Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 10:18 AM

189 posts, read 262,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
What about the area around 47th and Park ave. that is technically Weehawken?
That's funny, I actually live on 47th street in Weehawken. It's not a bad area at all i've been living here for the past 15 years and I love it. There are a lot of new condos on the park avenue side of Union City/Weehawken border, plus you are 4 bus stops away from times square. All in all UC is a good town with a bad rap, if your afraid of cultural diversity then UC is not the area to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 10:37 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,142 times
I live in Union City off Park Ave...not sure why everyone thinks its so unsafe. I'm not Hispanic either. I've heard the southern downtown area of UC wasn't the greatest but it does look like new development is going on there.

FYI Cremas off of Park Ave and 40th St I think, is an awesome gelato/ice cream spot...definitely check it out

Old 09-10-2012, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,550 times
Default Union Ctiy

I have lived in Union City area my whole life that's 36 years - I am Cuban American -

Is Union City safe ? Yes and No

At one time I was part of the crime problem in Union City, Not any more I have changed my life, but i still have knowledge of what is happening at street level - and there are still active robbery's daily, which are not reported most happen between hours 1am - 4am

Things have changed in union city- there is plenty of police presence - but they can not be every where at the same time

During the day time up till about 10pm you are as safe as can be that is any where in Union City -

Yes you should be careful at night and always be aware

Last edited by Hello001; 09-10-2012 at 01:02 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,453 times
Default 500 central avenue

Hi Everyone,

Can you tell me how safe or unsafe is 500 Central avenue?

Regards,
Inanewland

Old 04-18-2013, 12:09 PM

54 posts, read 208,224 times
I live in Weehawken a half block from UC with my husband and daughter. I'm a white girl from the Midwest, professional, college educated, and all around middle class, and I consider UC gritty but not scary. Our daughter goes to a daycare with amazing, loving Hispanic ladies who take fantastic care of her, and bonus, she's learning Spanish. I'm not afraid to take her to the park or go for walks in our neighborhood. Of course there are other issues like parking and the sheer mass of humanity, but it's no more dangerous than any other urban community.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 AM

2 posts, read 8,453 times
Thank you kristir.

I am glad to know that you found a good daycare for your daughter. You are actually right.. exposure to new culture and language allows children to pick it up... and its always nice to learn something new

Thanks a ton for your reply.

Regards,
Inanewland

Old 07-02-2014, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,610 times
How is the 3rd st and Berline Ave area?

Old 08-06-2014, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,480 times
How about Summit Ave & 8th St, right around Paterson Plank Road?

Old 08-08-2014, 12:11 PM

50 posts, read 67,700 times
I have been living in union city for the past 5 yrs and I def don't find it unsafe. I have had no problems at all. There were many nights that I would arrive home in the middle of the night from a night out in the city with my friends , I am a female by the way. I think it is all a frame of mind, and what people tell you. I am looking for a new apartment for myself and my family, it's been really difficult finding something nice in the area, but I refuse to look in jersey city because I am really scared to live there with what everyone has told me :-/

Old 08-08-2014, 07:36 PM

165 posts, read 351,022 times
25 years in UC, in the teens between Central and Bergenline. Loved it there but went to private schools

Safety is not an issue, but schooling is, else I would have stayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey