Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:20 PM

576 posts, read 1,597,292 times

Advertisements

http://www.securityworld.com/ia-442-2005-most-dangerous-cities-to-live-in.aspx (broken link)

This is a pretty interesting website I acctually found from a link in another forum. I know I've argued in prior threads how JC shouldnt be classified as a "safe" city (maybe just downtown), but even this website took me by suprise. It lists all the places in NJ youd think that have the highest crime, but if you look under most dangerous cities population 100,000-250,000 it lists Jersey City. I know this data is from 2005 but it cant be that off from the present. I gotta say I had no idea JC would be ranked up there with some of the worst. I know Tommyc will jump in and try to find some type of loop hole in this data but I just found this data pretty suprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 07:52 AM

730 posts, read 2,888,871 times
Are you serious with this list?

Where did this data come from because it is a complete joke.

You are going to seriously say that Springfield IL and Pompano Beach FL are dangerous places to live? Come on. Miami is on there. Miami is about just as dangerous as most big cities are. BIG CITIES ARE DANGEROUS!!! What is the point of this post? Why is it that so many people have a freakin hard on for JC?

Get over it already!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:16 AM

Woah lady chill out, I brought up this site cause I found it funny too. And the whole point of it was because of that on going thread about saftey in JC, just figured i'd post this and see what people think about the list.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 AM

What's the point in posting more misleading information about crime rates in NJ cities???

Old 09-15-2008, 09:34 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,274,470 times
We've discussed this ad nauseum. The conclusion that we came to is that Jersey City is right on par with similar-sized cities in terms of crime. Average crime for a city of it's size.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 AM

So what qualifies it as misleading, because you said so? Seems like a pretty legit website to me. I do agree its pretty crazy that it made that list, hence why I posted it. I figured theres always talk on this forum about JC and saftey and where to live , so I posted that figuring some people would find it interesting like myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
What's the point in posting more misleading information about crime rates in NJ cities???

Old 09-15-2008, 10:43 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,505 times
Jersey City is not an average city, whatever that is. Crime stats never tell you the whole story. There are quality of life issues in a place like JC that you may not find in those other cities. Those issues are related to crime but are not reflected in crime stats as they usually go unreported. Stats being similar means very little when you are talking day to day reality.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
So what qualifies it as misleading, because you said so? Seems like a pretty legit website to me. I do agree its pretty crazy that it made that list, hence why I posted it. I figured theres always talk on this forum about JC and saftey and where to live , so I posted that figuring some people would find it interesting like myself.
Taken directly from your link...

The data collection methodology for the offense of aggravated assault used by these agencies does not comply with national UCR guidelines. Consequently, their figures for aggravated assault and violent crime (of which aggravated assault is a part) are not included in this table.7 After examining the data and making inquiries, the FBI determined that the agency's offense count was inflated. Consequently, this figure is not included in this table.8 After examining the data and making inquiries, the FBI determined that the agency's offense count was underreported. Consequently, this figure is not included in this table.9 After examining the data and making inquiries, the FBI determined that the agency's offense count was misclassified. Consequently, this figure is not included in this table. The data collection methodology for the offense of aggravated assault used by these agencies does not comply with national UCR guidelines. Consequently, their figures for aggravated assault and violent crime (of which aggravated assault is a part) are not included in this table.7 After examining the data and making inquiries, the FBI determined that the agency's offense count was inflated. Consequently, this figure is not included in this table.8 After examining the data and making inquiries, the FBI determined that the agency's offense count was underreported. Consequently, this figure is not included in this table.9 After examining the data and making inquiries, the FBI determined that the agency's offense count was misclassified. Consequently, this figure is not included in this table.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:43 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,274,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Jersey City is not an average city, whatever that is. Crime stats never tell you the whole story. There are quality of life issues in a place like JC that you may not find in those other cities. Those issues are related to crime but are not reflected in crime stats as they usually go unreported. Stats being similar means very little when you are talking day to day reality.
No idea what this means. Have you ever lived in a city?

Old 09-15-2008, 12:39 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,505 times
Yes, I have lived in this city more than once. When you live in a city this size (and it is not a large city) and you have significant low income populations- there will be problems not reflective in these sorts of stats. That is just the way it is. There are cities of similar size in the U.S. where people report every crime imaginable. Jersey City is not one of these types of places.

A good portion of the population there has a traditionally luke warm relationship with the police department. And I am being generous there. Crime is not just murders and shootings. There are many other issues that affect quality of life. There are sunbelt cities where I would say those stats would at least be a bit more helpful but not in a town like JC. They are not enough- not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey