking spot. I get pulled over by two cops, furnish registration/license/insurance as requested, and one of the cop tells me that I was speeding. Honestly, there is no way I could be speeding, given the heavy rush hour traffic in the parking deck. The cop goes to her car, writes up the ticket, hands it over to me and walks away. I was blocking the traffic, so I decide to find a parking spot and read the ticket.

She charges me for careless driving in the ticket. And I clearly remember the cop saying that she had stopped me for speeding. First of all, I feel I was unfairly being charged, and given a ticket and not given an opportunity to ask questions and clarify the charge on the ticket.

In another incident two weeks back in the same Metropark parking deck, one of the cops involved in the recent incident (careless driving charge), had issued me a ticket for driving in the wrong way in a one-way. I have to admit I was guilty in this case. I have a court date for the wrong way charge next week and court date for the careless driving charge the following week at the same court.

1. I would appreciate your thoughts on how should I approach this situation. As much as possible, I would like to avoid points on my driving history and any insurance premium hikes.

2. Given that I am a PA resident, what impact would NJ tickets have on my driving history and insurance?

Any thoughts on this, are greatly appreciated. I would like to add that I have never had any traffic violations in the past 9 years of my driving experience. Thanks in advance.
Well your first issue is "PA Tags". Seems cops in NJ will target you first... I see it on Rt. 80 all the time and I swear, I don't smile everytime I pass a PA tagged car pulled over : ) Actually, the issue on Rt. 80 with the PA tags is, in my opinion, associate with the "gang" issues and drug smuggling issues that are currently a huge problem in the pocono area. Cops are searching for cars from PA. Now your situation...you may have a good arguement for the speeding vs. careless driving arguement but the one way...they'll have you on that one as you already admitted fault. I believe points will appear on your PA license for tickets obtained in NJ. You can try to fight it or talk to the prosecutor for that town/city in NJ to see if he can reduce the ticket from a careless to no seat belt if you agree to pay a heavier fine...we like our fine monies more than we like seeing you get points : ). It's worth a shot...just plead not guilty and show up for court. Ask to speak with the prosecutor before your case comes before the judge. If the prosecutor agrees and is willing to do this for you, he'll tell the judge what the agreement is and the judge will tell you how much. Good luck...and stay out of those difficult parking lots : )

Old 06-26-2008, 10:37 AM

222 posts, read 1,025,859 times
Thank you for participating in the "NJ Takes Back" Fund Drive for 2008.

And you thought you could get away from the expenses of NJ by living in penn? Foolish mortal. You'd need to live in the dakotas for that.

Good luck out there and drive safe!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:47 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,107 times
My nephew got a speeding ticket in Jersey and it didn't become points on his PA license. Maybe you can at least avoid that.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:09 AM

34 posts, read 126,516 times
You know I must say PA drivers do drive like the entire State of NJ is suppose to get out of their way when they're on the road.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:11 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
How do you speed in a parking deck?? How do you speed in a parking deck with traffic?? There are no speed limits on parking decks or even parking lots. Even if there were, the speed limit sign is posted by the private owners of the garage or parking lot. That means it is a NOT a DOT approved speed limit sign which means no oinker can give you a ticket for disobeying that sign.

It is also illegal for an oinker to sit in hiding on any private property to look for traffic violations. There must be a complaint by the owner of that property first. You did not mention anyone complaining about you so I assume you did nothing.

What to do? We live in a police state. We are losing our constitutional rights daily. And at an even more rapid pace the past 7 years. As the Dictator "The Decider" said to our country in a nationally televised speech: "The Constitution? Dont give me that crap, its just a G-Damn piece of paper" "I will do as I please, I am The Decider". Hey those of you who voted for him cant complain.

It is usually cheaper to pay the ticket then to fight it. It is rare, almost non existant to beat a ticket. An oinkers word is gospel. The public knows that cops lie at least as much as politicians but that truth does not work that way in a court of law. You are a mere peon in the eyes of the court. You are looked at like a criminal with no worth but to produce revenue for the town.

Unless things changed, you will not get points on you PA license if you were shaken down in NJ. Your problem will be that PA, NJ, NY, are all what they call reciprocating states. Meaning they all share data. I do not believe NJ law can cross into PA with a traffic warrant but it is their option for a serious offense.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-dlc.pdf

This should help. Insurance will not be affected for an out of state offense. Those coppers must have gotten a stale donut this morning. I hope they didn't beat their wives too badly.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:14 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,603,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
How do you speed in a parking deck?? How do you speed in a parking deck with traffic?? There are no speed limits on parking decks or even parking lots. Even if there were, the speed limit sign is posted by the private owners of the garage or parking lot. That means it is a NOT a DOT approved speed limit sign which means no oinker can give you a ticket for disobeying that sign.

It is also illegal for an oinker to sit in hiding on any private property to look for traffic violations. There must be a complaint by the owner of that property first. You did not mention anyone complaining about you so I assume you did nothing.

What to do? We live in a police state. We are losing our constitutional rights daily. And at an even more rapid pace the past 7 years. As the Dictator "The Decider" said to our country in a nationally televised speech: "The Constitution? Dont give me that crap, its just a G-Damn piece of paper" "I will do as I please, I am The Decider". Hey those of you who voted for him cant complain.

It is usually cheaper to pay the ticket then to fight it. It is rare, almost non existant to beat a ticket. An oinkers word is gospel. The public knows that cops lie at least as much as politicians but that truth does not work that way in a court of law. You are a mere peon in the eyes of the court. You are looked at like a criminal with no worth but to produce revenue for the town.

Unless things changed, you will not get points on you PA license if you were shaken down in NJ. Your problem will be that PA, NJ, NY, are all what they call reciprocating states. Meaning they all share data. I do not believe NJ law can cross into PA with a traffic warrant but it is their option for a serious offense.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-dlc.pdf

This should help. Insurance will not be affected for an out of state offense. Those coppers must have gotten a stale donut this morning. I hope they didn't beat their wives too badly.
At it again dessertsun...cop bashing : )) It's probably why they change the ticket from speeding to careless....

Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 PM

79 posts, read 302,939 times
All great info, thanks for responding.

Any thoughts on what my approach should be regarding the court appearance, and what should be my line of defense?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:16 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,659,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbrctr View Post
You know I must say PA drivers do drive like the entire State of NJ is suppose to get out of their way when they're on the road.
I agree with you. In the morning going east on 80, the PA tags are passing me up like I'm standing still! AND they don't have "signal lights" on their cars!
Yet when I drive in PA, they all stay to the right and maintain the speed limit. What's up with that?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 PM

79 posts, read 302,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I agree with you. In the morning going east on 80, the PA tags are passing me up like I'm standing still! AND they don't have "signal lights" on their cars!
Yet when I drive in PA, they all stay to the right and maintain the speed limit. What's up with that?
I do not believe, I am the PA driver that you are describing. And, it is certainly not a PA driver in NJ vs NJ driver in PA, or PA vs NJ discussion. I apologize on behalf of fellow PA drivers.

I am only looking for some helpful insights on this situation. This incident occurred in a parking garage where you cannot be driving beyond 5 mph during peak parking time (730am).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey