Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,251 times

Advertisements

We (My wife and I) are looking at moving from Rockland County to Northern Jersey. Some where closer to NYC (Within 45 mins to Penn or 35 mins to Hoboken) and with a train station in town will be plus but bus station is good too. As long as the town is safe.

We both have big families. So more than half of the times in the year there are friends and families visiting. We are hoping on purchasing a 2 Families house or mom and daughter type. So we can have a little distance from our family and guests. Our budget is around $400K to $500K. We have no kids and no plan for the next 4 -5 years. School zone doesn't bother us.

We love fort lee, and Paramus. But both are way out of our range. Can anyone suggest a nice and safe area in this range? Around Northern and Central NJ.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 11:35 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
You can get a fairly large home in Maplewood for that kind of money. It may be a bit far or right on the cusp of where you want to be with travel time. It is a very nice town with a downtown and lots of old tudors and colonials. There is a mid town direct train which at rush hour is about 25 min to Penn Station. The taxes are pretty high though. South Orange is right next door and very similar.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:45 AM

82 posts, read 324,788 times
maplewood. Moderator cut: no soliciting

Last edited by tahiti; 09-09-2008 at 11:58 AM..

Old 09-09-2008, 12:44 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
I would highly recommend the Fairmont section of Hackensack. You can get a house for that price range, taxes will be high (as if Rockland had low taxes). Train station is Anderson street (Pascack Line). Also tons of buses that get you to the Port Authority or to the Bridge Bus Station. 10 years ago if someone would have told me that I would be recommending Hackensack I would have said they were nuts. But I actually did live there and I liked the convenience and I liked the community. Come halloween you need to drive on clinton place (off summit) to see how wacky people decorate for halloween!

Old 09-09-2008, 01:21 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Where is the line between safe and VERY nice looking (maplewood) and being shot (Irvington)?

BTW google streetview is available for many streets in the area. Alot of VERY pretty houses and lots and lots of trees.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 21,342 times
It may be a little bit on the far end of travel time, but Montclair/Little Falls/Cedar Grove are very nice. The Caldwells are great but they do not have rail service, but you can park without a permit at Little Falls and it's a 10 minute max drive to the train. There is also bus service to Port Authority on Bloomfield Ave in the Caldwells/Verona.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:25 PM

342 posts, read 717,087 times
Hawthorne has a lot of 2 family houses - small town - seems to be a very safe town as well.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 PM

63 posts, read 132,551 times
Hawthorne is a good town, and it's on the train line. You might also try Fair Lawn--easy transportation and on the line. There are a lot of capes in Fair Lawn that are bigger than they look, and right now, prices are down. You liked Paramus, and that's right next door. Check the tax rate. Hawthorne might be a bit lower there, but FL has good services. Train to Penn Station is about 40 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey