Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Even.....so for me I guess it all depends

And I can do just about anything except write with either hand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 10:22 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i'm more left than right. but i'm also left handed, which means i should be a right brained thinker.

"lefties are the only ones in their right brain"
Same here Tahiti. Left-handed, but I am always on the losing Pictionary team. And I am always the cause for the defeat. I can't draw a stick figure.

I always thought we had an advantage though, when it came to tossing quarters into the basket on the GSP.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:22 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
interesting! all lefties? It's not supposed to be a heretitary (sp) trait is it?
they are unclear. some say it's a dominant/recessive trait, which makes sense to me (both my parents were righty, but i assume they both had the recessive gene). some say it's not positively inherited.

our story gets even a bit stranger. i golf/bat righty, throw lefty. the one son who resembles me bats/golfs righty, throws lefty. my DH throws and bowls righty, and golf/bats lefty. the other son who resembles him does it exactly the way he does. it's creepy.

Last edited by tahiti; 08-20-2008 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: had it mixed up

Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
tahiti - Only 2% of women are left-handed, while in men, about 10% are. There are also studies that indicate there is a 2-4 point average increase in I.Q. due to being left-handed! The brain is cross-wired so we can say with certainty that:

Only left-handed people are in their right minds!
And, a life insurance actuarial will reveal that our life expectancy is on average, 8 years lower than a right handed person.

Clinton and Bush 41 were left handed. And our next president will be left handed as well. Unless a third party candidate is voted in, anyway.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
they are unclear. some say it's a dominant/recessive trait, which makes sense to me (both my parents were righty, but i assume they both had the recessive gene). some say it's not positively inherited.

our story gets even a bit stranger. i golf/bat righty, throw lefty. the one son who resembles me bats/golfs righty, throws lefty. my DH throws and bowls lefty, and golf/bats right. the other son who resembles him does it exactly the way he does. it's creepy.
Ok, that's bizarre. I also bat/golf right handed, as well as eat right handed. Actually, I am comfortable eating lefty, and I can bat lefty if I want to, but am better at both left.

Everything else I am prohibitively lefty, except writing. I can write right handed at least as clearly as lefty, but too slowly to render it practical.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Same here Tahiti. Left-handed, but I am always on the losing Pictionary team. And I am always the cause for the defeat. I can't draw a stick figure.

I always thought we had an advantage though, when it came to tossing quarters into the basket on the GSP.
that is the ONLY advantage lefties have in this country. (just a little nugget of information for ya).

i can't draw either. it's truly pathetic. a 4 year old does better than I, and that's no lie.

did you have a hard time with cards when you were younger? my right handed family didn't realize I held cards differently until my dad came up from behind me one time (I was probably 10 or so) and said "what the hell are you doing?". He then fanned the cards out correctly for me so I could see the corner numbers. He had to do that for awhile as I was all thumbs! LOL Why cards don't by default have the numbers on all four corners is beyond me.

One lefty thing I don't do is curl my wrist when I write.

I also remember thinking I found nirvana when I sat in a "lefty" desk in college. I'd get to class early to snag that coveted seat, LOL.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:34 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:

our story gets even a bit stranger. i golf/bat righty, throw lefty. the one son who resembles me bats/golfs righty, throws lefty. my DH throws and bowls righty, and golf/bats lefty. the other son who resembles him does it exactly the way he does. it's creepy.
That is creepy..perhaps your kids are your twins from previous lives

Old 08-20-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Ok, that's bizarre. I also bat/golf right handed, as well as eat right handed. Actually, I am comfortable eating lefty, and I can bat lefty if I want to, but am better at both left.

Everything else I am prohibitively lefty, except writing. I can write right handed at least as clearly as lefty, but too slowly to render it practical.
as far as what my husband and one son do, i had it mixed up - they throw righty and bat lefty, i had it mixed up.

i can eat or write with my right if i had to. but like you with writing, i have to go slower.

lefties have more ability with their right hands than righties do with their left, just because of our right-dominated society.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
And, a life insurance actuarial will reveal that our life expectancy is on average, 8 years lower than a right handed person.

Clinton and Bush 41 were left handed. And our next president will be left handed as well. Unless a third party candidate is voted in, anyway.
yup, because of my earlier mentioned right dominated society, we're more accident prone.

my aunt was forced to write with her right hand in school (need I have to mention it was catholic school?). "sinister" and all that nonsense.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
tahiti - Only 2% of women are left-handed, while in men, about 10% are. There are also studies that indicate there is a 2-4 point average increase in I.Q. due to being left-handed! The brain is cross-wired so we can say with certainty that:

Only left-handed people are in their right minds!
that's what I meant to say! LOL

i thought i knew everything about being left handed, but I didn't know that only 2% of women are lefty! but if the general population is 10% lefthanded, and men are 10%, should women be 10 or 11%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: