Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:17 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,867,662 times

Advertisements

I was talking to someone who said the only way stations are staying in business these days is with the "C-stores". Of course, many old gas stations do not have roofs over the pumps let alone a fancy convenience store.

In Midland Park, the Randy's Citgo is now gone as of a few weeks ago. On Franklin Ave (?) in Oakland (might have a different name in Oakland vs Franklin Lakes) there was a station in the middle of a residential area before you hit Route 202 that is now gone. Another one that isn't coming to mind is not also out of business but I distinctly remember at least 3 having gone out of business in the past few months.

Then of course nobody wants to buy these properties because of the potential disaster for enviro clean up.

We've got 3 former gas stations in Midland Park now all on Godwin ave. They are working on the U-Save I guess, that is going to take ~10 years or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 03:23 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,846 times
There is one that went out of business in Wood-Ridge (on Valley Blvd) he was a CROOK though - always 10 cents or more higher than everyone else.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:48 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,938 times
A family member who works in the fuel business told me that only the big name companies will be selling gas eventually.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:03 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,613,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
A family member who works in the fuel business told me that only the big name companies will be selling gas eventually.
The little guys... "mom and pop stations" as we call them have been being forced out of business for the past 10 yrs. Between changing environmental regulations and the Big Name shops moving in..they can't survive. It's Sad!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
Yeah - and THAT will really help competition and bring prices down for the consumer... Capitalism works so well....

Old 08-12-2008, 03:36 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,423,902 times
I know that the gas station on 15 south aka "The last gas station before route 80" closed down.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:40 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I was talking to someone who said the only way stations are staying in business these days is with the "C-stores". Of course, many old gas stations do not have roofs over the pumps let alone a fancy convenience store.
I dislike the C-store reference. The Gasoline Retailers of NJ are not called that any more. It's now NJ GCA (New Jersey Gasoline C store Automotive Association) Why they needed a name change is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
The little guys... "mom and pop stations" as we call them have been being forced out of business for the past 10 yrs. Between changing environmental regulations and the Big Name shops moving in..they can't survive. It's Sad!
I'd have to say it's longer then that.
I left the business in 1993 when I was pregnant with my daughter.
Back then things were bad for us.
We were Sunoco during the 80's, at some point Sunoco didn't want us because we didn't pump enough (under 120,000 gallons.

We were unbranded in the 90's. I remember my dad looking for a loan in 95 so that he could upgrade the tanks & pumps. Very tough times, couldn't afford to hire help, he had to use credit cards which he did not believe in.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:12 AM

17,007 posts, read 12,602,310 times
>I know that the gas station on 15 south aka "The last gas station before route 80" closed down.<

Didnt he have a store in there?

Old 08-12-2008, 06:18 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,423,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>I know that the gas station on 15 south aka "The last gas station before route 80" closed down.<

Didnt he have a store in there?
well, yeah, very small, nothing fancy, just get your coffee or a quick soda kinda shop. But I believe they went out of business because of the Gas station that opened up across the street from the New Orleans steakhouse on Berkshire Valley Rd, seems everyone was stopping there for gas but mind you, that gas station doesn't have a store either.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 AM

13,407 posts, read 28,741,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
I know that the gas station on 15 south aka "The last gas station before route 80" closed down.
He was in a heap of trouble for ripping the public off. From what I heard from another Sunoco dealer, sunoco themselves shut his sorry butt down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey