Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:35 AM

266 posts, read 547,887 times

Advertisements

Carbs, carbs and more carbs! I can feel my sugar levels rising! Curses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 07:40 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyFiftyAboutCO View Post
Oh no! Now I HAVE to make the lasagna! A friend was just telling me on the phone that Stouffer's makes good lasagna (and for frozen food, it IS good), but I told her it's not even close to our family recipe. I haven't tasted the family lasagna since my Dad made it for me when he lived in Tucson back in the early 90's, so it's about time. It's not difficult to do -- just takes a lot of time with the sauce and meat, then the layering with the ricotta and so forth (can you believe some people use cottage cheese? No way!!).

I knew NJMike would agree on the Italian food. As for New Year's, I don't even stay up anymore except if I hear somebody shooting off fireworks at midnight. One glass of wine at a time is about my speed, so that wouldn't affect my appetite. I just bought a small 6-bottle wine cooler for my kitchen counter, and yesterday went out and bought 6 bottles of wine to stash in it, so I'm all set for the winter. I don't care about New Year's at all -- by then, I've had enough of the holidays, and suspect I've got a lot of company on that score.
I think my parents lied to me about not being Italian!!! I even talk with my hands.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:48 PM

468 posts, read 580,535 times
I think that's just a NJ thing in general

Old 11-26-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey Ann View Post
Carbs, carbs and more carbs! I can feel my sugar levels rising! Curses!
Bring on the carbs, I can handle them.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
I think that's just a NJ thing in general
Tie my hands behind my back and I have a hard time talking.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:53 PM

468 posts, read 580,535 times
I don't

Old 11-26-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
I don't
It's something I picked up as a kid. Must have been the environment.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Oh no! Now I HAVE to make the lasagna! A friend was just telling me on the phone that Stouffer's makes good lasagna (and for frozen food, it IS good), but I told her it's not even close to our family recipe. I haven't tasted the family lasagna since my Dad made it for me when he lived in Tucson back in the early 90's, so it's about time. It's not difficult to do -- just takes a lot of time with the sauce and meat, then the layering with the ricotta and so forth (can you believe some people use cottage cheese? No way!!).

I knew NJMike would agree on the Italian food. As for New Year's, I don't even stay up anymore except if I hear somebody shooting off fireworks at midnight. One glass of wine at a time is about my speed, so that wouldn't affect my appetite. I just bought a small 6-bottle wine cooler for my kitchen counter, and yesterday went out and bought 6 bottles of wine to stash in it, so I'm all set for the winter. I don't care about New Year's at all -- by then, I've had enough of the holidays, and suspect I've got a lot of company on that score.
New Year's Eve doesn't have the attraction, for me, that it had years ago. Maybe because I've worked the last few.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:41 PM

189 posts, read 710,999 times
Default New Year's, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
New Year's Eve doesn't have the attraction, for me, that it had years ago. Maybe because I've worked the last few.
My main problem with New Year's Eve is drunks on the road. Plus I guess when I was a kid, I used to get sad on that night because another great year had passed, or maybe because I felt left out of the fun. I always thought it would be great to be at Times Square, but Dad told me it was a bad scene with all kinds of jerks around and stuff like that. My folks, though good people, were very conservative socially -- they probably had their reasons. Everybody has a story to tell about why they are the way they are.

So, I never made it to Times Square on New Years, but on 12/15/65, I went to NYC with my school roommate and had a fantastic time taking in all the sights. A fluffy snow fell all day -- just gorgeous with all the lights. We had our first "legal" drink at Stouffer's. We wanted to eat at Top of the Six's, but the wait was too long, so we went to Stouffer's. We were in the city from early in the morning till about 9 or 10 at night, then hopped the bus for Montclair. It's still one of my best memories.

Oh, and, I also talk with my hands -- is there any other way? My Italian Dad didn't use his hands much, so I wonder where I picked it up. Maybe from my Godfather/uncle who came from Naples in 1920 and had a very thick Italian accent -- and a temper to go with it.

With 43 years between me and NJ, I still like to see the Rockettes at the Macy's Parade, and yesterday was no exception. Hope you all had a great feast day.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
My main problem with New Year's Eve is drunks on the road. Plus I guess when I was a kid, I used to get sad on that night because another great year had passed, or maybe because I felt left out of the fun. I always thought it would be great to be at Times Square, but Dad told me it was a bad scene with all kinds of jerks around and stuff like that. My folks, though good people, were very conservative socially -- they probably had their reasons. Everybody has a story to tell about why they are the way they are.

So, I never made it to Times Square on New Years, but on 12/15/65, I went to NYC with my school roommate and had a fantastic time taking in all the sights. A fluffy snow fell all day -- just gorgeous with all the lights. We had our first "legal" drink at Stouffer's. We wanted to eat at Top of the Six's, but the wait was too long, so we went to Stouffer's. We were in the city from early in the morning till about 9 or 10 at night, then hopped the bus for Montclair. It's still one of my best memories.

Oh, and, I also talk with my hands -- is there any other way? My Italian Dad didn't use his hands much, so I wonder where I picked it up. Maybe from my Godfather/uncle who came from Naples in 1920 and had a very thick Italian accent -- and a temper to go with it.

With 43 years between me and NJ, I still like to see the Rockettes at the Macy's Parade, and yesterday was no exception. Hope you all had a great feast day.
I managed to get to Times Square for New Year's Eve 1999/2000. The crowd was extremely large but there were no problems. I think NYPD arrested 6 people for "on street drinking" even though the drinkers were behaving. The crowd was controlled for being so large. Of course the large police presence had a lot to do with it.

It satisfied my wanting to be there for New Year's Eve so I probably won't do it again. The same goes for watching the Macy's parade and watching the balloons being blown up the night before. All were interesting but not habit forming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey