Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:01 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times

Advertisements

I've played with the smaller quoits (who says size matters?).

More frequently with horseshoes, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:46 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I've played with the smaller quoits (who says size matters?).

More frequently with horseshoes, though.
This really is quite amazing to me. Only two people on this whole board??? One would think that Trenton quoits might have spread farther via the great Trenton diaspora of the 1970s and 80s. Based on this though I would guess that they're still very much confined to the following towns:

Hamilton
Bordentown
Ewing
Lawrence
Hopewell
Morrisville, PA

Any posters from these areas care to weigh in?

Old 07-05-2009, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,774 times
found this thread through Google... anyway, Trenton quoits originated right across the street from the house I grew up in. They were designed lighter with a larger hole and closer hubs than traditional quoits. This was to encourage family play at the pits at the Trenton Fairgrounds. Anyone old enough to remember the race track (now Hamilton Lakes) and the buildings (now Grounds for sculpture and Rats(z?) restaurant) knows that they were actually in Hamilton. Remember Kings mall? Ghetto Shop Rite? PFO? All sitting on top of the birth place of Trenton Quoits. Which now only reside in a handful of fairly popular leagues in Hamilton pretty much, and Labor day picnics (BBQ for you non-Trentonians) in the areas surrounding Trenton.

Trenton Style Quoits born in Hamilton...just like the Mercer automobile and Anthrax scare.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:49 PM

30 posts, read 108,438 times
badfish - cool post - I like learning new stuff. Been in Jersey 47 years and never heard of quoits. Growing up in a heavily Italian neighborhood in South Jersey (Washington Twp, about 15 miles SSE of Center City), our block party BBQ's always featured bocce, which I loved, as a kid and got pretty good at. It's now a fixture at our BBQ's. Also, growing up, it was Taylor Ham and my mom made it for us plenty of times - I usually just ate it plain on white bread. However, once I came up to Rutgers, everyone called it porkroll, and porkroll, egg and cheese on a hardroll sandwiches (with saltpepperketchup, of course) became a regular staple of my diet and still are. The Bagel Pantry in Metuchen makes a great porkroll-egg-and-cheese sandwich, although the best might still be from White Rose in Highland Park (in addition to late night drunken cheeseburgers and fries after a night out in New Brunswick).

Old 07-05-2009, 07:53 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
So we've established that it's mostly the dyed in the wool hardcore Central and South Jersey folks that call it "Pork Roll." Now how many people on this board remember pitching "Trenton Quoits" at a backyard BBQ in the Trenton/Hamilton area while enjoying a nice grilled pork roll sandwich and a frosty Yuengling?
Played Trenton Quoits in Central NJ but never had a Yuengling until I came to Pennsylvania.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:08 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
OK folks, gather round for a little history lesson. Quoits (pronounced K-W-A-T-E-S) are a very old game and can most recently trace their ancestry to the British Isles. As you can see by clicking on the link they are simply steel rings that are tossed or "pitched" onto steel pins sunk into the ground in a similar manner to horseshoes, which most people are familiar with. Quoits were widely played in early Colonial America as the British settlers brought the game with them. After the Revolution however, like many decidedly "British" things, quoits fell out of favor and took a backseat to horseshoes, which was considered to be a more "American" game, despite itself having roots in Europe.
I play horseshoes, ONLY, because I'm a patriot. I don't understand how any New Jersey patriot could play a Tory game like quoits. I'll bet they're all the same loyalists who want to change the name of Rutgers University, named after Revolutionary War hero Colonel Henry Rutgers, back to Queen's College, in honor of their beloved Queen of England! I'll bet if they had their way we'd have no more Taylor Ham on Kaiser Rolls, but little cucumber sandwiches and fish 'n' chips! They want us to trade in the New Jersey-born game of baseball for the British game of cricket!

OK, I'm just kidding, but thanks for the lesson about quoits, I never heard of it before, and I'm a life-long NJ'an. My first thought was "what a weird name for a game," but then I remembered the favorite backyard game of the state of Ohio - "cornhole". No game sounds weirder than "cornhole", and I'll just leave it at that! lol

Old 07-05-2009, 08:09 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
As long as it's authentic I don't care what it's called

Old 07-05-2009, 10:34 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
Now how many people on this board remember pitching "Trenton Quoits" at a backyard BBQ in the Trenton/Hamilton area while enjoying a nice grilled pork roll sandwich and a frosty Yuengling?
Not I..............

Old 07-06-2009, 01:12 AM

8 posts, read 18,315 times
Trenton-dwelling 20-something here.

Posting to let you know that quiots are still alive and well here in the area. All my buddies from Hamilton, Lawrence, and Robbinsville still play the game to this day. Actually, I can't really imagine having a bonfire in this area without having a game going on somewhere in the background.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:17 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
Please don't rip me for this, but do they sell Taylor Ham at Pathmark or Shoprite or do I have to go to a local butcher?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey