Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 02:32 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times

Advertisements

good luck to all cant wait either.....I guess some people just love paying these taxes and costs...We choose not to anymore

Kudos to all of you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 04:56 PM

30 posts, read 100,477 times
Default Its funny

I live in south jersey and we are looking to move to NC due to the same reasons as everyone else, but it seems that almost everyone is coming from North Jersey- which is a lot more crowded and cost of living is way outta control. Am I really the only one from south jersey?

Old 01-21-2007, 05:32 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Don't wish for to much Utopia in the South.
We don't call North Carolina "North Taxalina" for nothing

True, it isn't no Jersey, but by the time you add the whole gammit, you might be in for a shock.
8% income tax, cross the board sales tax, car inspection fees, car taxes, etc.
NC holds the highest taxation of the South.
You will find paradise in Mount Airy and Ashville, maybe even on parts of Raleigh but you may miss ole Jersey

Old 01-21-2007, 06:03 PM

Default A very honest response

thanks. I do realize there are a lot of "hidden" costs. I have to figure all of that out too. First step was to find an area worth considering. I think I have that covered. I was surprised to hear about a vehicle property tax though- are you kidding me?

Old 01-21-2007, 06:15 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
well anything is better than loosing half your salary and 12k a year in property taxes...NC has to tax me 4x on what im going to pay compared to what they are here in NJ...even with the HOA fees and Car tax im still ahead of the game, schools overcroweded in NC well same here too however THEY will not build any schools here because they will raise taxes again unfortuantley by the time you get back to NJ taxes im sure will be more out of control than they are now, but good luck to you whatever you choose...with the 4 hour commute for my hubby and sacrificing the family it just isnt worth it anymore..and the stress...but that is just our situation...and vehicle tax well there are quiet a few states that have it..our income tax well NJ is also very high..to here and alot more jobs....good luck moving back....

Old 01-21-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Ahhh

I may be a bit slow tonight- what is the HOA?

Old 01-21-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
well anything is better than loosing half your salary and 12k a year in property taxes...NC has to tax me 4x on what im going to pay compared to what they are here in NJ...even with the HOA fees and Car tax im still ahead of the game, schools overcroweded in NC well same here too however THEY will not build any schools here because they will raise taxes again unfortuantley by the time you get back to NJ taxes im sure will be more out of control than they are now, but good luck to you whatever you choose...with the 4 hour commute for my hubby and sacrificing the family it just isnt worth it anymore..and the stress...but that is just our situation...and vehicle tax well there are quiet a few states that have it..our income tax well NJ is also very high..to here and alot more jobs....good luck moving back....
Wow! 12k now in Jackson. I was paying 8k in Eastampton when I sold, I notice the same home is now 10k.
As I stated, NC is no NJ, but like NJ you have to watch where you move when it comes to the south. Parts of NC are just plain outstanding and some parts, well, just be alert.

Im in Atlanta and know the traffic here is worse than what I had in Jersey. Here it's a 24 hour NASCAR race. Absolutely the worst place I have driven in my life, with some exception to the 5 in LA.

I will admit one thing I absolutely hate in NC. Nowhere offers Non Smoking. They may state Non-Smoking, but just consider it "less smokey" Being the tobacco capitol of the nation when you eat out you will get to enjoy smoked pork, smoked steak, smoked veggies, and smoked tea.

Good Luck on your move. Make sure you bring some NJ pizza and put it on ice.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 19,347 times
home owners association fee

Old 01-21-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascaffo View Post
I may be a bit slow tonight- what is the HOA?
Home Owners Association.
For example, my dues are $500.00 per year.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascaffo View Post
thanks. I do realize there are a lot of "hidden" costs. I have to figure all of that out too. First step was to find an area worth considering. I think I have that covered. I was surprised to hear about a vehicle property tax though- are you kidding me?

Oh yes, the dreaded Ad valorem. It's a Southern thing.
My tags are $25.00 per year, but my car tax on one vehicle is $295.00 and the other is $325.00. In short close to $700.00 just to renew my tags.

Now NC even has an inspection process of some sort. Basically, if you miss your expiration by a day its an additional $250.00 fine.

The funny thing is even with all the inspection, tax, etc., it is still hard to imagine the heavy amount of scruff buggies running around burning black smoke, missing bumpers, and the lovely multi-color paints with the paper license plate stating "Tag applied for"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey